Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I compete?

#1 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-22, 22:30

I preempt light. Partner is intermediate, plays 2/1, and we both have typical gadgets. Opponents are intermediates and LHO seems a tad aggressive.

Pass, 3H, 4H?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-23, 00:18

Pass
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 05:46

Pass. It is pretty rare to compete over 2NT with a suit; if 3 was playable they would surely go down a lot.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-23, 05:51

To overcall here is pretty scary. I'd do it if I needed action, but otherwise just pass.

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 05:59

Pass, but in the not unlikely event of it going 3d P P back to you, I would bid now.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 07:35

The problem with pre-empting 4 here (3 is not a pre-empt you arren't stealing much room) is that both of them have bid and one of them has described his hand fairly well (his 2nt is 10-12 Balancedno 4 card Major) you are not therefore not given South much of a problem, he should know what to do, X bid Game, look for Slam - stiff A would be a huge card in a 3154 or shapier hand! If the 2nt bidder is aggressive, maybe they'll overbid and get to a bad spot!

Also your suit is terrible KJ empty into 2 10+ hands brrrr.

In first seat easy bid, here all you are doing is giving good players the opportunity of getting better scores, save your ammo for a better time.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-January-23, 11:55

I pass here as bidding is likely giving the opps a "fielder's choice".

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-23, 12:20

It would help, just a bit, to know what 2N meant. A lot of players use to to show about 11 hcp and a flat hand. In that case, 3 is a tiny bit safer than if RHO was showing an opening hand.

However, I would pass this hand in any event. The suit is too weak.....and we rate not to have entries to dummy to lead up to the KJ anyway....and this is an easy situation for the opps to double....opener already knows a lot about his partner's hand.

If they do play 2N as limit, and LHO bails, we can balance later, as phil pointed out
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 19:44

At the table, the hand shown was my RHO's hand. After she bid 4, my only problem, with a void in hearts, was figuring out whether it was a club slam or diamond slam and getting there. 7 was cold, but we ended up with second from top making 6+1 doubled!

4 was too much information.

#10 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 09:26

I suggest you wait for favorable colours b4 trying 3 this only applies to IMPS where 3X might actually be a save
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users