Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declaring convention Before making your first bid

#1 User is offline   Capt_Ravi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-20, 08:40

Can this suggestion be considered and implemented?
Before the first bid is made by either pair (other than a PASS may be), at least in tournaments where players register as a pair, the bidding box should go live only after the basic convention box is checked, say Precision or SAYC.
It is too frustrating to see 1C, 1D and 2C, 2D opened without this explanation. Often, requests for amplification are met with a deafening silence.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-September-20, 18:25

Players should alert non-standard bids. If you're playing in an ACBL event, and they don't alert 1, you can reasonably assume the standard meaning.

Requests for explanation are met with silence because the opponents can't imagine what you expect them to say about a standard opening bid.

#3 User is offline   kmb111621 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-09, 09:30

Since the ACBL requires convention cards, BBO should not allow a partnership to register for ACBL events without a posted convention card
The software knows if here is an existing convention card for the partnership since it can add it to the menu for play. It is tiresome to constantly call the director when the opponents card is not posted.

By not allowing registrations delays for calling the director would be shortened. It should be a relatively simple change to the registration process. And the person issuing the invite would be alerted prior to the invite being issued

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-October-11, 23:16

View Postkmb111621, on 2020-October-09, 09:30, said:

Since the ACBL requires convention cards, BBO should not allow a partnership to register for ACBL events without a posted convention card
The software knows if here is an existing convention card for the partnership since it can add it to the menu for play. It is tiresome to constantly call the director when the opponents card is not posted.

This would be a difficult requirement for pick-up partnerships to meet.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-12, 06:19

View Postbarmar, on 2020-October-11, 23:16, said:

This would be a difficult requirement for pick-up partnerships to meet.

Wouldn’t pick-up partnerships use one of the CCs provided by BBO? If I played with a pick-up partner, I would definitely use one of those exactly as written. What other option is there?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-October-12, 08:44

View PostVampyr, on 2020-October-12, 06:19, said:

Wouldn't pick-up partnerships use one of the CCs provided by BBO? If I played with a pick-up partner, I would definitely use one of those exactly as written. What other option is there?
Presumably, another option is to agree a card :) but not to share it with opponents :(

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-12, 09:36

Or just ask insistently about an opponent's well explained bid whenever you want to show the same suit :angry:

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-14, 14:55

View PostVampyr, on 2020-October-12, 06:19, said:

Wouldn’t pick-up partnerships use one of the CCs provided by BBO? If I played with a pick-up partner, I would definitely use one of those exactly as written. What other option is there?

No, they could make completely random bids and freely distribute tops and bottoms to their opponents.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users