• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cue opponent's suit

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-24, 05:15

MP, Instant

This is another example of where, IN MY OPINION, a cue bid of an opponent's suit systemically shows an unnecessarily strong hand. The explanation is truncated but it is forcing to 3N.

Possibly I should have rebid 3C. Some did and got to play there (opposite previous version of GIB). Normally I get around the problem by opening 1N on 14-18 counts, but I was ahead so thought it best to bid with the room.

Anyway, explanation aside, what are you supposed to do opposite the neg double with a balanced hand, too strong to open 1N, too weak to open 2N, fewer than 4 cards in the unbid major, and no guard in the opponent's suit? Next time I won't have the luxury of a 5 card Club suit as a fall-back.

Personally, I think that the cue of oppo suit has been presented on a plate for such hands, and I do not think that such hands are strong enough to force to 3N if partner cannot contribute the missing guard and a trump fit has yet to be established and is not guaranteed.

Of interest also is North's 3D bid. There is no guarantee of South having 4 Diamonds, but if he does then, for his 1C opener, at least according to GIB system, South would also have a 5th Club. In my opinion 3C would be a more sensible bid than 3D. But I suppose if we are forced to 3N he might be just bidding where his values are. Doesn't help me to judge whether to retreat to 4C however.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-24, 12:11

Agree on all counts. Your hand is worth a cue bid, which should be a game try, not a game force. N should show its fit and weakness with 3C, ending the auction.

Once again, not a programming issue, but one in which the explanations do not reflect sound bridge logic.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-24, 12:21

View Postiandayre, on 2015-May-24, 12:11, said:

Once again, not a programming issue, but one in which the explanations do not reflect sound bridge logic.

Well, it is a programming issue, in as much as GIB North actually bid 3D not 3C.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-24, 16:35

No. As you said earlier, if the cue IS a game force, then 3D, showing location of values, is reasonable. The programming is fine but it is based on a poor definition of the cue bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users