• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

auction all over the shop

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-25, 04:14

MP, Insane

I wasn't asleep when I failed to double 4S. I just wanted to see what GIB would do in the passout seat having already attempted to double 3S for penalties a round earlier. True to form, he passes it out.

Not that there aren't rich pickings for discussion of most of the other bids in this auction. OK I was a point or so light for the 1N bid, but thereafter ...
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 10:36

The first nonsense call is East's double of 3H. I can't imagine a more clear-cut pass. And look at the description - a huge point range, but EXACTLY 2 Hearts, why?? How does that make any sense?

Yet E has only a singleton H, and doubles anyway, and not surprisingly, E-W are in the soup. I'm not sure which happens more often, GIB bids when it is clear to pass, or GIB passes when it is clear to bid, but both are far, far too common.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-25, 12:35

iandayre, on 2015-May-25, 10:36, said:

And look at the description - a huge point range, but EXACTLY 2 Hearts, why?? How does that make any sense?

I'm also curious as to how West's second double shows exactly 2 hearts.

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 16:54

Bbradley62, on 2015-May-25, 12:35, said:

I'm also curious as to how West's second double shows exactly 2 hearts.

Probably comes from a hidden definition of the first double- must include 2 of every suit to double 1NT.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-25, 18:09

cloa513, on 2015-May-25, 16:54, said:

Probably comes from a hidden definition of the first double- must include 2 of every suit to double 1NT.

I can't penalty double 1NT when I expect to be on lead with xxx, x, AKQJT987, x ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users