• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would You Pre-Empt Or Am I Crazy To Even Think About It

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-June-12, 17:18

Pretty obvious pass. I would not have booted you but had you been a permanent pd you would now be on probation.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-14, 00:43

I've seen it once on a 5-card suit and a hand similar to that, and it worked. I've seen a few times on pretty weak 6-baggers, and it usually doesn't work. Honestly, I would laugh if you did it with me, because it's for fun, but unless trying to swing I don't recommend it.

If you had a good 6-card suit like KJTxxx or better, I would consider it mandatory at these colors.

Boy, have I changed from a few years ago, when I wouldn't even consider 3m pre-empts on 6 when NV.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-14, 08:17

x
xxx
JT9x
KQJxx

would be a fine 3 pree oppsite a passed pard and NV vs V. Lots of offense, zero defense.

#24 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-June-14, 17:04

Pre-empt? On 9 points and a poor 5-card suit? Are you mental?

#25 User is offline   delplata 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-14, 18:53

WITH AN UNKNOWN PARTNER I WOULD PASS. WITH A REGULR ONE DEPENDS ON OUR AGREEMENTS. HOWEVER, I WOULD NEVER AGREE TO PREEMPT AT THE 3 LEVEL WITH 5 CARDS IN THE SUIT.

#26 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 21:00

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-June-12, 09:25, said:

man i feel old. would pass.

So much this lol. 3C is just really awful, we have an ace and a king and 2 jacks, I agree with the poster who said x xxx JTxx KQJTx is fine, but you need an exceptional hand to preempt on a 5 card suit even third seat vul and this hand is not close to it.

1C is fine also to me, I don't think theres much between 1C and pass. The lighter you open in first the better 1C becomes.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#27 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-June-14, 21:25

The preempt is not advised because of the K and A. That is two likely defensive tricks. Silly me, change the K to small, I would bid 3. IT is quite ok to be crazy with hands like this at this vul, I do it all the time. But the preempt needs to be a true weak one, or a better suit. That is if you have a better quality hand, it is still ok to preempt, but don't have good defense and poor suit. You are just asking for trouble. The other day my student made a preemptive 2 overcall on xx AJ98x Axx Jx. He had way too much defense (not unlike the hand in the op, and not enough hearts. IF he had made a more normal 1 overcall the world would have been a much better place.
--Ben--

#28 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-16, 06:24

The only preempt I would consider is 1NT. I do not like 3, not because the hand (or suit) is too weak, but because I have too much defence. In this position and vulnerability requiring 7 clubs is poor - 6 clubs is fine and 5 very good ones with some shape and no defence is not off the rails. 7 spades and 10hcp is just not a possible hand for Opener to hold here imo.

For reference, here are some suggestions of 3rd seat green 3 preempts from Robson/Segal:-

KQT9x xxxx x Qxx
KJT8x - Jxxxx Qxx
QJT8x x xxx 8xxx

In general you should not go less pure than these, esepcially without prior agreement.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users