Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative double then bid

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-28, 22:34

Should the 2 description include an upper limit on hand strength?

PS: No, I don't know why the human didn't simply bid 2 over 1.

#2 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-October-30, 11:41

From that point of view for this hand 2 although not specified in description is not forcing for GIB.

Forcing is:
- 2 ( or cue overcall ) to show 4+ in OM and 5+ fit in opening.
- 3other minor jump, showing 4+4+ and GF

Or direct overcall with longer suit and introducing new later.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 12:01

What do you do with a hand too strong for a simple overcall and yet has not 4 in OM? In other words, with the hand stated?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 13:35

View Postgeorgi, on 2013-October-30, 11:41, said:

From that point of view for this hand 2 although not specified in description is not forcing for GIB.

Forcing is:
- 2 ( or cue overcall ) to show 4+ in OM and 5+ fit in opening.
- 3other minor jump, showing 4+4+ and GF

Or direct overcall with longer suit and introducing new later.

This is completely non-std. GIB doesn't/shouldn't play negative free bids as they are quite a minority treatment. On other auctions free bid is forcing, isn't it?
2 should DENY 4+ in OM and show fit in opening. With 5+ OM, bid OM. With 4cd OM, negative double, force to game (either bid some game, 3nt, or cue bid) later.

jumps are probably weak for most people, though I suppose it's possible for GIB to play fit jumps. Surely a jump in the other minor should, if fit jump, show FIVE+ in other minor, 4+ in opening minor, at least, not just 4-4. I think weak jump shift (6/7 cd suit, no support) is probably more common though and what I'd want GIB to play since I think simpler is better given large range of people using it.

Also, the term here is "free bid" by south, not "overcall".

#5 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-October-30, 15:23

Hm,

let's say i went into language trouble again.

I didn't say 2 as first possible call-cuebid shows 5+ fit in opening and 4+ cards in OM.

I referred to the title which leads to situation that you already gave a double and what to do next.

So , for GIB next is what i wrote.

Agree for the term - free bid of course.

GIB wouldn't start with double and later introduce 5+ of any suit. If that 5+ suit is the opening, cuebid of overcall will follow showing limit raise or better hand.

If the suit is another one, would just bid 2X and later will cuebid.

Imagine you have the rest two suits even, not just one. So starting with double will prevent any chance of showing it later.

You probably not want auction like:
1 - 1 - X ( with 5+ 5+ ) - 4
P - P - ?

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-30, 16:39

Oh I see, I was confused, I was thinking you meant what the bids mean immediately after 1 overcall, not on second round after negative double.

GIB wouldn't start with double and later introduce 5+ of any suit. If that 5+ suit is the opening, cuebid of overcall will follow showing limit raise or better hand.

Hmm, I think GIB should allow to bid some hand like x KQxx xxx Kxxxx by double then support clubs.
1c-(1s)-x-(p);1nt-(p)-?:
2C: maybe ~7-9/10?
3C: ~10-12
2S: GF, and not necessarily club support.
Cue bid after negative double should = GF, not LR+. I think dbl with x AKQx Axxxx xxx after partner open 1c is fine. You want to hear partner support heart if opp raise spade, but partner won't introduce heart if you bid diamonds. And auction may prevent you from bidding 3H yourself.

It should also be able to introduce diamonds with a weaker hand with same type of shape, 4-5/4-6 in the reds.

What it should avoid doing is neg double holding 5+ suit and GF values, or 5+ H and ~10+.

If the suit is another one, would just bid 2X and later will cuebid.

This works if you have GF. But it may not be best call with GF and 4 cd only hearts, it may be hard to find heart fit. And doesn't work if you are strong enough to neg dbl, but not strong enough to bid 2X.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users