• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The little things that they do

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-24, 08:33

I hate it when opponents do something that is clearly wrong, but you hate to make a big deal of it by calling the director. Examples:

Recently I was playing a match and my RHO opponent had his scorecard, on which he was recording the opening leads, open right in front of him. I asked him if he could fold it if he was going to write down the leads. The next hand he turned the card over after recording the lead, but he did not do so for any of the rest of the half-match that he played against me. I felt that calling the director would be making too much of the matter, but I played ten boards very unhappy.

Last night in a duplicate I faced one of those people who think they are clever by attempting to anticipate what declarer is going to play next and detaching their card in advance. Perhaps the UI involved is subtle, but it definitely exists, especially when declarer does something different and the card has to be restored to the hand.

I am wondering what other little things people put up with, normally without calling the director?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 08:57

A little like your second example, I have come across people who will detach a discard from their hand when you are running a long suit before the second and third hands have played to the trick, thereby telling everyone that their discard does not depend on the cards they are about to see. Here, I think the UI is potentially quite strong, though I guess there won't be many cases where it actually matters. I have certainly asked oppo not to do this, and I think I may once even have called the TD when they persisted, so I guess it doesn't quite match the question you asked....

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:05

At our club, one of the best pairs will answer "Normal" or "Standard" to any query about one of their bids. The problem being that not once has their normal been what I would have expected. Another woman has the habit of bringing a card v - e - r - y s - l - o - w - l - y out of her hand and resting it on the table in front of her, pausing and finally bringing it down to the played position, also incredibly slowly. Then there are those who mix their cards up quickly when you notice that they revoked thinking they can destroy the evidence. But much worse are those who provide answers in such a condascending tone as to actively try to stop any further questions from coming their way and to put down their opponents. When they do this to my partner it makes me very angry. Actually, I should extend this category to all those who are deliberately unfriendly to try to gain an advantage.

But the worst of all are really those who play most of their cards normally but when they want to give a "very important" signal will play the card halfway across the table making "this is important" eye contact with their partner. Strangely you see this kind of thing more in League bridge (supposedly serious) than at the club. Perhaps it is the lack of an on-site TD.

Actually that is not quite true. The worst are actually the TDs that give bad rulings to appease the regulars.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:19

"Play the...", "Play a..", "Play".

"I'll have the...."

By Declarer, throughout the entire 13 tricks.

Edit: I actually don't mind it the first time I face an unknown opponent, because it is a solid clue about their level. After that, it gets old.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2013-April-24, 09:23

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:20

Another annoyance is the declarer who claims, waves his open hand about for a second, then attempts to return it to the board (worse if he shuffles it first). When you politely ask to see his hand, he refuses (why he should be allowed to refuse escapes me).

A recent example that did end in a director call: Defenders explained to the director that they couldn't agree to the claim without seeing declarer's hand. Declarer asked why the defenders were incapable of counting the hand. Dummy accused the defenders of time-wasting. The director acceded to the defenders' request but declarer still insisted on waving his hand about, instead of placing it face up on the table.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:38

aguahombre, on 2013-April-24, 09:19, said:

"Play the...", "Play a..", "Play".

"I'll have the...."

By Declarer, throughout the entire 13 tricks.

Edit: I actually don't mind it the first time I face an unknown opponent, because it is a solid clue about their level. After that, it gets old.

This is a little different to my examples, because there is no "bridge" effect. But if we want to talk about annoying things, I can't stand it when people a) snap their cards; b) hold their card vertically with one finger and then let it drop to the table.

I don't think that these are as bad as declarer saying just "play" when calling a card from dummy.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:40

WellSpyder, on 2013-April-24, 08:57, said:

I have certainly asked oppo not to do this, and I think I may once even have called the TD when they persisted, so I guess it doesn't quite match the question you asked....

No, I didn't ask it well; I am interested in this sort of thing resulting in director calls too.

#8 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:44

EBU convention cards have the standard card underlined and, if playing non-standard leads, you are to mark any cards that do not coincide with standard methods. Some who print their own cards decide to move the underline to the card they lead, which I find requires much more time and effort to work out what their methods are. I saw a new variant on this recently when I played against a pair who had moved the underline to the card that they lead, while circling the standard card!

#9 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:47

Vampyr, on 2013-April-24, 09:38, said:

I don't think that these are as bad as declarer saying just "play" when calling a card from dummy.

I do this a lot, never heard any objection before. Do you object to the use of "small"? Aren't the two synonymous in this context?

#10 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:53

nige1, on 2013-April-24, 09:20, said:

A recent example that did end in a director call: Defenders explained to the director that they couldn't agree to the claim without seeing declarer's hand. Declarer asked why the defenders were incapable of counting the hand. Dummy accused the defenders of time-wasting. The director acceded to the defenders' request but declarer still insisted on waving his hand about, instead of placing it face up on the table.

Once it has got to this point, the defenders have in effect declined to accede to the claim, and the director should adjudicate it. Realising the consequences of having claims adjudicated, especially if as seems likely there was a rather abbreviated claim statment, I think this would soon put a stop to such arrogant behaviour by the claimers.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-24, 09:56

MickyB, on 2013-April-24, 09:47, said:

I do this a lot, never heard any objection before. Do you object to the use of "small"? Aren't the two synonymous in this context?

Synonymous until the opponent ---mesmerized by "play" used over and over again -- doesn't notice that you slowly added "the Ace"; and/or dummy being equally mesmerized pulls a low card which you didn't intend.

There might be a good reason why "play" is not one of the words mentioned when the rules address informal designations of cards by declarer.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:04

Didn't we have a long thread a few months ago specifically about the legality of "play"? It's not one of the incomplete designations whose meaning is specified in 46B. The question is whether it should be considered equivalent to "small" or "play anything".

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:08

MickyB, on 2013-April-24, 09:44, said:

EBU convention cards have the standard card underlined and, if playing non-standard leads, you are to mark any cards that do not coincide with standard methods. Some who print their own cards decide to move the underline to the card they lead, which I find requires much more time and effort to work out what their methods are. I saw a new variant on this recently when I played against a pair who had moved the underline to the card that they lead, while circling the standard card!

Thanks for the warning! I'd better look carefully in future....

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:17

I object just because I find it annoying. It is weird, too -- of course dummy is going to "play"; the question is "what?". "Small" adequately answers this question.

I once played a session with an American friend who had this mannerism. Every time he said "play" I asked "which one?". He soon stopped doing it. If he hadn't, it would have driven me spare.

#15 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:20

MickyB, on 2013-April-24, 09:44, said:

Some who print their own cards decide to move the underline to the card they lead, which I find requires much more time and effort to work out what their methods are.

How can having just one card underlined/circled possibly be more confusing than having one card circled and one underlined and trying to work out which it the lead the opponents actually use? Perhaps I've misunderstood.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:27

broze, on 2013-April-24, 10:20, said:

How can having just one card underlined/circled possibly be more confusing than having one card circled and one underlined and trying to work out which it the lead the opponents actually use? Perhaps I've misunderstood.

If you glance at the card and just see lots of underlines, you can easily assume that all their leads are standard. You'd have to look more carefully to notice that the underlines are under the "wrong" cards.

#17 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:30

barmar, on 2013-April-24, 10:27, said:

If you glance at the card and just see lots of underlines, you can easily assume that all their leads are standard. You'd have to look more carefully to notice that the underlines are under the "wrong" cards.

Ok - I kind of see. In any case the EBU card has a solution! Above the leads section is a box which you colour in if using non-standard leads. Hence no room for misunderstanding or false assumption.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:40

broze, on 2013-April-24, 10:30, said:

Ok - I kind of see. In any case the EBU card has a solution! Above the leads section is a box which you colour in if using non-standard leads. Hence no room for misunderstanding or false assumption.

You still have to hunt for the ones that are different, and could easily miss one. Using a different way of highlighting your non-standard leads avoids this difficulty. This is the information the opponents most need, it should stand out.

#19 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:55

barmar, on 2013-April-24, 10:40, said:

You still have to hunt for the ones that are different, and could easily miss one. Using a different way of highlighting your non-standard leads avoids this difficulty. This is the information the opponents most need, it should stand out.

Yes, this. Say oppo are playing standard leads, except they don't treat the ten as an honour. If they've circled the 2nd highest card in each Txx(x)(x) combination, it takes about one second to understand their methods. If they've moved the underlines, I need to check every combination listed to see if the card marked is different from standard.

#20 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-24, 10:59

barmar, on 2013-April-24, 10:04, said:

Didn't we have a long thread a few months ago specifically about the legality of "play"? It's not one of the incomplete designations whose meaning is specified in 46B. The question is whether it should be considered equivalent to "small" or "play anything".

Ok, fair enough, I missed that thread. I was under the impression that it was clearly equivalent to "small" and would've guessed it was mentioned in the laws as such.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users