BBO Discussion Forums: Opps DBL conventional bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opps DBL conventional bid What is required for RDBL?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-28, 10:34

After a 1NT opening the Opps DBL a conventional bid and you RDBL.
If you play these RDBLs as business, what is the minimum required and is partner allowed to run?

RDBL by responder:
1NT-(P)-2C-(P)
2D-(DBL)-RDBL

1NT-(P)-2NT!-(P)
3C!-(DBL)-RDBL
2NT=transfer D
3C=Max for D

RDBL by opener:
1NT-(P)-2H-(DBL)
RDBL

1NT-(P)-2C-(DBL)
RDBL

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-February-28, 12:06

1. I play XX is to play. Partner is allowed to run I guess, but it seems unlikely that he would.

2. I'd play XX is a retransfer and pass is penalty. I don't see why I'd prefer a system where I can play 3Cxx but not 3Cx. If it's making, I'm getting a damn good score either way at any form of scoring. Again, opener can run, but it seems unlikely that he would, since I don't penalize willy-nilly.

3. XX to play and yes of course partner can run, since he needn't have values nor hearts for his action so far. Minimum required is a good hand and robust hearts.

4. same as 3, sub clubs for hearts.

edit: In 1, you need to XX to make game, but I should probably consider pass/XX inversion on 3 as well. But at least 2 keeps the "XX by transferrer is a retransfer." You can also play a lot of "pass forces a redouble" stuff to give yourself some room, but I haven't done a lot of thinking along these lines recently.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 10:27

Thanks for the reply!
The first one was in fact most important for me.

kgr said:

1NT-(P)-2C-(P)
2D-(DBL)-RDBL

View Postwyman, on 2013-February-28, 12:06, said:

1. I play XX is to play. Partner is allowed to run I guess, but it seems unlikely that he would.
Wouldn't it be better then to say that he isn't allowed to run? How can he know if running is best? If he runs with a minimum hand and xx in D and decide to run then maybe responder has AJTxx.
...not sure, another agreement can: run if you have only a 2-card (bad luck if responder had really good )?

kgr said:

1NT-(P)-2NT!-(P)
3C!-(DBL)-RDBL
2NT=transfer D
3C=Max for D

2. I'd play XX is a retransfer and pass is penalty. I don't see why I'd prefer a system where I can play 3Cxx but not 3Cx. If it's making, I'm getting a damn good score either way at any form of scoring. Again, opener can run, but it seems unlikely that he would, since I don't penalize willy-nilly.
We actually have in our system: "if a transfer is DBL and everybody passes responder can RDBL to have contract played in hand opener."
So I should not have this one added

kgr said:

1NT-(P)-2H-(DBL)
RDBL

3. XX to play and yes of course partner can run, since he needn't have values nor hearts for his action so far. Minimum required is a good hand and robust hearts.
For this one we have in fact: "3c support, no desire to play the contract"

kgr said:

1NT-(P)-2C-(DBL)
RDBL

4. same as 3, sub clubs for hearts.
For this one we have business (but 2C is puppet to 2D for us). Here business should probably be a 4c, responder runs if he wants.

edit: In 1, you need to XX to make game, but I should probably consider pass/XX inversion on 3 as well. But at least 2 keeps the "XX by transferrer is a retransfer." You can also play a lot of "pass forces a redouble" stuff to give yourself some room, but I haven't done a lot of thinking along these lines recently.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-March-01, 11:13

View Postkgr, on 2013-March-01, 10:27, said:

Thanks for the reply!
The first one was in fact most important for me.

Wouldn't it be better then to say that he isn't allowed to run? How can he know if running is best? If he runs with a minimum hand and xx in D and decide to run then maybe responder has AJTxx.
...not sure, another agreement can: run if you have only a 2-card (bad luck if responder had really good )?

No, I think it's "If you have a normal 1N opener, I strongly suggest penalizing them."

For this one we have in fact: "3c support, no desire to play the contract"

This is re #3, and I'm not sure that I understand this.

For this one we have business (but 2C is puppet to 2D for us). Here business should probably be a 4c, responder runs if he wants.

No, this one should be 4+ clubs, and they should be robust. This is like AQ10x or something, where we have a pretty good chance of coming to 8+ tricks in clubs opposite xxx. Or KJ10xx or something. If the 2C bidder has a GF and some clubs, lets ring up some overtricks in 2Cxx. And with a balanced invite, this might be our best chance at a game.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 13:46

View Postwyman, on 2013-March-01, 11:13, said:

This is re #3, and I'm not sure that I understand this.

1N-2D-(DBL)
?
Our system: 2 is transfer, but can be with 4c if Inv+.
We play that pass denies support and anything else is support.
2 and RDBL are 3c support; RDBL is nothing to protect (Maybe this will never come up, but that is the agreement we have).
Any other bid is 4c support.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 13:49

View Postkgr, on 2013-February-28, 10:34, said:

is partner allowed to run?

No, one of them does that and regrets it later.

The double is for the lead and I have NEVER been stuck in a failing contract when they didn't run.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users