BBO Discussion Forums: Tactical Choices - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tactical Choices

Poll: Tactical Choices (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Under the given conditions, I would _____ with the given hand.

1. Pass (13 votes [46.43%])

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

2. Open 1C (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Open 1D (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Open 1H (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

5. Open 1S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Open 1NT (0 votes [0.00%])

7. do something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-01, 13:23

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-June-01, 13:18, said:

No, I don't often open light, but I can't see how you can play 2 systems, one for when you open light, one for when you open soundly. If your 1 open can be a low doubleton, by system agreement, it cannot be lead directing.

Are you forcing yourself to open with a light hand AND xx or something? Otherwise your post doesn't make sense.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 14:12

View PostPhil, on 2012-June-01, 13:23, said:

Are you forcing yourself to open with a light hand AND xx or something? Otherwise your post doesn't make sense.

I think maybe we are at cross-purposes. What I am saying is that if your methods are to open balanced hands - that are the wrong strength for 1NT - with 1 even though that may be a low doubleton, then that opening suit will not influence partner's lead.

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-01, 14:23

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-June-01, 14:12, said:

I think maybe we are at cross-purposes. What I am saying is that if your methods are to open balanced hands - that are the wrong strength for 1NT - with 1 even though that may be a low doubleton, then that opening suit will not influence partner's lead.

Honestly, I don't know what you are saying.

But in case I'm not being clear:

- If you choose to open with your normal (which you imply is 'sound') opening with a minimum balanced hand, and that is 1, then go ahead.

- If you choose to open light, I think its a poor idea to open 1 with xx. Either pass or open with a four card major or something. Agree?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-June-01, 19:14

The arguments are persuasive :( Now, IMO: Pass = 10 :)

#25 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-June-03, 00:11

If I'm going to do something other than Pass, it would be 2.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 16:01

View PostPhil, on 2012-June-01, 14:23, said:

- If you choose to open with your normal (which you imply is 'sound') opening with a minimum balanced hand, and that is 1, then go ahead.
- If you choose to open light, I think its a poor idea to open 1 with xx. Either pass or open with a four card major or something. Agree?

Well, actually, no, I don't really agree, though I think I see what you are getting at. Certainly if you are going to psyche in this situation you should be bidding a suit you would be happy for partner to lead. But if you open 1 that will not cause partner to lead from an inappropriate holding because he thinks you have them - he knows it could be a low doubleton. Your holding in clubs is just as uncertain as your holding in any other suit. It is no different whether you are light or not.

As for opening 1 in the given scenario, the advantage over any other suit open is that partner is not going to do anything rash. He will only jump the bidding with a weak hand and a 6 card suit - this depends on your twalsh methods of course - and you have no objection if he does that. Even a 12 count that downgraded and decided to initially pass will still only respond at the 1 level.

#27 User is offline   twoshy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-03, 16:55

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-June-03, 16:01, said:

Well, actually, no, I don't really agree, though I think I see what you are getting at. Certainly if you are going to psyche in this situation you should be bidding a suit you would be happy for partner to lead. But if you open 1 that will not cause partner to lead from an inappropriate holding because he thinks you have them - he knows it could be a low doubleton. Your holding in clubs is just as uncertain as your holding in any other suit. It is no different whether you are light or not.

As for opening 1 in the given scenario, the advantage over any other suit open is that partner is not going to do anything rash. He will only jump the bidding with a weak hand and a 6 card suit - this depends on your twalsh methods of course - and you have no objection if he does that. Even a 12 count that downgraded and decided to initially pass will still only respond at the 1 level.

Opening 1 can definitely be lead directing in a 2+ style, and there are times when partner can infer that our 3rd seat opening was based on directing a lead. Let's say we open 1 on KQTxx and ~8-10 HCP. If the opponents bid game and partner is looking at ~6+ HCP, he should work out we didn't open some terrible balanced 10 count in an anti-lead-directing suit. Sure, sometimes the auction won't allow partner to eliminate the possibility of us having xx in a sound opening hand. However, playing short club and aggressive openings in 1st/2nd, if I want to open with 11-12 (or less) in 3rd I'll usually choose my best suit and try to pass in comfort later. 13-14 or 18-19 is really the only time I'd give more weight to opening a normal, could be short 1 and rebidding normally thereafter. Though even with extras, opening in a four card major in 3rd/4th shouldn't be underrated.

Strange that you consider a light but natural bid a psyche, my guess is that you and Phil have different ideas about what a light opening in 3rd is. Anyway, partner really isn't doing anything rash opposite a 1M opening, though it depends on your system. Seems normal to respond 1NT on a balanced 11, right?

#28 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 11:15

View Posttwoshy, on 2012-June-03, 16:55, said:

Strange that you consider a light but natural bid a psyche ...

No, I was talking generally

Anyway, partner really isn't doing anything rash opposite a 1M opening, though it depends on your system. Seems normal to respond 1NT on a balanced 11, right?

Certainly (or a Drury), if 4th seat passes. But the danger is that when he doubles, partner may raise preemptively on a 4 card suit, and you go for a big number.

#29 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-June-04, 12:12

Based on your description of LHO's demeanor, I'm opening 1 on this hand.

It sounds like you're pretty sure that LHO is opening 1 . So, why let the opponents get into their comfort zone with a rocking chair auction after a strong 1 ?

Partner ought to allow some that I'm opening light in 3rd seat. If it works out badly, it's only one board, and at MPs there is time to recover.

Sometimes table presence/instinct is as important as cold logic in deciding what to do. The hard part though is sometimes discerning between it and wishful thinking.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users