BBO Discussion Forums: Any takers? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any takers?

Poll: Any takers? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in?

1. I double - No one keeps me out of the auction! (except when it comes to opening the bidding) (18 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. I'm a total wuss .. pass (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:26

VM1973, on 2011-September-08, 17:01, said:

{added by FH: JLOGIC SAID}
-Complete max non opener
-No spade honor
-Good defense
-Four hearts
-Not vulnerable

1. Well you have 24 ZPs so all right.
2. Agreed.
3. I disagree. You have 1.5 quick tricks - that's not what I consider "good defense" against a 3-level contract.
4. Agreed.
5. Irrelevant.

Vulnerability is hugely relevant. One thing I've changed a lot in my bidding over the last few years is to take much more account of vulnerability, not just in opening pre-empts and marginal game decisions (the 'traditional' times) but in 1-level openings, overcalls... everywhere.

Being NV here is very important. One of the things that can go wrong with doubling is when partner has a weak-NT type hand (like some of the ones you've been suggesting) and you have no real fit and go 2 or 3 off undoubled - undoubled because you have quite a few high cards and trumps don't fall over, but you are just lacking length tricks and have too many spades. NV that is -100 or -150 which might be basically flat against 140, or cost 5 imps against 3S-1; if you are vulnerable it's now -200 or -300 and the downside is noticeably worse. And if they are going to double, I'd definitely prefer to be NV.

I voted for double, but the thing that makes me most nervous about it is the doubleton spade; that's what I really hate. Partner knows that I nearly always have a singleton and will evaluate accordingly. But then I'd have opened this hand, so it's much rarer for me to have a hand with a doubleton for a protective double... if we are conservative openers, then partner will act accordingly.

p.s. I'd have opened this hand as we are NV. I probably wouldn't have opened vulnerable. Another example.

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:56

FrancesHinden, on 2011-September-09, 15:26, said:

Vulnerability is hugely relevant. One thing I've changed a lot in my bidding over the last few years is to take much more account of vulnerability, not just in opening pre-empts and marginal game decisions (the 'traditional' times) but in 1-level openings, overcalls... everywhere.

Imo
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users