BBO Discussion Forums: Any takers? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any takers?

Poll: Any takers? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in?

1. I double - No one keeps me out of the auction! (except when it comes to opening the bidding) (18 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. I'm a total wuss .. pass (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 12:02

View PostVM1973, on 2011-September-07, 11:29, said:

This has been another controversial, out of nowhere, trolling response made solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of you.

:lol: Well said.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 13:21

Well, VM it is hard to get a "top" at IMPs. Against a good team, I expect the same action to come over to my seat at the other table, and that the player in my seat will double. I don't want to swing it for the odds involved, since passing can't really gain much. I have a partner who won't be leaving a double in when he shouldn't.

Against a weaker team, I expect that the small loss which might occur because the other side didn't double will come back to us on other boards of the match; but would expect somewhere between +1 IMP and +11 IMPs if I double and my counterpart doesn't.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 13:36

View Posthan, on 2011-September-07, 05:06, said:

You are not forcing partner to the 4-level, partner will often pass and may still bid 3NT.

If one did not know pd has these options, we would not be discussing this topic. It would be a pass for all of us. Thats why i said it was close, still this doesnt make it an auto DBL, at least not for me. I just cant see myself strongly disagreeing with my pd if he chooses to pass or DBL, thats all i am saying.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-07, 14:08

View PostVM1973, on 2011-September-07, 11:29, said:

This has been another controversial, out of nowhere, trolling response made solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of you.

Acknowledgement is the 1st step toward recovery. Good luck!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#25 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 14:20

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-07, 14:08, said:

Acknowledgement is the 1st step toward recovery. Good luck!

Be nice, that was a thoughtful, well written post. While I don't agree with his conclusion, it's an honest post that raises reasonable points.

On that note, VM, there's one main reason I don't agree with your conclusion. The double is simply meant to give partner the chance to do something good. I believe that more often than not he'll leave the double in when we'll set it, and he'll bid when we'll make something, and the times when neither is possible is, oh well, then we're hopefully getting a cheap sac against 3S making.

In fact, most of the time I disagree with you seems not to be in your ability to analyze the deal from your hand, but that I think you don't appreciate all the ways to utilize your partner's input in the auction. Just my two cents on the pattern of when we disagree.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#26 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 17:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-07, 13:21, said:

Well, VM it is hard to get a "top" at IMPs. Against a good team, I expect the same action to come over to my seat at the other table, and that the player in my seat will double. I don't want to swing it for the odds involved, since passing can't really gain much. I have a partner who won't be leaving a double in when he shouldn't.

Against a weaker team, I expect that the small loss which might occur because the other side didn't double will come back to us on other boards of the match; but would expect somewhere between +1 IMP and +11 IMPs if I double and my counterpart doesn't.

I realize it's hard to get a top at MPs. That's why I said you're likely to lose a lot of IMPs whereas it might work out well at matchpoints.

#27 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 17:14

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-September-07, 14:20, said:

Be nice, that was a thoughtful, well written post. While I don't agree with his conclusion, it's an honest post that raises reasonable points.

On that note, VM, there's one main reason I don't agree with your conclusion. The double is simply meant to give partner the chance to do something good. I believe that more often than not he'll leave the double in when we'll set it, and he'll bid when we'll make something, and the times when neither is possible is, oh well, then we're hopefully getting a cheap sac against 3S making.

In fact, most of the time I disagree with you seems not to be in your ability to analyze the deal from your hand, but that I think you don't appreciate all the ways to utilize your partner's input in the auction. Just my two cents on the pattern of when we disagree.

Thank you for your generosity in saying that it was a thoughtful well[-]written post.

Assuming that you believe in the Law of Total Tricks (which I realize not everyone does) and that there are 17 trumps on the deal, and also assuming that partner can manage to bid us into an 8-card fit (guessing at the 4-level makes me uncomfortable) we're still figuring that 3S makes 9 tricks (+140) whereas we are in 4 hearts only taking 8 tricks. If we are doubled and down 2, which doesn't seem that unlikely, we are -300 when the opponents weren't making game. Accordingly I believe that it's unlikely that the sac will be profitable (unless we escape undoubled, which I consider unlikely).

As I said, it might make better sense at matchpoints or if you had a stiff spade.

#28 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 19:04

Just curious, why do you manually post that at the end of every post when you could just make it your signature?

#29 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 07:26

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-07, 19:04, said:

Just curious, why do you manually post that at the end of every post when you could just make it your signature?

Because I don't know how to make a signature.

#30 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:16

click on your username in the top right corner, then
my settings->profile->change signature
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#31 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-September-08, 09:20

VM1973, I think you misunderstand JLOGIC's reasons

Overall we have a lot of those things:

-Complete max non opener
-No spade honor
-Good defense
-Four hearts
-Not vulnerable
When you try to paraphrase them as

I really disagree with balancing with this hand just because you've got ♠xx and you're not totally broke.
It would be nice if you could try to take time and look for reasons given in the thread and not just write controversial, out of nowhere, trolling responses made solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of us. :)
      George Carlin

#32 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-08, 14:41

Definitely Dbl: we have decent shape, good defense, and I'm almost embarrassed that I passed. With reversed vulnerability I would be more scared.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#33 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 17:01

View Postgwnn, on 2011-September-08, 09:20, said:

VM1973, I think you misunderstand JLOGIC's reasons
When you try to paraphrase them as
It would be nice if you could try to take time and look for reasons given in the thread and not just write controversial, out of nowhere, trolling responses made solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of us. :)

Fully 80-90 percent of the posts I make are perfectly normal. You all just get bent out of shape because I think outside the box and I don't accept slink away with my tail between my legs everytime someone disagrees with me. The point adding the "controversial, out of nowhere, trolling responses..." point was to draw attention to that very fact. The majority of posts I make are "What is CHO?" or "What's the difference between a progressive squeeze and a three-suited one?"

Hmm... I think something got lost in the quote field. I've lost my train of thought... what were you saying?
Oh yes...
-Complete max non opener
-No spade honor
-Good defense
-Four hearts
-Not vulnerable

1. Well you have 24 ZPs so all right.
2. Agreed.
3. I disagree. You have 1.5 quick tricks - that's not what I consider "good defense" against a 3-level contract.
4. Agreed.
5. Irrelevant.

To date no one has addressed any of the objections I made. Quite simply, there isn't a good reason to think there are enough trumps on this deal to push forward. As such, the double is going to end up being penalty most of the time and it isn't likely to work out well for you unless LHO has made an undisciplined call.

Even if we assign your partner 2.5 quick tricks, adding in your 1.5 you reach 4 defensive tricks and that means the contract is likely to make.

Best case scenario you set it one trick and pick up an extra 100 (+3 IMPs) or you scramble out to 4 of something undoubled down 2 for a 40 point gain (+1 IMP). The more likely scenario is 3 hearts doubled making. I'm not the best scorer in the world, but I think that's -730 (590 difference) for an 11 IMP loss. So since you are, in essence, wagering 11 IMPs hoping to gain only 2, you'd better be sure that what you're hoping to do is more than 80 percent likely to occur (because even at 80% you're losing out).

Additionally the above doesn't take into account the other bad possibilities that might happen because you or your partner (not having perfect information) makes a mistake. What happens if:

1. Your partner, holding 3 spades, figures you for a stiff and bids when he should have passed?
2. The opening lead totally screws the pooch?
3. Your partner doesn't have hearts with you and scrambles out into a 4-3 fit?
4. You're not a world class bridge defender and you or your partner makes a defensive error allowing them to make?

Sorry but, as I said, it's too rich for me.
Furthermore, I don't see why my saying: I would feel very uncomfortable doubling... is a call for everyone to pile on and try to convince VillaMaria to buy his "WWJD" T-shirt.

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-September-08, 17:13

Just for future reference "CHO" is partner. Center-Hand Opponent basically refers to when I make a call which is meant to give the opponents trouble; but, in doing so I have disregarded the problems it might create for my partner who believes my bid.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-September-08, 17:26

VM1973, in my opinion the three best scenarios that will occur reasonably often are

3Sx-2 vs 3S-2 and
3NT= vs 3S-1..3
4H= vs 3S-1..3

You seem to be saying that we are aiming for 3Sx-1 whilst juggling with 3Sx=. I think we will usually set them when partner passes and we will often find a nice 3NT or 4H game when he pulls. In my opinion, you are underestimating the upsides (that we can set them 2 or 3 times doubled and that we can find very nice games) and overestimating the downsides (that maybe we play 4m-1 when 3S would not have made, that maybe partner leaves it in and they make).

Unfortunately there is little scope of demonstrating this logically, which I know you would prefer me/us to do. Objective/logical demonstration would be to organise very long teammatches between people who balance liberally vs people who balance only with a singleton, and to somehow make sure that their abilities otherwise are equal. Presently this is only possible with robots but results based on their paltry abilities are unreliable.

edit: Perhaps we disagree on the frequency on which partner should be pulling our double. You are saying double is going to end up penalty most of the time, I definitely disagree with that assessment. I would be surprised if doublers in this thread would expect double to be left in more than 50% of the time.
      George Carlin

#36 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 20:59

I posted this hand because at the time it seemed kind of out there to double with a flat 11 passed hand .. but it also seemed so right.

I don't have an opener, partner couldn't bid, and RHO couldn't find a raise to game opposite a Red V White 3S bid. I figured either:

1. RHO has a good hand but no spades .. in this case partner will probably leave the double in and we will probably beat it.
2. Partner had a good but balanced hand with no bid. In this case we can likely make something. The bonus is when we can make 4H.

Partner held: xx AQxxx Q10x Axx. 4H made exactly 4 .. turns out LHO was the liar (AJ10xxxx and out). Seemed kind of lucky tho...
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#37 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-09, 14:38

View Postgwnn, on 2011-September-08, 17:26, said:

VM1973, in my opinion the three best scenarios that will occur reasonably often are

3Sx-2 vs 3S-2 and
3NT= vs 3S-1..3
4H= vs 3S-1..3

You seem to be saying that we are aiming for 3Sx-1 whilst juggling with 3Sx=. I think we will usually set them when partner passes and we will often find a nice 3NT or 4H game when he pulls. In my opinion, you are underestimating the upsides (that we can set them 2 or 3 times doubled and that we can find very nice games) and overestimating the downsides (that maybe we play 4m-1 when 3S would not have made, that maybe partner leaves it in and they make).

Unfortunately there is little scope of demonstrating this logically, which I know you would prefer me/us to do. Objective/logical demonstration would be to organise very long teammatches between people who balance liberally vs people who balance only with a singleton, and to somehow make sure that their abilities otherwise are equal. Presently this is only possible with robots but results based on their paltry abilities are unreliable.

edit: Perhaps we disagree on the frequency on which partner should be pulling our double. You are saying double is going to end up penalty most of the time, I definitely disagree with that assessment. I would be surprised if doublers in this thread would expect double to be left in more than 50% of the time.

I'm assuming that the preempter has about 9 HCPs. Something like:
KQJ10xxx
xx
Kx
xx

And unless my math is wrong, your hand adds up to 11 HCPs. Accordingly I can only assume that the remaining 20 HCPs are most likely divided evenly between the other two people. Now, people with 21 HCPs don't usually bid and make 3NT and they don't normally set their opponents 2 tricks when said oppoents have a 9-card fit.

Even if we assign your partner an opening hand, something like:
Ax
AQxx
Qxxx
Jxx

You're not defeating 3 and you're not making 4 so the gain you get is small, as I said - maybe 3 IMPs max. If his hand is stronger than that like:
Ax
AQxx
Qxxx
KJx

then I think it's quite possible that he may take action over 3 in direct seat.

#38 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:09

Why can't partner have 5 hearts? You don't even mention the possibility. As I said, all these discussions boil down to one side drumming on about the wins of their action and the losses of the other action, and in a way it's normal to have it like that because it's difficult to objectively compare them. And it is very easy to come up with example hands where any single bridge action (that is at least remotely reasonable) works, so that isn't that productive either.

edit: As for your specific points, I'd like to point out that 9 hcp is the absolute maximum that most people preempt with (AQTxxxx and a singleton and out suffices for many people) and that the king of diamonds is the most unpleasant outside card he can have, so your example hand is very friendly just to prove your point.

This post has been edited by gwnn: 2011-September-09, 15:14

George Carlin

#39 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:17

View Postjdeegan, on 2011-September-06, 23:51, said:

Sure, I might lose a partscore swing or even a game swing, but I can't lose the match by passing.

I think you need to be careful about that sort of thinking. Maybe it's a consequence of playing online too much, when matches are always very short? Most IMPs matches are at least 24 boards, usually much more (including Swiss events scored by VPs, though not win-loss). Most of the time you should be taking the action with the best expected result, not worrying about losing the match 'on one board', or you just end up being far too conservative. If you are 50 up with 8 to play, that's the time to start being conservative!

#40 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-09, 15:17

While VM doesn't know how to use the 'signature' function, I've never learned how to 'manage blocked users'.

I've never had a need to. Until now.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users