Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Response to Multi what shd you bid?

#1 User is offline   twcho 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-30, 23:30

Holding J9x 98xx x A98xx. Both red. Partner opens 1st seat with 2 which includes weak 2 in either M or strong bal 20-21. RHO passes and what is your choice?
Is 3 the correct bid as this obeys LOTT? And it does have the maximum preemptive power.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-31, 00:07

View Posttwcho, on 2011-August-30, 23:30, said:

Holding J9x 98xx x A98xx. Both red. Partner opens 1st seat with 2 which includes weak 2 in either M or strong bal 20-21. RHO passes and what is your choice?
Is 3 the correct bid as this obeys LOTT? And it does have the maximum preemptive power.

Yes, i think you have the right idea. 3 is my bid. If pd opened strong 2 nt and has 4 or more he can easily bid it. You are not planning to play slam anyway. If he has weak 2 opener, u have the right hand for this preempt. If he has weak suit he can bid 4, Axxxx side suit +4 trumps +stiff. Not only preemptive but it is very hard on our LHO too. Is his DBL showing or take out ? They better made their homework :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-31, 01:15

Sure, 3 is a good bid. If partner opened in 3rd seat I might bid only 2, but that is not so clear.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-31, 01:24

Are you all nuts? I think it's a clear 2. Either partner has a weak two and we don't want to play 3 (imo), or partner has a strong balanced hand in which case we want to investigate our fit.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-31, 01:36

I would be quite happy to play 3 , if pd had a weak2 in that suit , so would bid 3 if our Multi included only a weak major option.
Since this time the Multi also includes a strong NT , I would bid 3 only if I had the agreement that it shows 4s , so that if he does have that hand , finding our 4-4 fit is easy.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 02:20

Of course it shows 4+ . There is virtually no hand that will bid 3 with less than 4 card suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 04:26

View PostFree, on 2011-August-31, 01:24, said:

Are you all nuts? I think it's a clear 2. Either partner has a weak two and we don't want to play 3 (imo), or partner has a strong balanced hand in which case we want to investigate our fit.

Partner has KQxxxx, x, xxx, Kxx you were making 3 but they overcalled 3 over 2 making 4.

3 is the right bid if you play pretty classical weak 2s, 2 if might be a 5 card suit.

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-31, 10:12

View PostFree, on 2011-August-31, 01:24, said:

Are you all nuts?

Brainwashed by Larry Cohen obviously. :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 10:44

I am nuts, too. With a stiff and no quacks in the minors this is not the time to bid less than the LOTT dictates. Wouldn't surprise me if 4 is our par.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users