BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Speedball vs. ACBL Regional Open Pairs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Speedball vs. ACBL Regional Open Pairs Compare the median players

Poll: BBO Speedball vs. ACBL Regional Open Pairs (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Compared to a median player in Regional Open Pairs, a median BBO Speedball player is:

1. Substantially worse (expected score at regional < 46% (15 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Somewhat worse (expected score at regional = 46-49% (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. About the same (expected score at regional = 49-51% (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Somewhat better (expected score at regional = 51-54% (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. Substantially better (expected score at regional > 54% (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

6. Fields too variable to answer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-28, 22:47

Curious as to how people with experience in both standard events think the fields compare.

Assume we are talking about a typical two-session open pairs at an ACBL regional. Am curious how people think the typical/median player there compares to median BBO Speedball player.

Comments on how the tails of the distribution of these fields compare are welcome as well.

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:02

Probably about the same. Regional pair games are quite weak now since the best players are almost always in knockouts rather than pairs. I'm sure you have more players at each tail end of the spectrum in a speedball because they are bigger.

#3 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:28

I would have voted "Worse than substantially worse". In a Regional, the field does not have the bottom end of the spectrum, hardly any of it, because those players are in the KO's earning what gold they can, or playing in restricted events or side games. In BBO Speedball, you will be lucky to meet even one expert pair and the vast majority don't have a clue.

#4 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 01:46

I think a more interesting comparison might be a decent club 299er game to the speedballs. There are likely to be more good players in the speedball than the 299er game, but I'm not sure the median or mean strength is that different.

#5 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 19:22

Regional open pairs include a lot of "strong flight B" type players. These folks are not going to miss game on 26+ points, or bid slam off three cashing aces, or go down in a cold contract. They aren't experts really -- they generally won't find squeezes, have trouble in very competitive auctions, and will often take inferior (but not obviously nullo) lines of play or defense.

However, acbl speedball fields routinely make all the sorts of mistakes described. Bidding and making a cold game on 26 high is always winning multiple imps. It just really isn't close.

Speedball vs club game might be more interesting.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-30, 10:18

I think online tourneys tend to have lots more pick-up partnerships than f2f tourneys. And they will have spent less time discussing their CC than their f2f counterparts, probably a minute or two versus at least 10 minutes. So they're not going to be as competent in complex auctions or when defending.

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-August-30, 11:08

# of Boards is another very significant difference.

High variance low expected return strategies are much more attractive in 12 board games than 27 board games...
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-30, 14:32

Even speedball versus club game IMO the speedball players are far worse.

Justin you must not play in the speedball's at all, I mean the players in them at certain points of the day are so bad its frightening.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#9 User is offline   sallyally 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:golf, bowling, mah jong, reading

Posted 2011-August-30, 19:38

IMO the ACBL speedball has ruined the regular acbl game. Speedball gets lots of players (only an hour) and the regular game is poorly attended. 4 minutes a hand is not much time for thinking about what should be done.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 03:31

wow I think the speedball people are better than at my local club. Maybe club bridge is better in the US than here or maybe my perception is off.

Anyway, a regional tourney here in UK surely has a much higher level than any online bridge except for certain team matches.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 08:03

sallyally, on 2011-August-30, 19:38, said:

IMO the ACBL speedball has ruined the regular acbl game. Speedball gets lots of players (only an hour) and the regular game is poorly attended. 4 minutes a hand is not much time for thinking about what should be done.

Sounds like a clear case of giving the players what they want.

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-August-31, 08:19

There are some good players in the ACBL Speedball games on BBO, which makes them far better than most club games (although I would have to say that a recent club game that I played in - a NAP qualifying game - was much better than most regional pair events).

It is my impression that most club games are populated by players who never play at any game but a club game. These are players who have played at the beginner level for many years and feel at home in the club, but are too afraid to venture out to any sectional or regional tournament.

Admittedly, I rarely play in club games, except for special events such as a NAP qualifying game. I do play in some Speedball games, usually after 8:00pm New York time.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 09:17

I suspect the caliber of players is the same but they don't look like it in speedballs.

Not only is the lack of time a factor but probably 1/2 the field are pick up partnerships with no system discussion to speak of. Add the mis-clicks and it's just a different game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-31, 09:48

The speedball players are still far better than the ones I generally encounter in Free Express Automated Fun tourneys. 75% of them seem to be totally hopeless.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users