BBO Discussion Forums: Smartphone duplicate bridge scoring system. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smartphone duplicate bridge scoring system.

#21 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-19, 15:12

View Postjh51, on 2011-July-19, 15:03, said:

Only when I played in the Red Ribbon Pairs was I not allowed to have a cell phone in the room.

Did they strip-search you?

#22 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-19, 15:34

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-19, 15:12, said:

I hide mine under my laptop.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#23 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-19, 15:42

At most of the regionals I've been at recently, I almost always have my laptop on my knee -- It's like a child, except it doesn't need to be fed, and I can play BBO on it.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-19, 15:51

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-19, 15:11, said:

$2/session is not trivial for someone like a college kid bumming their way to the playing site already throwing $20 at each session and eating out every meal. $6/day is a meal -- not a great one, but a probably a decent one. I still think this regulation is driven more by greed than any expectation of curbing cheating.

NABC+ events are only 2 sessions/day, so it's at most $4/day, not $6. And college kids don't pay $20/session, juniors get a $10/session discount.

And how can it be greed if the money goes to charity? I think it's intended as a nuisance fee, to encourage players to leave the phones elsewhere (hotel room, car, a friend who isn't playing in the event) rather than checking them.

#25 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 15:51

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-July-19, 15:42, said:

At most of the regionals I've been at recently, I almost always have my laptop on my knee -- It's like a child, except it doesn't need to be fed, and I can play BBO on it.

I bet it has xray vision that lets you find opponents' queens.

#26 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-20, 17:47

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-19, 15:51, said:

NABC+ events are only 2 sessions/day, so it's at most $4/day, not $6. And college kids don't pay $20/session, juniors get a $10/session discount.

And how can it be greed if the money goes to charity? I think it's intended as a nuisance fee, to encourage players to leave the phones elsewhere (hotel room, car, a friend who isn't playing in the event) rather than checking them.

Not all college students are under 26.

And not all students are in college for that matter.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#27 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-20, 19:22

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-19, 15:51, said:

Fine, a decent meal every other day. As Elianna points out, not all students are under 26.

Also, forced donations to charity. Nice. Very nice. Can I designate the charity or do I have to agree to whatever cause they choose?

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-20, 19:59

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-20, 19:22, said:

lso, forced donations to charity. Nice. Very nice. Can I designate the charity or do I have to agree to whatever cause they choose?

No more than you can when playing in a charity game.

It's not "forced" -- you don't have to check your cellphone, you can leave it elsewhere. Your room, your car, give it to a friend who isn't playing in an NABC+ event. The only requirement is that you not take it into the playing area. If you want the convenience of being able to get the phone as soon as you walk out of the room, then you have to pay.

#29 User is offline   DannyBres 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 00:42

Thanks for all the comments.

I am fairly new to the game, so I would like to build a small group of experts/advisors to review builds of the application as I go on would be much appreciated. Could you please let me know if you would like to be part of this focus/beta testing group.

The text messaging thing is silly and slow and just no...

All of these things are possible with a computer acting as a server or a smart phone application acting as a server. This can be added as we go.... Anything is possible.

Ideally I would keep al software server-side so that I am not relying on users to update their individual applications. but there is no reason to have a native version and when that is updated, if the user does not have the latest version they can play in their browser instead untill then get internet connectivity to update the native application. Or ever hold the update on the server for Android.... you can't do this for iOS! :(

For starters, I would like to make an application that provides simple scoring for a casual sessions.....

What do I need to include in this?

Create Session (Needed)
Movement Wizard (would be nice)
Join Session (needed)
etc etc.

Can people quote this list and add to it with any features you would like and how important you feel that they are.

Once I have the original functionality, I will build more and more features.....

#30 User is offline   DannyBres 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-21, 00:49

It could even grow to the extent that it could help people when learning...

#31 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 10:18

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-19, 15:12, said:

Given that there are severe penalties, I left my phone in my car. Given the way my partner and I played, no penalty except expulsion from the tournament would have meant much. Instead of being second to last in our section each round, a full board penalty might have made us last in our section.

#32 User is offline   DannyBres 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-25, 14:35

So... should i progress with this?!

Could someone direct me to a list of movements that are used in america and the EBU...

#33 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-26, 03:34

As a first step it might not be a bad idea for you to make contact with someone within the EBU management. Not only can they provide you with the relevant details but this will also be helpful if you go ahead with the scheme and need to promote it. If you find success with it in England then it should be relatively simple to adjust the software for the other Home Nations and America later.
(-: Zel :-)

#34 User is offline   DannyBres 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-26, 16:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-July-26, 03:34, said:

As a first step it might not be a bad idea for you to make contact with someone within the EBU management. Not only can they provide you with the relevant details but this will also be helpful if you go ahead with the scheme and need to promote it. If you find success with it in England then it should be relatively simple to adjust the software for the other Home Nations and America later.

perhaps....

but I am not after that kind of scale initially this is a part time project, that I will be doing around my full time job. If i duplicate the bridge mate functionality, I'm sure it will be ok!!

#35 User is offline   haffread 

• Pip

Posted 2011-August-01, 01:14

View PostDannyBres, on 2011-July-17, 04:12, said:

I am considering developing a duplicate bridge scoring system that can be used on HTML5 browsers (All modern smartphones & tablets, PC & Mac etc.) . So if a group of friend wanted a game of duplicate and they have atleast 1 device with a html5 browser per table and the rest would be done on my server.....

What do you all think?!

Can anyone think of any situations where this would be used? Personally or for other people. Should I progress with the idea?

I wrote a similar system for PalmOS based hand held devices. The plan was to use them, one per table,
as a poor man's BridgeMate. At the end of the evening the data would be beamed (the models we purchased
on Ebay were the low end ones, no wifi, just infra-red) to a laptop and
the evening's sessions scored automatically. Several members refused to use them, so we
stopped using them at the club. However I use mine all the time, rather than using a score sheet
and pen. It knows all the movements of all the local clubs I play at and is very useful for
scoring Chicago sessions when I play social bridge. I recently added team scoring support,
it will work out your team's IMP points, but I've not used this yet, so remains untested.

Several people have expressed interest in the software, but don't have the required hardware,
so I think there would be interest in a Smartphone based application.

The Palm binary and movement files are available as a zip file on our club's
website along with a zip file of the program source code, http://bridgewebs.com/kippington,
scoring software menu.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users