BBO Discussion Forums: Intervention - how add to FD? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Intervention - how add to FD? How do you edit an FD so it can handle intervention?

#1 User is offline   FlyCycle 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-May-13, 03:44

I have built a comprehensive FD, but it can't see how to add bids after intervention, even though I've seen FD's describing responses after overcalls. Does anyone know how to do this, or know someone who does? I'd be very grateful for any help with this.

Normally an FD just cuts out if there is intervention. But, although I did not add it, my FD describes responses after a 1 club opening and intervention. I think this because I used the BBO Precision Club FD as a starting point (my system has a strong club too). Sadly the description does not match what I play, so it's worse than no description at all! I have tried to find how to edit the FD entries for intervention, but no luck. That's despite pressing every button and trying every menu option that looked remotely connected.

It's taken about 4 man months to produce my FD*, so I'm keen to get the intervention right. My system opens almost all hands with 10+ points, so it's more important than usual. Thanks for any help.

*(Amazing how long it takes just to cover the first two rounds up to game, even if each bids takes only a few seconds to set up!)

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-May-13, 04:21

Sounds like you build your FD CC by using the menus and the interface available in the Bidedit program.

Try this: locate your CC on your computer, right-click and select "Open with Notepad". It will open in a text document and you can search the descriptions that do not fit your system, then replace them with your own stuff.

You should make a backup copy before trying this.

#3 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-13, 08:07

If the intervention is "DBL".
then copy and paste method in FD will work for all the bids.
If the intervention is other than dbl, "a bid".
then, copy and paste method in FD will work for all the bids. But, usually requires text and field editing because the meanings will be different. You can also use delete for the particular bidding to delete the follow up sequence biddings. This is the fastest way.
Note: paste will also paste all the follow up 2nd 3rd 4th 5th... round bids.

#4 User is offline   Lelos80te 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-15, 07:10

Easy image editing ----->
Settings
if you see V Constructive, you must disable this option and next Editor

#5 User is offline   FlyCycle 

• Pip

Posted 2011-May-16, 02:24

Lelos80te, on 2011-May-15, 07:10, said:

Easy image editing ----->
Settings
if you see V Constructive, you must disable this option and next Editor

Thanks. Yes that does it:
- Open the FD with BidEdit
- Click on 'Settings' in the menu
- Untick 'Constructive'

Then when click on '1 Club' say, instead of listing responses, it lists overcalls. I've filled in what the interventions mean (chosing X = majors, NT = minors, rest = natural & agressive, as used by Meckwell and others). Then I've clicked on each of those intervention and filled in our chosen responses - simple cut and paste from my write up. Big problem of course is that if opps. use different interventions the responses will be wrong. To deal with different intervention would require input to the FD as it was running in a live game, to branch to a different set of (previously setup!) responses, and I'd be amazed it that was possible! But the principles, taking the approach as a whole, are there.

#6 User is offline   FlyCycle 

• Pip

Posted 2011-May-16, 02:35

diana_eva, on 2011-May-13, 04:21, said:

Sounds like you build your FD CC by using the menus and the interface available in the Bidedit program.

Try this: locate your CC on your computer, right-click and select "Open with Notepad". It will open in a text document and you can search the descriptions that do not fit your system, then replace them with your own stuff.

You should make a backup copy before trying this.

Thanks. I was able to view the raw code behind the FD, and - after a while - worked out it's general structure (having programmed for a living many years ago). I have Windows 7, and with that it looked like I had to open Notepad first, and then open the FD from notepad (File - Open). When I right-clicked on the CC (FD), it did not come up at first with 'Notepad' as an option. Now, having opened the FD via Notepad, Notepad does appear as an option after right-click.

For me it still looks daunting and possibly error prone to edit the code directly. So I plan to use BidEdit for adding action after intervention (see my previous reply to another post), as I have for the constructive bidding.

I must say I was really impressed with speed and helpfulness of replies to my initial post - thanks to all. (I've viewed posts before, but this is the first time I've asked a question.)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users