BBO Discussion Forums: Defensive Bidding Over Diamond Preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Bidding Over Diamond Preempt Best Auction?

#1 User is offline   lisengerg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-March-22, 12:26

Bidding at the other table was 3D - (P) - (P) - 3H - (P) - 4H - (P) - P - P

In a Swiss match, both tables got to 4H by different auctions. The initial doublers had the agreement that this auction strongly implies Hearts and Clubs. They would cue bid, then pull with a big 1 suiter. Who risked getting too high? Who risked not getting to game? The better players on my team were thinking about this differently that I was, so I am going to hide my identity. Their explanation did not quite satisfy me, so I'm trying to better understand this situation.

Thanks All,

Laurie

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-22, 13:23

I wouldn't double because there is too much risk of partner bidding 4. I think 3 is ok but if you feel the hand is too good for that then the alternative is probably 3NT, not double.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-March-23, 07:02

I really don't like Dbl on this hand. 3 seems pretty obvious, with 3NT as only alternative imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-23, 07:14

E's 4 bid at the other table was a little aggressive but then again, at this table as East I would probably have stretched to 4. And 3 is a better spot than 4.

Oh well I am resulting. It doesn't change the fact that double is a very bad call, though. I think I would bid 3NT. Close second is 3. No third choice.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-March-23, 07:38

3 seems clear to me. Partner comes through with some good cards that fit well and still you have some work to do to bring in ten tricks.

Doubling and then bidding 4? I agree that doubling and then pulling 3 to 4 suggests hearts and clubs since if I were sure I wanted to play in 4 I would have just bid 4 first time around. (I am not sure what was meant about a cue bid and a pull, sounds like a way to get too high to me.) But I don't think I have the values for the four level on my own and, anyway, I would (very much) prefer to have a second spade. That would be helpful, for example, if partner responds to the double by bidding 4. Partner is not just a puppet, so he might.
Ken

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-23, 12:40

double is terrible. obvious risk of 4s response and i would feel only marginally better hearing a 3S response which i'll have to correct anyway

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-23, 12:57

I'd overcall 3NT as West. Partner won't always have three-card support and a singleton.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users