Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to bid/ ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-17, 19:03

I sitting south doubled for penalty and they rolled the contract.

I am telling my partner that if you are not going to reverse with this hand you should open 1

We can make 5 on a lead otherwise we make 4

If North rebids 3 and again 4 we are in our best spot

I could have and maybe should have raised 3 to 4

East held QJ10xxx, x, void, Q10xxxx

OPINIONS PLEASE

#2 User is offline   georgeac 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 03:01

North 1000% I don't know how this isn't a 1 opener.

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-18, 06:37

Lets remove the focus from N for a moment. You doubled 4C because of your what? AK S which might take 1 trick, because of the A D which may not live, or was it your trump stack? Your partner bid all alone up to the 3 level and you have A 4th of trumps plus a side AK I would be concerned about a possible slam my way!

#4 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 11:39

You misbid in both rounds. With SAKxx, 12 HCP and 4 diamonds, you really should bid something against 2S. If you worry that partner can be quite light, you should at least bid 2NT to invite and I don't mind a 3NT bid at all, because that is what you are going to bid if your opp bids 3S. On the second round, when your partner showed you a decent hand with at least 6 diamonds, you really should bid your game or potential slam if partner's hand is slightly stronger. So it is completely your fault.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-18, 22:20

North has pointitis.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   Cromlyn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Playing Bridge, Reading about Bridge, Reading about History, Walking and Dancing

Posted 2011-February-19, 04:44

Both you and your partner are giving each other the wrong information. Your partner opens 1 and this implies that no five card major is held. When the opponent makes a jump bid you have nowhere to go, you do not know that partner has a major but you can show partner values by bidding a double (not for penalites as you have not had a chance to find a fit).

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-19, 06:56

some points

-Double of 4 shows a penalty double of 2, partner should remove it. This might not be enterilly clear on paper, but looking at his own hand with singleton spade he should had realised.

-Passing 2 when you don't plan on playing 2 doubled is wrong, if you don't have any transfer tool avaible 3NT will do the trick, even 3 or double are better than pass.

-Opening 1 is better with red 2 suiter in general

#8 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-19, 06:58

View PostCromlyn, on 2011-February-19, 04:44, said:

Both you and your partner are giving each other the wrong information. Your partner opens 1 and this implies that no five card major is held. When the opponent makes a jump bid you have nowhere to go, you do not know that partner has a major but you can show partner values by bidding a double (not for penalites as you have not had a chance to find a fit).

A double here by me would be negative showing 4 card suit etc.

I agree that I could/should have bid or NT somewhere along the line.
I chose to wait for a reopening double so that I could leave it in for penalty.

#9 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-19, 07:18

Nothing wrong with the 1 opening, 1 does not deny a 5 card major, and if you always open your longest suit you won't go very wrong.

Passing 2 planning to defend 2X was really really bad. I can't stress enough just how bad that was. You have AK85 of spades, i.e. just 2 spade tricks, instead of something like KQT9. You have 4 card support for partner, so not only can you probably make a contract, but also very few of your side's high cards in the suit are standing up. Now you need partner to take 3 tricks against 2X to get +100 instead of -470 or more.

When partner then bid 3 you had another chance, but with Axxx of a suit partner opened and rebid on his own at the 3 level, you still couldn't support?

Your partner must have superhuman tolerance, not only did you pass 2 planning to defend it doubled, not only did you double 4 for no apparent reason while still suppressing your primary support, but then you told your partner he misbid by not opening 1. If he had thrown the bidding box at you the directors would have ruled it justifiable!
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#10 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-19, 07:39

deleted
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-February-19, 11:41

This is a joint effort.
I'm happy opening 1D on the North hand, but having done that North has to bid 3H over 2S to show his hand.
South must raise diamonds. Personally I'd raise over 2S.

#12 User is offline   Cromlyn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Playing Bridge, Reading about Bridge, Reading about History, Walking and Dancing

Posted 2011-February-19, 12:44

If your partnership agreement is to show at least four cards in an unbid major could opener not bid Double over the 2 intervention?

I am still unhappy with opener bidding a minor suit before a five card major suit, especially with only minimum high card points. If the action had been uncontested I would have thought a heart rebid would show a very powerful hand with 17+ hcp?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users