BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#2381 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-23, 09:51

JLOGIC, on 2012-August-23, 08:47, said:

Hamman-Lall world champs obv.

One of the few times I cheered for your opponents, great people despite (mostly) the unfortunate circumstance of being from Toronto. Still my close 2nd best result.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2382 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 15:18

ggwhiz, on 2012-August-23, 09:51, said:

One of the few times I cheered for your opponents, great people despite (mostly) the unfortunate circumstance of being from Toronto. Still my close 2nd best result.

I mean obv I wanted my dad to win but if they were second and the canadians won, I wouldn't have minded, just because I am really close friends with Darren Wolpert and consider him one of the nicest guys in bridge, and I also really like Korbel. Not just that, but I knew how much the win would mean for gavin and darrens mom.

So I guess I was the same as you except in reverse.

Anyways, no bridge content here obv, just thought it was funny to watch Hamman-Lall on vugraph, made me laugh.

#2383 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-August-23, 16:11

JLOGIC, on 2012-August-23, 15:18, said:

I mean obv I wanted my dad to win but if they were second and the canadians won, I wouldn't have minded, just because I am really close friends with Darren Wolpert and consider him one of the nicest guys in bridge, and I also really like Korbel. Not just that, but I knew how much the win would mean for gavin and darrens mom.

So I guess I was the same as you except in reverse.

Anyways, no bridge content here obv, just thought it was funny to watch Hamman-Lall on vugraph, made me laugh.

The match was close and fun to watch. The Hamman-Lall pairing definitely made me chuckle...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2384 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-23, 17:25

How to make a Bacon Manhattan

http://www.youtube.c...ure=c-shelf-119
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#2385 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 13:01

I don't usually follow pop culture too closely (I'm proud to say I've never watched any of the Kardashian shows,) but this line cracked me up:

Heidi, I would have preferred you not "fornicate with the help" linky
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2386 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-September-17, 18:34

Better Eating, Thanks to Bacteria

Posted Image
IN THE LAB Dan Felder and Veronica Trevizo of Momofuku, with Sandor Katz, in the back of Momofuku Ko.
Photo by Ángel Franco/The New York Times
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2387 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-September-18, 18:51

Since when have bacteria worn mustaches?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#2388 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-20, 12:03

tja tomorrow is another iDay, iReligion rules, iTalibans occupy streets at iShops. Is this iCentury or only a bad iJoke`?:rolleyes:

#2389 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-20, 12:31

I just read this thinking what's all this chatter in the Moderation thread. Then i realized this was the other hijacked thread.

#2390 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-22, 04:42

O'zapft is!

Posted Image

#2391 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-September-22, 05:10

Just give me all the MPs and nobody will get hurt...
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2392 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-September-22, 20:31

For Gastronomists, a Go-To Microbiologist

Posted Image
Rachel Dutton, a Harvard microbiologist. Photo: Erik Jacobs for The New York Times

JIM LAHEY, the founder of Sullivan Street Bakery in New York, wanted to find out which organisms inhabited his sourdough and produced its tantalizing sulfuric aroma.

Meanwhile, in the East Village test kitchen of the Momofuku restaurants, David Chang and Dan Felder were fermenting pork tenderloins, pistachio misos and fish sauces, and trying to understand what microbes made the process work. And in San Francisco, Harold McGee, author of the food-science book “On Food and Cooking,” began to wonder what bacterial species made his particularly long-lived yogurt culture so hardy. They all turned to the same expert: Rachel Dutton, an ebullient young Harvard microbiologist who, almost by accident, has become the go-to source for chefs and food artisans seeking to unravel the mysteries of microorganisms.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2393 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-September-26, 17:29

Hong Kong property and shipping magnate Cecil Chao Sze-tsung announced he would offer HK$500 million (about $65 million) to the man who can woo and marry his 33-year-old daughter, Gigi Chao, the South China Morning Post reported

http://www.ksee24.co...-171418441.html

#2394 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-26, 18:40

mike777, on 2012-September-26, 17:29, said:

Hong Kong property and shipping magnate Cecil Chao Sze-tsung announced he would offer HK$500 million (about $65 million) to the man who can woo and marry his 33-year-old daughter, Gigi Chao, the South China Morning Post reported

http://www.ksee24.co...-171418441.html

Emphasis on the man part. Apparently she is married to another woman.

#2395 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-September-26, 21:49

A little factoid people may not know: Which of the major economies in the advanced world grew fastest in the first quarter of 2012?

Spoiler

#2396 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-September-26, 21:52

y66, on 2012-September-26, 21:49, said:

A little factoid people may not know: Which of the major economies in the advanced world grew fastest in the first quarter of 2012?

Spoiler

But we are doing that....massive spending...I mean over a trillion bucks deficit this year alone....16 trillion and counting....

I mean we are not running balanced budgets for pete sake.

#2397 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-02, 10:03

Posted Image
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2398 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-02, 11:53

He He, how not to do things.

I knew a bridge player that was running late for his club game after playing a pickup game of softball.

He ran to the car with his car keys in one hand and softball glove in the other, opened the trunk threw it in and slamed it shut. Then he looked at his right hand that had the softball glove in it. :blink:
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2399 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-October-19, 18:32

Who is this guy? What is he drinking?

Posted Image
Photo: Kirsten Luce for The New York Times

Spoiler

“It’s not without complexity,” Mr. Oliver said, “and it’s an interesting, broad sort of bitterness, a British type of bitterness, which fits the sort of hops they used.”

The brewers chose classic British hops, Kent Goldings and Fuggles, which yield a gentle, more generalized sort of bitterness than the sharper grapefruit and pine of American hops familiar in American craft beers. They had taken another British-style step, adding mineral salts to the water, a process intended to mimic the famous waters of Burton-on-Trent, a British town renowned for its brewing heritage. Burtonizing is a long American tradition as well. Mr. Oliver has found advertisements in century-old brewing magazines for the American Burtonizing Company in New York.

As the beer was exposed to air in the glass, it seemed to become brighter and juicier. Professional brewers have many sophisticated techniques for shaping complexity, but home brewers have it all over them when it comes to freshness. Drinking a proper home-brewed beer that is alive and leaps from the glass is enough to bear out President Obama’s assessment.

For me, the biggest surprise was how powerfully the honey influenced the beer in almost every aspect — texture, aroma, flavor — except sweetness. It was a reminder of how extraordinary honey can be both as an ingredient and as a reflection of its particular origins.

Mr. Oliver said a request to the White House for a jar of its own honey went unanswered, so he used local wildflower honey, thinking that White House bees would have little motivation to rove beyond the flowers on the grounds.

In analyzing the beer as it was brewed, Mr. Oliver was surprised by how much sugar went unfermented and feared it might be a tad sweet. He pondered whether, on a second try, he would take steps to make the beer drier.

“Now that I’ve tasted it, I don’t think I would,” he said. “It’s perfectly balanced.”

The beer is still young. With time, the yeast particles should settle, clarifying the brew, and Mr. Oliver suggested it might carbonate a little more. Six months from now, it might develop some nutty, sherry-like characteristics as the beer begins to oxidize. Aside from curiosity, I’d prefer to drink it fresh.

#2400 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-October-20, 20:10

From recent interview with T. C. Boyle

You’ve killed lots of people within your fiction. Do you ever imagine how your own death will go down?

Are you kidding me? Since the moment of consciousness hit, I’ve been death-obsessed. Who isn’t?

Well, sure, but what does it look like?

We’re in our latter phases of life, so we are holding on now for the great promise of the last two years of our lives having lost our minds, having angry immigrants change our diapers for us.

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users