BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#19621 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-04, 16:27

White House diaryist said:

President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.

The longer (and accurate version of this) post:

White House diaryist said:

Manchurian President Trump will watch Fox Propaganda Channel TV while tweeting from his unsecured cell phone from the time he wakes up until early afternoon, after he's had his 3 Big Mac lunch. Then he will do "official" White House stuff for a couple of hours before returning to the White House residence at 5PM. Then he will call his friends like Hannity and Carlson and discuss more official White House business while doing some more tweeting about important stuff.

#19622 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-05, 07:03

Matt Yglesias said:

They found the voter fraud

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former Trump administration official now running for Congress in New Hampshire voted twice during the 2016 primary election season, potentially violating federal voting law and leaving him at odds with the Republican Party’s intense focus on “election integrity.”

Matt Mowers, a leading Republican primary candidate looking to unseat Democratic Rep. Chris Pappas, cast an absentee ballot in New Hampshire’s 2016 presidential primary, voting records show. At the time, Mowers served as the director of former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s presidential campaign in the pivotal early voting state.

Four months later, after Christie’s bid fizzled, Mowers cast another ballot in New Jersey’s Republican presidential primary, using his parents’ address to re-register in his home state, documents The Associated Press obtained through a public records request show.

Legal experts say Mowers’ actions could violate a federal law that prohibits “voting more than once” in “any general, special, or primary election.” That includes casting a ballot in separate jurisdictions “for an election to the same candidacy or office.” It also puts Mowers, who was a senior adviser in Donald Trump’s administration and later held a State Department post, in an awkward spot at a time when much of his party has embraced the former president’s lies about a stolen 2020 election and has pushed for restrictive new election laws.

https://apnews.com/a...ab85bfca96fbc8c

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#19623 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-05, 08:33

This post about Matt Mowers is stunning. I have always thought that while it was probably possible for someone to do such a thing, only a moron would actually do it. I have not changed my mind about that.
Ken

#19624 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-05, 12:46

Heather Cox Richardson said:

Before Biden nominated Jackson, when a Yahoo News/YouGov poll asked people to assess Jackson’s qualifications, 57% of Republicans said she was qualified. Only 19% of Republicans (and 11% of all Americans) said she was not qualified. While the hearings made her lose some support across the board, it still left her popular with Democrats and Independents. Republican opinions, though, have changed dramatically. Now just 31% say she’s qualified, and 47% say she’s unqualified.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#19625 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-06, 08:14

From What I Learned When Trump Tried to Correct the Record by Julian E. Zelizer at The ATlantic:

Our entire meeting suggested that Trump sometimes does care about expertise, despite his vitriol toward the academy. After all, he was the one who had decided to reach out to a group of professional historians so that we produced “an accurate book.” As he has done many times before, Trump proudly mentioned his uncle who was a professor at MIT. While talking to us, Trump was working to influence the narratives that were told about him—as he’d done repeatedly during his time in the Oval Office. Indeed, he had even closed out his term peddling the case that he was not a failed one-term president, like Herbert Hoover or Jimmy Carter, but someone who had victory stolen from him.

When the Yale historian Beverly Gage brought up the president’s relationship with the FBI and the intelligence community—the subject of her chapter in our book—he eventually turned to the Capitol riot of January 6, 2021. According to his memory, the expert opinion was off. The “real story,” Trump argued, “has yet to be written.” When Congress met to certify the Electoral College results, Trump told us, there had been a “peaceful rally,” more than a “million people” who were full of “tremendous love” and believed the election was “rigged” and “robbed” and “stolen.” He made a “very modest” and “very peaceful” speech, a “presidential speech.” The throng at the Capitol was a “massive” and “tremendous” group of people. The day was marred by a small group of left-wing antifa and Black Lives Matter activists who “infiltrated” them and who were not stopped, because of poor decisions by the U.S. Capitol Police when some “bad things happened.”

President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings. Bad things will happen.

#19626 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-April-06, 09:02

View Posty66, on 2022-April-06, 08:14, said:

From What I Learned When Trump Tried to Correct the Record by Julian E. Zelizer at The ATlantic:

President Trump will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings. Bad things will happen.

Trump never worked till late in the evening, you think he'll start now ?

#19627 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-06, 14:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-April-06, 09:02, said:

Depends if there's something on tv or if he gets reinstated on Twitter.

#19628 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-06, 16:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-April-06, 09:02, said:

What are you talking about??? Watching the Fox Propaganda Channel and reading and posting on social media is hard work. I demand a retraction!!!

#19629 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-April-07, 09:11

View Postjohnu, on 2022-April-06, 16:20, said:

What are you talking about??? Watching the Fox Propaganda Channel and reading and posting on social media is hard work. I demand a retraction!!!

Well there have been a number of politicians that have claimed to be "on the job" while in bed, don't think Trump is one of them, he was notorious for heading to bed in the early evening

#19630 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-07, 14:38

Very happy to see someone who represents humans getting appointed to the Supreme Court today.

#19631 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-07, 17:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-April-07, 09:11, said:

Well there have been a number of politicians that have claimed to be "on the job" while in bed, don't think Trump is one of them, he was notorious for heading to bed in the early evening

Seriously watching TV, even if in bed, is hard work. Manchurian President Trump would watch the prime time (e.g. 8-11PM) Fox Propaganda Channel programs which included his favorite presidential advisors like Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham, and others. How else did you think he came up with most of his policies, positions, and talking points???

#19632 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-07, 17:52

View Postjohnu, on 2022-April-07, 17:27, said:

How else did you think he came up with most of his policies, positions, and talking points???

Are you able to reproduce a single coherent paragraph that Trump said (even a single sentence would be a start) that was not read from a teleprompter (presumably written by a stooge - I think there were more than 3)?

In all the interviews I saw where he had to speak without assistance (my favourite is the dark shadows interview with Laura Ingraham) it all sounded like word salad.

'People that you've never heard of," he said. "People that are in the dark shadows. People that –"

Ingraham interjected: "What does that mean? That sounds like conspiracy theory. Dark shadows, what is that?"

"No," said Trump. "People that you haven't heard of. They're people that are on the streets. They're people that are controlling the streets."

2 Shapes on a plane
The president wasn't finished.

"We had somebody get on a plane from a certain city this weekend," he said, "and in the plane it was almost completely loaded with thugs wearing these dark uniforms, black uniforms with gear and this and that. They're on a plane."

Ingraham asked: "Where was this?"

"I'll tell you some time," Trump said, "but it's under investigation right now, but they came from a certain city, and this person was coming to the Republican national convention, and there were like seven people on the plane like this person, and then a lot of people were on the plane to do big damage. They were coming for –"
etc etc.

Fine policy-making indeed.

#19633 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-07, 18:54

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-April-07, 17:52, said:

Are you able to reproduce a single coherent paragraph that Trump said (even a single sentence would be a start) that was not read from a teleprompter (presumably written by a stooge - I think there were more than 3)?

Who do you think was writing his speeches? It was a rapidly spinning door between the White House and Fox Propaganda Channel. People who appeared on Fox were given top priority for positions in the White House, and people who worked in the White House would work there for a few months or a year and then get a high paying gig at Fox. People would "audition" on Fox to get White House appointments.

#19634 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-April-08, 07:19

View Posty66, on 2022-April-07, 14:38, said:

Very happy to see someone who represents humans getting appointed to the Supreme Court today.

I'm more reserved. I am pleased that the president and congress could successfully nominate and confirm someone. It was a pretty close call, a Dem president needs Dem Senate and a Dem House to get anyone confirmed. Well, yes, there were 3 R votes after the confirmation was assured of passing. Still, a close call.
I wish her well, I'm glad it's over, that is about the extent of my enthusiasm.
This country is in trouble.

Ken

#19635 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-08, 07:57

Jimmy Kimmel said:

On our show Tuesday night, M.T.G. — ‘Klan Mom’ as we call her — earlier in the day called three of her fellow Republicans ‘pro-pedophile’ for supporting Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s nomination to the Supreme Court — which is lovely. A lovely thing to say. So I made a joke. I said, ‘Where is Will Smith when you need him?’

This woman, remember, she is the one who endorsed fringe conspiracy theories and repeatedly indicated support for executing prominent Democratic politicians. Now she’s dialing 911 because she got made fun of. She’s a snowflake and a sociopath at the same time — a ‘snowciopath.’

And nobody does anything. I feel like maybe other Republicans like having her around to make the rest of them seem normal.

#19636 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-April-08, 10:10

Will Smith? Something about some tv thing called Emmy or some such?
As I understand the story so far:
Some so-called comedian thought it would be really hilarious to ridicule a woman's looks caused by her disease.
Her husband took issue with this, charged the stage and slapped him.
The folks running the show first thought it was a prepared routine.
When they finally figured it was not a planned part of the show, then instead of telling both guys to get the hell off the stage and take their fight out to the parking lot they did a several day study. And decided something or other.

Now Jimmy something-or-other wants to get in on the act?

There once was a time when comedians told jokes. Sometimes the jokes were actually funny. No more.
Ken

#19637 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-08, 12:31

Can even Klan mom make Josh Hawley seem normal?

https://twitter.com/...257079620296709

#19638 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-08, 15:22

View Postkenberg, on 2022-April-08, 10:10, said:

Will Smith? Something about some tv thing called Emmy or some such?
As I understand the story so far:
Some so-called comedian thought it would be really hilarious to ridicule a woman's looks caused by her disease.
Her husband took issue with this, charged the stage and slapped him.
The folks running the show first thought it was a prepared routine.
When they finally figured it was not a planned part of the show, then instead of telling both guys to get the hell off the stage and take their fight out to the parking lot they did a several day study. And decided something or other.

Now Jimmy something-or-other wants to get in on the act?

There once was a time when comedians told jokes. Sometimes the jokes were actually funny. No more.

I'm with you here - television is a neurotoxin.
I don't know what a safe dose is but I bet it's smaller than an award ceremony where they pat each other on the back/face/arse.

#19639 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-08, 17:44

View Postkenberg, on 2022-April-08, 07:19, said:

This country is in trouble.

An astute observation of the blatantly obvious.

#19640 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2022-April-08, 18:09

Re: the Oscars - in defence of Will Smith, this wasn't the first time. And it wasn't the first time he had said "go after me all you want. My wife is off-limits." The joker decided that either his fame, or his notoriety, or the stage he was on, protected him from any serious retaliation from the (not very funny) joke at her expense.

He was wrong. It cost Will Smith a *lot* in reputation and potentially in money to prove him wrong, but one expects it was worth it. I bet it's the last of those jokes that will be told in Mr. and Mrs. Smith's presence... But I bet if it wasn't someone with Will Smith's level of reputation and ability to just blow off working for the rest of his life if it came to that, he would have been right, protected, and unslapped.

There's someone here who has a high opinion of Heinlein, in particular the "an armed society is a polite society" bit. For those who agree with him and with Heinlein, *this is what it means*. It doesn't mean that everyone will be polite because there's guns - back in the day, there had to be laws against duelling because it reduced the government's power to keep a trained officer corps. It means that those that have enough power in society can *hurt you*, even *kill you*, if you're not "polite" enough. The flip side of that is, of course, that if you don't have that power, the people that do get to do whatever they want, and you "have to be polite". Your armed status doesn't matter. Barring "Billy the Kid" levels of skill and gall, just being armed doesn't give you that power (and even in Mr. the Kid's(*) case, it lasted how long?), you need society to back you.

Funny how that seems to apply even here, even now, even with "you need a gun to protect your rights". Why (I hear someone ask) did St. Ronnie impose one of the strictest gun control regimes in California? Why are the anti-police violence protesters denied arms (even shields and helmets) if they want to be deemed "peaceful" and not "rioters"? It sure ain't because the police are gonna be polite if they show up armed...

(*) Argh, missed the obFootnote: "Be excellent to each other."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

90 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 90 guests, 0 anonymous users