BBO Discussion Forums: Continuations after opener's jump shift - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuations after opener's jump shift

#1 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-October-20, 19:05

I feel like I've seen this discussion before, but...

In a strong club system, it's common to play 1M-1N-jumpshift (or 1H-1S-jumpshift) as a max (usually 14-15 hcp if 1 starts at 16 for unbalanced hands) with 5 losers, nonforcing.

What are the right continuations for responder here? Should all bids be forcing? Is there a need for the next step to be artificial?

I'm sure this has been thought about a lot before.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-21, 00:56

In standard with Gazzilli you can have similar auctions. I've always just played that everything is natural and GF except for 3M (be careful on 1-1; 3m, as responder might still be strong with support and good spades and now has trouble exploring slam), with the fourth suit (if available) being a punt. If responder doesn't have a fit for opener we are likely heading to 3NT so new bids should help explore that. In my opinion it does not pay to try to correct the partscore at the 3-level when partner has shown a 5-5 and a 2-point range.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-October-23, 00:31

I don’t play forcing club, but we use 1H 1N 2S as artificial: either a natural reverse, often 5=6 since we can’t have a 4=4 fit, or a gf jumpshift into a minor

This lets us use 1H 1N 3m as 5=5 or better, good hand but less than gf, so pretty much what the big club bets do, except our range is slightly higher.

We play 3S by responder over 3m as artificial gf. Opener is asked to bid 3N unless he has very unusual shape. Responder clarifies his hand at his next call over the usual 3N. So 1H 1N 3D 3S 3N 4D is a slam try in diamonds. Since we open 1H on 10 hcp if 5=5, and some 6 card heart suits, and almost never pass as opener with 11, our 1N can be a very bad 13 with no heart fit, so slam is still possible. I think that’s true in most forcing club methods…Meckwell lite, probably the most popular version amongst NA experts, is often played as 1M showing 8-15, over which forcing to game with all 13 counts makes little sense

Also, we do include 3 card limit raises in 1N, which might grow up into a slam try if the hand meshes well opposite a 5=5 15-17 hcp.

We’re still working out all the permutations, but the idea is to allow 1H 1N 3D 4C/D to be natural and invitational.

After 1H 1N 3C, the options are different because we have 3D available, but we still use 3S…..that lets 4C over 3C to be nf.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users