• You cannot reply to this topic

Too timid?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-24, 02:09

haha, not something I'm usually accused of.

Over 1NT, EW play 2c=majors, 2d=single suit, 2h2s/ M+m

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-March-24, 02:50

Looks ok to me, albeit I am accused of being timid from time to time often by myself.

East might just consider a protective double but you don't know NS have a fit so have no certainty that EW have a fit. Also there is no reason to assume EW have the majority of the points. I would pass with little consideration of anything else.

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-March-24, 03:14

Normal
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-24, 08:45

Those as double "equal strength" win here, because they catch their partner with 10 of the 13 outstanding.

Those as double "equal strength" are facing a guess against 500/800 vs 600 (or 1160, you know, that's an option) if the hands are reversed. It's a lucky 500 here.

If you don't double with west's hand (and I don't), I think you have to sit. Sometimes the weak NT wins. I can see a takeout double in balance, but then again, North will pass 2 with a decent 10, so...

Matchpoints is fun, isn't it?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-March-24, 09:10

Trying to ‘win’ every board is the best way to assure losing more than you were dealt. Here, EW was dealt a sub par result by virtue of the weak 1N. As someone who has played many sessions of weak notrump, including against WC opponents, I can tell you that we’ve had a lot of great results (and some poor ones as well) when the opps try to win the board by coming into our auctions. I love hearing opps, seeing that we play 11-13, say…double shows the same. I immediately know they have no clue, and my expectation of a good result goes up.

When both sides have balanced hands and the hcp are roughly even, the first pair to bid 1N usually, not always, wins. If they are nv, they win even more frequently (if vulnerable, -100 loses at mps, but not imps, to -90, but declarer often has an advantage when playing).

Thus when the opps open a weak 1N you need a good hand to compete. Occasionally your combined assets are enough but neither player should bid. C’est la vie
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-24, 13:04

👍🏼I need to listen to myself more often
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users