• You cannot reply to this topic

You need an agreement here

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-21, 12:14

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 12:40

A bit weak for 4NT, partner and RHO have a bunch of hearts.

You might survive a 4C bid, hoping it is the right one you picked. But some play 4m ad m+H.

I think 3NT is more useful as natural here than showing a not too strong minor 2-suiter.

And it is unlikely, although not completely hopeless, that partner can contribute sth useful in S to help our half stopper.

And we’re red. Was it MP or IMPs?

I think I have to pass - after all, it is not a full worth 15 HCP hand and we’re scr*** in the auction. But not too confident it is the winning call.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 13:21

If I'm bidding (and I'm not) I'm bidding 4D, not 4C, because if we're bidding at all we're bidding 5m over 4, right? Can't correct to , and the suit quality difference while there isn't vast. If the suits were Qxxxx AKQJx this would be a different conversation.

Really at these colors though, just...no. We could easily beat 3S 2 or 3 tricks while not being able to make squat. On a good day, partner leads their stiff club
or doubleton club and we're taking like 8 tricks off the top with a few ruffs.

If I was going to take a stab at anything (and again, I'm not), well, it's a lot easier to take 9 tricks than 11, and parter is allowed to hold Jxx or stiff K or whatever. It's probably not making, and if it's not making it's probably REALLY not making (like their 3S, actually...) but it's MP. -200 and -800 could easily score the same number of matchpoints. -100 might even.

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-March-21, 20:32

Here's a agreement I made up from studying the fix, I would not recommend it though. lol

3NT minors
4/4/4/4 one suited hands
4NT big minors

X is a relay (!) Partner bids 3NT. If you want to play there you pass (!) The strong hand is on the table [I know it is garbage so no comments please :)]

After partner bids 3NT, you bid 4 for /, 4 for /, 4 for / and 4 for and a minor two suited hands.

You saw it first here: the Bengtsson Convention :) :) :)

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-March-21, 21:08

3N is to play. Too valuable to give up. For me, a slow pass seems about right…a desire to bid but no good call

Just kidding

Pass, hopefully in tempo

I suspect one of the minors will play well, but I don’t know which and the hand is wrong, imo, for 4N
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 21:25

It's really the colors that kill it. Red vs White you're really trying to thread the needle. -100 (e.g. NV x-1) may well be a great score if par is -110 or -140 or whatever.

It's really really hard for -200 to do well at MP, unless it's 2M+3m, because you're not beating any score that's likely to occur at another table.

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-21, 22:55

I am surprised that people want 3NT as natural, opponents have preempted and raised a major and I am struggling to picture a hand that wants to play in 3NT
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-21, 23:12

View Postjillybean, on 2023-March-21, 22:55, said:

I am surprised that people want 3NT as natural, opponents have preempted and raised a major and I am struggling to picture a hand that wants to play in 3NT

Have you seen the suits and hands people preempt on at favorable these days? South could have a triple stopper and a strong hand. Or Axx and be able to hold up and prevail if can keep west off lead, opener may not have a side entry. Or a stopper and a long suit source of tricks, might have to gamble sometimes on partner providing some useful help for the ninth trick.

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-22, 03:47

IMHO 3NT is always natural unless
- we have a slower route available in the unlikely event that we want to play 3NT (this applies in some scenarios where opps double or redouble), OR
- a natural 3NT is completely impossible. This applied in some scenarios where we are a passed hand or opps are in a GF or we have preempted ourselves, OR
- some convention such as serious/frivolous 3NT applies

Anyway, I think I agree with pass although it wouldn't surprise me too much if it is wrong and that 3NT or 4NT has higher expected value.

If partner balances with 4 (not completely impossible, they should have a weak hand with 7+ hearts and we have agreed to play a direct 4 as stronger than 3) I will pass again. If partner balances with dbl it is penalty. If partner balances with 3NT it is a weak two-suiter (should be 6-5 I think) and probably 5m is enough.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-March-22, 04:19

View PostTylerE, on 2023-March-21, 13:21, said:

If I'm bidding (and I'm not) I'm bidding 4D, not 4C, because if we're bidding at all we're bidding 5m over 4, right? Can't correct to , and the suit quality difference while there isn't vast. If the suits were Qxxxx AKQJx this would be a different conversation.

Really at these colors though, just...no. We could easily beat 3S 2 or 3 tricks while not being able to make squat. On a good day, partner leads their stiff club
or doubleton club and we're taking like 8 tricks off the top with a few ruffs.

If I was going to take a stab at anything (and again, I'm not), well, it's a lot easier to take 9 tricks than 11, and parter is allowed to hold Jxx or stiff K or whatever. It's probably not making, and if it's not making it's probably REALLY not making (like their 3S, actually...) but it's MP. -200 and -800 could easily score the same number of matchpoints. -100 might even.

You can't correct diamonds to clubs, but you could bid it like a 2146 and bid 4N second time.

I agree with everybody pass is right, but the fact that this has been posted indicates it's not going to work

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-22, 12:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-March-22, 04:19, said:

I agree with everybody pass is right, but the fact that this has been posted indicates it's not going to work

It worked very well, but I was W.

North/South were discussing what a 3NT bid would show here, I play disciplined weak2's so 3NT for the minors makes sense to me.
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-22, 12:58

I think 3NT should be to play and this hand should pass. Sometimes they get you. 4 (GF both minors) is an aggressive alternative, perhaps worth considering if we have been informed that the opponents play disciplined preempts (although I would still pass).
I play Nonleaping Michaels on this auction.
I would have raised to 4 opposite a disciplined weak two.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-22, 15:38

View Postjillybean, on 2023-March-22, 12:24, said:

North/South were discussing what a 3NT bid would show here, I play disciplined weak2's so 3NT for the minors makes sense to me.

It may make sense but right now it's making my brain itch. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-22, 16:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2023-March-22, 15:38, said:

It may make sense but right now it's making my brain itch. B-)

Haha, I love the expression.
Have I not expressed it clearly or do you simply think that 3NT to show South's hand is crazy?
(still learning)

#15 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-22, 16:30

With 4NT available if you wanted to play in a minor, I don't think you need a second bid specifically designed to stop on a dime of 4m. 4m is the wrong place to play if you're making 11 tricks, wrong most of the time that you're making 9 tricks, wrong any time it pushes them into a making game..

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-22, 16:42

I understand that. Mistakenly, I did not envisage a natural 3NT in this situation so why use 4NT?
3NT leaves room for partner to cue the opponents Major/ other Major, we may have a minor slam?

The subsequent replies make it clear that I do want a natural 3NT bid here, end of brain itch.
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-March-23, 00:54

3NT is obviously natural and to play. I pass this hand.
You can't imagine a hand that wants to bid 3NT naturally?
Kx Ax AKQJxxx Kx
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-23, 03:49

View Postthe hog, on 2023-March-23, 00:54, said:

3NT is obviously natural and to play. I pass this hand.
You can't imagine a hand that wants to bid 3NT naturally?
Kx Ax AKQJxxx Kx

Do you want to stop in 3NT?
(still learning)

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-23, 14:56

I guess being safe, you do want to stop in a makeable contract rather than a pinpoint landing on 6
Boring, but ok :)
(still learning)

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-March-23, 19:13

"Do you want to stop in 3NT?"
If 3NT is making and 6 minor is not, of course I do.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users