BBO Discussion Forums: breaking the transfer, what does the break show? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

breaking the transfer, what does the break show?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-May-20, 15:13

I'm familiar with breaking the transfer after a 1NT opening, where bidding a suit other than partner's shows a maximum with four card support and a doubleton in the suit bid. My question is, what does breaking the transfer after a 2NT opening (or 2 followed by 2NT) show?

I held this hand (can't remember exactly but this is very close):

A3
KT75
AKT
AK63

We were playing Benj Acol and I opened 2, and bid 2NT after partner's 2 response showing 21-22 balanced. Partner then bids 3 and I responded 4 thinking this showed a maximum with four hearts and strength in clubs, and left 4 available in case partner was bust and wanted to re-transfer. She bid 4 and played there making 13 tricks. She held AQJxxx and a queen in one of the minors, it might have been QJ but I am not certain.

What do you think breaking a transfer into a new suit should say here?

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-20, 15:20

What we do, which is not standard:

Bidding a new suit shows at least HHxxx in that suit and Hxx in partner's suit H=AKQ

3N/4 of partner's suit are min/max with 4 card support

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-20, 15:50

There’s no single right answer. I play different things in my two serious partnerships, but in one we’re influenced by an idiosyncratic transfer method

For example, when responder is 5-5 majors, with at least game values, we transfer to hearts, not spades. Then responder bids 4C with slam interest and 4D with no slam interest. Opener’s only superaccept is 3S (over which we don’t show the spade suit….hearts are trump)

In the other, we again use 3S as a superaccept, but 4H instead would show a superaccept with three side aces.

Showing a source of tricks is a playable alternative.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-20, 15:54

View PostAL78, on 2022-May-20, 15:13, said:

What do you think breaking a transfer into a new suit should say here?

We use the first three steps to show 2, 3 and 4+ cards in partner's suit. Higher bids are cues with 4+ card support. Responder's second bid is a cue when we have a known fit, natural otherwise.

Also not standard, but it works fairly well.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 01:25

4 was Gerber, 4 showed one ace. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 02:04

There are various possibilities. In one partnership we show where our values lie. In another we simply start cue bidding up the line (Italian style).

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-May-21, 02:35

View Postmikeh, on 2022-May-20, 15:50, said:

There’s no single right answer. I play different things in my two serious partnerships, but in one we’re influenced by an idiosyncratic transfer method

For example, when responder is 5-5 majors, with at least game values, we transfer to hearts, not spades. Then responder bids 4C with slam interest and 4D with no slam interest. Opener’s only superaccept is 3S (over which we don’t show the spade suit….hearts are trump)

In the other, we again use 3S as a superaccept, but 4H instead would show a superaccept with three side aces.

Showing a source of tricks is a playable alternative.

We deal with the 5-5s by bidding 4 either to play in 4M or definitely continuing, 3-3-4 as a mild slam invite, 54xx go thru 3

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2022-May-21, 04:32

Hi,

we play value showing.

I would suggest, that you look at your game tries, after a major suit fit got agreed, if you play shortage,
go for shortage, if you play value, go for value.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 05:43

I'm familiar with breaking the transfer after a 1NT opening, where bidding a suit other than partner's shows a maximum with four card support and a doubleton in the suit bid. My question is, what does breaking the transfer after a 2NT opening (or 2 followed by 2NT) show?

Not sure if showing a doubleton over 1NT is really useful, but fine.

Over 2NT, you have 2 things to consider:
- does simple acceptance show a fit, or can it be 2-cd
- space for curing is small
- in case of a slam, showing your source of tricks (eg a nice suit) rather than a control can help responder better assess the hand

I tend towards the latter.

And same for responder after opener accepts, a new suit is rather a 54 hand than a cue.

#10 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-21, 07:11

I know a little about Benji Acol but surely partner should have given you a positive response with 2 to your 2 bid with AQJxxx (Qx outside). Or is 2 your positive response - relay - and 2 shows a zilch?

#11 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 08:11

I'm familiar with breaking the transfer after a 1NT opening, where bidding a suit other than partner's shows a maximum with four card support and a doubleton in the suit bid.

Surely, that is a *weak* doubleton. So that a borderline-invitational responder can identify wasted quacks.

#12 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 10:46

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-21, 07:11, said:

I know a little about Benji Acol but surely partner should have given you a positive response with 2 to your 2 bid with AQJxxx (Qx outside). Or is 2 your positive response - relay - and 2 shows a zilch?

I didn't think of that, but a 2 response is just a relay. Some people respond 2 on any hand, waiting for opener to clarify their hand.

#13 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-May-21, 11:15

Playing this version of Puppet Stayman

2NT - 3R - 3NT would should 2M & 5oM
2 - 2NT - 3R- 3NT would should 2M & 5oM
& for completeness
1NT - 2 - 2NT shows 32

#14 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 13:13

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-21, 07:11, said:

http://clairebridge....s/benjiacol.pdf

"In response to the 2 opening, your
partner closes his eyes and bids 2 (a
relay), and then you can show your suit:
2 8 playing tricks in hearts
2 8 playing tricks in spades
3 9 playing tricks in clubs
3 9 playing tricks in diamonds
Yes, it really is worth closing your eyes as
responder, because this allows the system
to work smoothly. The 2 response is
not a negative bid, it is just a relay which
allows partner to show his hand."

#15 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-21, 14:27

View PostAL78, on 2022-May-21, 13:13, said:

"In response to the 2 opening, your
partner closes his eyes and bids 2 (a
relay)

In Benji it is usual for 2D to be a relay over the 2C opening, but 2H is a negative over a 2D opening.

But it is better to understand the rationale, because then you will make thoughtful bids rather than robotic bids. The reason for the 2D relay is to give space for opener to show a possible strong hand with hearts without having to go to the three-level. But on this particular hand it is perfectly reasonable to bid a 2H positive response, because partner will be delighted if they actually hold hearts! The thinking response on this hand is 2H.

#16 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-May-22, 05:17

I don't play anything fancy; cue bid upwards (on this hand 3) or bid a direct 4 to show good support but poor controls for a 2NT opener. This opening hand is exceptionally rich in controls, which is quite hard to get across. I might have risked treating it as a 23 count and opened 2 or 2 according to how you play Benji.

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-May-22, 10:44

I think it makes sense to give a control bid. Maybe 3NT to show a control in the suit below the trump suit, to allow transfer.

After 1NT, I don't like doubleton showing. Often responder doesn't care so why leak information that may help opps defense. Just bid the cheapest non-accept (2 for hearts, 2NT for spades) and then responder can make some subtle game try if they want.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-22, 12:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-May-22, 10:44, said:

I think it makes sense to give a control bid. Maybe 3NT to show a control in the suit below the trump suit, to allow transfer.

After 1NT, I don't like doubleton showing. Often responder doesn't care so why leak information that may help opps defense. Just bid the cheapest non-accept (2 for hearts, 2NT for spades) and then responder can make some subtle game try if they want.

Why not use other transfer breaking bids that are available? If responder has a nice 9-10 count, opener showing a shortage or a feature will tell responder how well the two hands mesh, and responder may be able to bid a low HCP game on the basis of minimal wastage. If you don't like showing a doubleton, how about showing a feature (A/K)?

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-May-22, 12:26

View PostAL78, on 2022-May-22, 12:18, said:

Why not use other transfer breaking bids that are available? If responder has a nice 9-10 count, opener showing a shortage or a feature will tell responder how well the two hands mesh, and responder may be able to bid a low HCP game on the basis of minimal wastage. If you don't like showing a doubleton, how about showing a feature (A/K)?

You could, but if opener always bids 2/2NT, responder still has two game tries available in addition to the re-transfer. So that is almost as good.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-May-26, 08:26

Without specific discussion, I would expect it to mean the same thing as the analogous transfer break a level lower after a 1NT opening. This might not be the best use, as the various answers here have indicated. But since there are so many possibilities there's no way to know which one it could be, so you should just be consistent. If you want something better, discuss it with partner beforehand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users