BBO Discussion Forums: Do Both Partners See Explanation when One Asks bidder for an Explanation? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do Both Partners See Explanation when One Asks bidder for an Explanation? Bidding Explanation

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-December-03, 13:44

Hello! Just curious. Do both partners see a bid explanation when one clicks on a bid for clarification?

I was involved in a casual game and held 18 points over a 1 spade bid while holding the A,K,x,x. In SA, the way to show a hand with over 16 points in the overcall seat is to double and then bid something that partner did not bid. I was hoping for a 3NT game.

Anyway, my left hand op bid 2 diamonds over my double. The bid was outlined in light red. I was not sure if that meant anything since there was no alert box, and I clicked on the 2 diamond bid. The reply was that it was a transfer to hearts - definitely not SA!

My partner passed. He had K,Q,x,x of hearts and a singleton in diamonds.

They ended up in 2 hearts, making the contract and a zero for us.

At the time, I thought it was just poor bidding and miscommunication between my partner and me.

Now, I wonder if he did not receive the information I did when I clicked on the ops 2 diamond bid. I presumed he would have since both of us would have received the information at a live table.

I've sent him a PM to ask and have not heard back yet, so I thought I would ask on the forum for additional information and guidance. Best regards.

Mike

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-03, 14:05

Yes, both people see the description.

NB - in Standard American, a 1NT overcall shows 15-18 points (slightly wider than a 1NT opener). Double followed by no trumps would be stronger, and double followed by a suit would imply a strong one-suited hand.

#3 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-03, 14:10

True. A 1NT bid by me would have been a better call since I had two stoppers in ops opener, so my double was an incorrect bid in this situation. I had a brain freeze! That happens to me at times at the end of a game.

Thank you for clarifying that both partners see an opposing player's explanation (I presume that his partner would not.) Best regards.

Mike

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-03, 15:01

South writes an explanation in the bidding box.
After bidding the call made will have a grey background.

If South also clicks the alert button the call has a red line around it and a grey background.
East and West can click on the bid to read the explanation.

If East or West do not click on the bid they do not see the explanation.

North does not see the South explanations until play is completed.

#5 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-03, 15:11

Thank you! That helps me understand the diagram/schematics.

Mike

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users