• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-14, 03:00

ner

what should S second bid be?

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-November-14, 03:14

Given 2 is forcing with South's hand a touch above minimum, but not GF, I bid 2NT with a semblance of control in the other suits. I tend to only rebid with 6+

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-14, 04:18

3 for me. Both 2NT and 3 look reasonable, but with this little wasted in spades I think 4 is more likely than 3NT. If partner finds another bid we know what to do (4 over 3 or 3, pass over 3NT).

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-14, 06:33

Hi,

I would go with 3H, and this is not GF.
2NT is an option.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-14, 11:58

I thought the « garbage » call was 2S.

Yes, it could also be a strong hand, but it is the cheapest bid that doesn’t promise or strongly suggest something we don’t quite have, like a stopper for 2NT, a second suit for 3C, a better or longer suit for 3D, or a real fit for 3H.

Otherwise I’m trying 2NT, if partner has a little something or if they block, 3NT is not down yet. And if partner doesn’t insist in NT, I’ll take back to H.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-November-14, 13:49

View Postapollo1201, on 2021-November-14, 11:58, said:

I thought the « garbage » call was 2S.

Yes, it could also be a strong hand, but it is the cheapest bid that doesn’t promise or strongly suggest something we don’t quite have, like a stopper for 2NT, a second suit for 3C, a better or longer suit for 3D, or a real fit for 3H.

Otherwise I’m trying 2NT, if partner has a little something or if they block, 3NT is not down yet. And if partner doesn’t insist in NT, I’ll take back to H.

I’m pretty sure that virtually every experienced player, playing a standard-based method (so not a big club where 1D was limited to 15 hcp) would treat 2S as unambiguously forcing to game…typically either a good heart raise, too strong to bid 4H, or a powerful diamond suit, probing for notrump or a game/slam in diamonds or, if responder has great hearts, hearts)

I’ve never heard of 2S here as a stall, and think it horrific if it is. Wtf is responder supposed to do if 2S could be anything from a slam try to an attempt to get out at the 3-level?

On this hand, I’d bid 2N. The lack of a 2S bid on my right persuades me. If partner bids 3D, I’m done. If he bids 3H, I’m not sure it’s forcing…I think it best that it’s not.

Btw, it’s pretty much expert standard to rebid 1N with this had responder doubled 1H, so I think this is somewhat analogous.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users