BBO Discussion Forums: Multiple challenges - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple challenges Brave or foolish?

#21 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-November-08, 09:17

View Postmw64ahw, on 2021-November-08, 03:32, said:

Undoubtedly with a pick-up partner w. limited 5 card major knowledgePosted Image, although not something I'd dare try with my regular partner.

Your balancing decision has nothing at all to do with playing five card majors.

You made a misleading bid…misleading as to shape and strength. You planned on making another misleading bid had partner neither passed nor raised hearts.

In short, you were masterminding in the worst possible way.

Bridge is a collaborative endeavour. Now, in many clubs one can get away with being a mastermind, so long as one has no respect for one’s partners. But neither you nor your partners will get better, and (despite feeling smug about lucky results) on balance you’ll be missing out on the best part of the game….bidding and playing as a partnership.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-November-08, 10:18

View Postmikeh, on 2021-November-08, 09:17, said:

Your balancing decision has nothing at all to do with playing five card majors.

You made a misleading bid…misleading as to shape and strength. You planned on making another misleading bid had partner neither passed nor raised hearts.

In short, you were masterminding in the worst possible way.

Bridge is a collaborative endeavour. Now, in many clubs one can get away with being a mastermind, so long as one has no respect for one's partners. But neither you nor your partners will get better, and (despite feeling smug about lucky results) on balance you'll be missing out on the best part of the game….bidding and playing as a partnership.

My quote on smugness was made with tongue in cheek, but on a more serious note what is the optimal way to convey 55 in the Majors with the above hand?:
Is it best to:
  • X and bid followed by (bear in mind I Xed on an earlier hand and got left it it at the 1 level for a bottom without partner having length in the opponents suit)?
  • Bid then jump to 3?
  • Jump to 2 followed by a raise and hope partner understands with no agreement on Michaels etc.?
  • Jump to 3 and hope its not construed as a stopper ask?
  • Any other bid?

#23 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-November-08, 10:38

View Postmw64ahw, on 2021-November-08, 10:18, said:

My quote on smugness was made with tongue in cheek, but on a more serious note what is the optimal way to convey 55 in the Majors with the above hand?:
Is it best to:
  • X and bid followed by (bear in mind I Xed on an earlier hand and got left it it at the 1 level for a bottom without partner having length in the opponents suit)?
  • Bid then jump to 3?
  • Jump to 2 followed by a raise and hope partner understands with no agreement on Michaels etc.?
  • Jump to 3 and hope its not construed as a stopper ask?
  • Any other bid?

How best to move depends on such things as whether you'd be ok with partner passing a reopening double, as he will/should with say KJ109x in diamonds

If you feel that you don't want to risk that then you must make another call.

On the hand you had, I'd be delighted if partner passes a double...that diamond Queen would be gold then...plus my holding that card slightly reduces the chances of that.

However, imo the hand is going to be difficult to bid if partner bids 1N or 2C...if he bids 1N, I suppose I bid 2D, since this is a gf hand opposite 1N. But I may have trouble locating a 5-3 major suit fit after that start...which might work out ok but which rates to be inferior.

Thus I'd bid 2D.

I'd plan to raise 2M to 3M, and trust partner thereafter. If he bids 2N, I bid 3N.

whether you call 2D Michaels, as it would be in direct seat, or not is a side issue of no significance. I doubt that anyone beyond beginner level would misread this action.

Note that in addressing this issue, one needs to anticipate plausible actions by partner (as well as by the opps). Here, while double is likely a big winner if partner can convert, it creates rebid problems in the likely event that he cannot pass. Therefore, to me, double is too likely to lead to awkward followups to be worthwhile.

While 1D x'd may be the best possible contract, I don't think it is the best contract possible, since I think that the double is ill-advised due to frequency of gain issues.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users