BBO Discussion Forums: Should I have called the director? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I have called the director?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-24, 12:04

Another hand from Friday evening teams (on RealBridge), partner and I were playing 5CM, 1M - 3/ showed constructive raises, direct raises were weak with some shape and good support. I had revealed the system at the start of the round but had only mentioned the constructive raises part, not the pre-emptive raises part.

AT2
J93

Partner opened as dealer 1 and I raised to 3 after LHO passed (felt the hand lacked the shape to raise to 4). Partner failed to alert and that ended the auction.

I explained the raise was weak prior to the opening lead and my LHO wasn't impressed when my hand came down. As I suspected he had a decent hand. The full deal:

NS have a big two suited fit and can make game in any of the other three suits (of course they are never going to choose to play in 5) so we gained 11 imps after we drifted two down undoubled. South said if he knew the raise was weak he would have doubled. At the time I felt we had fixed the opponents in a bad way with the lack of alert, so should I have called the director on their behalf who might have given an adjusted score? Out of four teams, two other NS pairs found 4 and one was in 3. On the other hand, North could have overcalled in spades then no amount of pre-emptive raising by me will stop South bidding game, so perhaps they were at least partially responsible for their game swing out?

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-24, 12:38

View PostAL78, on 2021-October-24, 12:04, said:

NS have a big two suited fit and can make game in any of the other three suits (of course they are never going to choose to play in 5) so we gained 11 imps after we drifted two down undoubled. South said if he knew the raise was weak he would have doubled. At the time I felt we had fixed the opponents in a bad way with the lack of alert, so should I have called the director on their behalf who might have given an adjusted score?

I would have called the Director because I was aware that my partner had committed an infraction, independent of the possible consequences in terms of play and law. You are not obliged to do so, however, and your opponents were foolish to complain but not call themselves.
[Edit: in this particular case you ARE obliged to do so, as mycroft points out below]

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-24, 13:52

You were right to call the director, but you should have called a doctor as well: North for sure (9HCPs only and red but 54 shape, no lost points in the doubletons, and South probably seem to have no pulse.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2021-October-24, 14:34

View Postapollo1201, on 2021-October-24, 13:52, said:

You were right to call the director, but you should have called a doctor as well: North for sure (9HCPs only and red but 54 shape, no lost points in the doubletons, and South probably seem to have no pulse.

North is not great in offense and South thinks North is weak and East is inviting: questions of partnership/club style, but I wouldn't call the doctor here.

#5 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-25, 10:24

RealBridge is partner-Alerts, and you can "hear" them, right? Then the Law says:

20F5b said:

A player who believes that partner’s explanation was erroneous (see Law 75B), must call the Director and inform the opponents, but only at the first legal opportunity, which is:...
(ii) for declarer or dummy, after the final pass of the auction.

Failure to Alert an Alertable call is "an erroneous explanation" (Law 40A1b and relevant EBU regulation), and must be corrected. Many do not call the Director for "trivial" misinformation, but as you can see from the Law, it's the right thing to do. Definitely, "giving the impression you have a game invitational hand when in fact you have a preempt" is one of those "likely to be an issue" ones, so I would have. But either way, *before the opening lead*, you must ensure the opponents know what 3 showed. Then, if you didn't call the Director, they likely will...

Even if you *had* mentioned that you play preemptive double raises in the beginning-of-round announcement, you are still required to Alert when it comes up, and the opponents could have been damaged by the misinformation if you don't. It's an assistance for them, not an alternative to your Alert requirements; they are neither required to listen to or understand it.

Of course, if it was self-Alert land, you were required to explain it when you made the bid. But today is Mon Mar 604 2020, so we all know that now.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-October-25, 13:58

L78 'Another hand from Friday evening teams (on RealBridge), partner and I were playing 5CM, 1M - 3/ showed constructive raises, direct raises were weak with some shape and good support. I had revealed the system at the start of the round but had only mentioned the constructive raises part, not the pre-emptive raises part.
Partner opened as dealer 1 and I raised to 3 after LHO passed (felt the hand lacked the shape to raise to 4). Partner failed to alert and that ended the auction. I explained the raise was weak prior to the opening lead and my LHO wasn't impressed when my hand came down. As I suspected he had a decent hand. The full deal:
NS have a big two suited fit and can make game in any of the other three suits (of course they are never going to choose to play in 5) so we gained 11 imps after we drifted two down undoubled. South said if he knew the raise was weak he would have doubled. At the time I felt we had fixed the opponents in a bad way with the lack of alert, so should I have called the director on their behalf who might have given an adjusted score? Out of four teams, two other NS pairs found 4 and one was in 3. On the other hand, North could have overcalled in spades then no amount of pre-emptive raising by me will stop South bidding game, so perhaps they were at least partially responsible for their game swing out?
+++++++++++++++++++
It's rarely wrong to call the director. Sensibly, The rules mandate that you call the director after what is, in effect, a misexplanation by omission.

Unfortunately, as usual, Bridge rules are made as sophisticated and subjective as possible, ensuring inconsistent and contentious rulings. For example, when opponents suspect a failure to disclose, they are meant to protect themselves by asking. Another daft and unnecessary rule that provides wriggle-room for the director :(

#7 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-02, 21:38

I trust the TD was called and ruled that the MI had damaged NS. If not, you should probably find a club to play in with a proper TD. Otherwise you might as well just be playing kitchen bridge.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-04, 03:07

Does anyone still play 1M-2M as invitational?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-04, 09:52

View PostVampyr, on 2021-November-04, 03:07, said:

Does anyone still play 1M-2M as invitational?

I cannot remember ever having seen a pair playing 1M - 2M as invitational. In the BBO Acol Club, 1M - 3M as invitational is almost 100% - I can only think of 1 pair that played something else and they were not even using Acol.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users