BBO Discussion Forums: Convention Card in Individual Tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Convention Card in Individual Tournament

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-07, 11:55

In an individual tournament, the Director complained that a convention I played was not listed on my Convention Card.

I always felt that an individual tournament only really makes sense if the Director himself imposes a CC, but I understand this is not possible in BBO.
The player setting his own card seems unrealistic, as partners will barely have time to read it, let alone resolve any conflicts.
Be that as it may, I was surprised by what the Director said.
I had no CC, or at least I did nothing to have one (I do have cards defined for a few known partners, but that almost never happens).

is it possible for player to set a card which will be seen by all his partners (and opponents) during an individual?
Or is it just possible to manually set a card with each new partner?
Or not even that?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-07, 12:22

Usually in an individual, either:
  • there's a quick discussion on what to play each round, or (more commonly)
  • a convention card is imposed on all players.

If you insist on playing your card with all comers, eventually either:
  • you'll run into someone who doesn't look, and just plays "normal"
  • you run into someone who can't play your card (because of course everyone plays Flannery and Reverse Bergen). Note: there are two ways of playing Bergen raises. Everyone knows which way is normal, and which way is reverse. Unfortunately, not everyone knows the *same* way as normal.
  • you run into someone else who insists everyone plays *their* card.

Enjoy.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-October-07, 12:52

View Postmycroft, on 2021-October-07, 12:22, said:

Usually in an individual, either:
  • there's a quick discussion on what to play each round, or (more commonly)
  • a convention card is imposed on all players.

If you insist on playing your card with all comers, eventually either:
  • you'll run into someone who doesn't look, and just plays "normal"
  • you run into someone who can't play your card (because of course everyone plays Flannery and Reverse Bergen). Note: there are two ways of playing Bergen raises. Everyone knows which way is normal, and which way is reverse. Unfortunately, not everyone knows the *same* way as normal.
  • you run into someone else who insists everyone plays *their* card.

Enjoy.

Thanks. No card was imposed - are you sure they can do this, other than just saying 'please play system XX'?
My understanding was that BBO could set GIB card internally but other Directors were stuck.

I didn't enjoy, because I didn't set a card and couldn't figure out why I should have done.
But the important thing is to know if I am missing something.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-07, 16:16

That's up to the person running the game. And yeah, "hey, everyone is playing SAYC in this tournament" or "if not agreed with partner, BBO 2/1 is assumed. If agreed with partner, ensure the opponents know what's going on" is common (not that I've run or played in many individuals on BBO).

It might be mentioned in the tournament notes, which nobody reads. It might have been mentioned by the director at the beginning of the event, which nobody listens to.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-October-08, 02:55

If the organiser had said at the beginning or in tournament description "you must play _THIS_ system" then I would have been delighted to read and comply, but she did not. Nor were cards mentioned.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-08, 13:10

View Postpescetom, on 2021-October-07, 11:55, said:

I had no CC, or at least I did nothing to have one (I do have cards defined for a few known partners, but that almost never happens).

Do you list conventions in your profile? In an individual, that's considered your CC.

#7 User is offline   mdpepper 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-08, 13:45

Individual tournaments need standardized CCs; the only logical way to do this is to make GIB the standard. For players not wishing to be that "sophisticated," the same "mouse" the bid method used in Robot games can reveal the meanings of both made calls and calls being considered. I really want to play in individual tournaments but would find it to be absolutely unpleasant to do so in online games. I've played in very enjoyable individual regional tournaments where you have a few moments at the start of each round to discuss what you're playing with your partner for that round. Trying such a discussion online is just not tenable; people are impatient and/or less tractable to being reasonable.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-October-08, 14:25

View Postbarmar, on 2021-October-08, 13:10, said:

Do you list conventions in your profile? In an individual, that's considered your CC.

Maybe that is what she meant, although if that is the case she should have said so (and before the tournament too).
In general one is not obliged to list conventions in profile and many opinions here (including yours IIRC) have deprecated this practice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users