• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO programme freezing

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-11, 13:55

BBO programme freezes whilst I am playing Bridge.

It started a couple of weeks back and now it’s at least once a day.

I will be playing Bridge and the screen freezes . . . I can move the mouse cursor but clicking on anything gets no response. I can't bid or chat and there is nothing moving on the screen apart from the mouse cursor. I can minimise the BBO screen and everything else on the PC is working properly with full, fast, uninterrupted internet connection. Sometimes an error message comes up at the bottom of the screen saying ‘BBO not responding.’ I have to go into task manager to close BBO down and re-log in.

Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-11, 14:28

Are you using the web version or the download version? This sounds like you're talking about the download version, but when I look at your login history you only use the web version.

P.S. I moved this thread from General Bridge Discussion to BBO Support Forum. Please use the BBO-specific areas of the forum when your question doesn't pertain to f2f bridge.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 14:43

Cant really suggest much, maybe try another browser. Chrome works fine with BBO usually.

#4 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 14:46

I access BBO via the internet by logging into the BBO web site.

I put this question in a more appropriate part of the forum a few days back and got no response. I formed the view that I got no response because nobody visited that part of the forum so I tried it in the 'General' section.

It's really frustrating, I can almost guarantee that at some point during the evening it'll freeze. The problem may be my PC but against that I can say that everything, I mean Everything else is working fine whilst BBO is frozen!

#5 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 14:48

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-July-11, 14:43, said:

Cant really suggest much, maybe try another browser. Chrome works fine with BBO usually.

I am using IE 11 on Windows 8 which I presume is pretty standard stuff.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-July-11, 20:01

Make sure you have up-to-date Flash Player.

And try another browser, like Firefox or Chrome.

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-July-12, 03:22

Hi euclidz (Jack)

You're not the only one it affects, trust me. Many a time I've been at a settled table, and then suddenly one of the players just does not respond.

I used to have problems with both the Windows and download version of BBO, but don't seem to have any major problems now - just one abrupt disconnection in over a 100+ logins (under my other profile).

I use a Windows 10, IE 11 setup, on a 8 GB RAM computer, with just a wireless 7.2 Mb dongle on EE (Windows version of BBO)

Before I had Windows 7, IE 10, on a 2 GB RAM computer with the same dongle.

There are multiple reasons why freezing and disconnection occurs. I am no computer expert but it was explained to me that the operating system may not be fast enough, so best to upgrade to Windows 10. (I am not sure if Microsoft still offer a free upgrade.)

Also the RAM on the computer may not be enough if multiple things are happening on the computer at the same time. Close other windows while running BBO, and establish how much memory, let's say virus software, is being used too. Very good virus software can take up quite a bit of your computer's RAM. My computer was plodding, plodding along with 2 GB RAM, so it's now 4 x bigger and a lot better for it.

As someone else said, the latest version of Adobe Flash is an important addition. And also checking with your internet provider if they are repairing masts in your area at any given time, because if you are on wireless like me, the reception can sometimes dip if maintenance is being carried out.

I'm not sure where you live but I am sure that not everybody is on a 4G network in the UK. You may be still on 3G which is a lot better than HSPA , but isn't as good as 4G.

Also, players tend to complain more, I find, if they are using an iPad or Tablet, that BBO isn't as user-friendly as using a normal PC. Don't ask me why, just a casual observation from conversations on BBO.

Hope this helps.

#8 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 07:56

Thanks I'll start by looking at update flash.

The computer I use (laptop) is the same computer I've been using since I first registered with BBO so whatever it is, it is something that wasn't there a few weeks back and wasn't there for many months before that.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-July-12, 08:13

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-July-12, 07:56, said:

The computer I use (laptop) is the same computer I've been using since I first registered with BBO so whatever it is, it is something that wasn't there a few weeks back and wasn't there for many months before that.

We haven't made any changes to the BBO application in a while, and this is not a widespread problem, so it's probably something that changed on your system, like an automatic update to anti-virus.

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-12, 11:37

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-July-12, 03:22, said:

Hi euclidz (Jack)

You're not the only one it affects, trust me. Many a time I've been at a settled table, and then suddenly one of the players just does not respond.

I used to have problems with both the Windows and download version of BBO, but don't seem to have any major problems now - just one abrupt disconnection in over a 100+ logins (under my other profile).

I use a Windows 10, IE 11 setup, on a 8 GB RAM computer, with just a wireless 7.2 Mb dongle on EE (Windows version of BBO)

Before I had Windows 7, IE 10, on a 2 GB RAM computer with the same dongle.

There are multiple reasons why freezing and disconnection occurs. I am no computer expert but it was explained to me that the operating system may not be fast enough, so best to upgrade to Windows 10. (I am not sure if Microsoft still offer a free upgrade.)

Also the RAM on the computer may not be enough if multiple things are happening on the computer at the same time. Close other windows while running BBO, and establish how much memory, let's say virus software, is being used too. Very good virus software can take up quite a bit of your computer's RAM. My computer was plodding, plodding along with 2 GB RAM, so it's now 4 x bigger and a lot better for it.

As someone else said, the latest version of Adobe Flash is an important addition. And also checking with your internet provider if they are repairing masts in your area at any given time, because if you are on wireless like me, the reception can sometimes dip if maintenance is being carried out.

I'm not sure where you live but I am sure that not everybody is on a 4G network in the UK. You may be still on 3G which is a lot better than HSPA , but isn't as good as 4G.

Also, players tend to complain more, I find, if they are using an iPad or Tablet, that BBO isn't as user-friendly as using a normal PC. Don't ask me why, just a casual observation from conversations on BBO.

Hope this helps.

As per my knowledge the conversion from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is still available free of charge but only upto end of July.Please go to google ,download Windows 10 for Windows 7 pc from Microsoft.( Free download.).Its a lengthy file and takes considerable time and hence the battery must be Fully charged and preferably AC power support on.

#11 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 14:03

View Postbarmar, on 2016-July-12, 08:13, said:

We haven't made any changes to the BBO application in a while, and this is not a widespread problem, so it's probably something that changed on your system, like an automatic update to anti-virus.

I've just noticed that I freeze sometimes when the advertising at the side changes. It seems like (for some adds) it's struggling to load and freezing me whilst it loads.

#12 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 15:32

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-July-12, 14:03, said:

I've just noticed that I freeze sometimes when the advertising at the side changes. It seems like (for some adds) it's struggling to load and freezing me whilst it loads.

Again another evening of freezing every time the add changes and then it got to 'plasterboards on special offer at Wickes' and that was me frozen off with 'BBO not responding.' I understand and accept that we play for free and BBO want money for what they provide but I can't believe that there is a Bridge player somewhere in the world who is. seeing that add, going to rush out and buy some plasterboard!

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 15:54

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-July-12, 15:32, said:

Again another evening of freezing every time the add changes and then it got to 'plasterboards on special offer at Wickes' and that was me frozen off with 'BBO not responding.' I understand and accept that we play for free and BBO want money for what they provide but I can't believe that there is a Bridge player somewhere in the world who is. seeing that add, going to rush out and buy some plasterboard!

I've hidden ads for your username euclidz. Please log off and try again, let me know if it's better.

You shd however consider changing browser, IE is slower than Chrome with or without ads.

#14 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 02:24

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-July-12, 15:54, said:

I've hidden ads for your username euclidz. Please log off and try again, let me know if it's better.

You shd however consider changing browser, IE is slower than Chrome with or without ads.

Thanks for that - I'm away until Thursday I'll try it them and report back

#15 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 02:32

Don't know if this is any help, but some time ago I switched from Chrome to Firefox. Since then I've had hardly any problems. Under Chrome I had frequent lock-ups.

I'm on Windows XP (yes really!). I have another laptop with W7 on it, but I rarely use that to access BBO.

#16 User is offline   emalka 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 01:40

I play only free robot tournaments with downloaded mobile version 3.91 and Android tablet
It freezees now and then, about once in 20 tournaments. This has been going on for a few months. To continue, the application has to be closed and started again.

#17 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:35

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-July-12, 15:54, said:

That seems to have solved the problem. I've just played for an hour and it never froze and never looked like it wanted to freeze.

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:43

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-July-14, 14:35, said:

That seems to have solved the problem. I've just played for an hour and it never froze and never looked like it wanted to freeze.

Thanks, appreciate the follow-up. We'll try to reduce the number of scripts loading and big size ads so that they wont interfere with the playing experience. Normally the ads should not affect BBO play at all.

#19 User is offline   AugustaDan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:04

What solved this really annoying problem for me was clicking on the circled i in the address bar to the left of the www.bridgebase and making sure I set everything to allow. This works on Windows 10 systems Chrome browser.

#20 User is offline   nigc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-12, 11:18

During playing a small slam my iPad screen went back to the page after login . Can you get back to the table you are playing on ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users