BBO Discussion Forums: TCR restrictions for Team Matches - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TCR restrictions for Team Matches

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,606
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-August-03, 17:26

My regular partner and I have been using team matches for our practice sessions for a while now, but one problem we keep running into is players leaving whenever they get a bad board, or even seemingly just disagreeing with something their partner did. This often ends up with the match getting cancelled when we can't get the substitutes in quickly enough.

To add insult to injury, any hands played when that happens don't even appear in the history. Just tonight, we had 2 nice slam hands that have vanished into the abyss when a match got cancelled.

Would it be possible to allow open team matches with a TCR requirement (of course, with leaving a team match affecting TCR)? At least it would give us some faith that they would stick around regardless of the result.

We would prefer to keep to playing team matches at all possible, we don't exactly take pleasure from gaining 4 imps for bidding a normal 4S with 10 iron-clad tricks. While we probably should also get a good pair to spar off against, only don't want to potentially tie people down when our plans could be changing at very short notice.
Wayne Somerville
0

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

  • pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,531
  • Joined: 2019-October-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Writing, Learning, History, Politics

Posted 2021-August-03, 18:22

So to be clear, you are upset because you and your partner rope in 6 random people to play an unclocked team match and when it crashes because all 6 people don't complete, this interferes with your learning experience?


I suspect that the problem you are facing is that Team matches are not that interesting for subs looking to enhance their TCR.

I also tried to use team matches for this purpose a while back, but I restricted the duration to four boards to make it more interesting and more likely to finish.
This creates (a very mild) incentive to complete so you can see the result, particularly at IMPs, where a swing on the last board can make a big difference.


You are asking people to give up their time for no tangible reward.
If you only ask for a small amount of time, perhaps they will be more willing to donate it.


The alternative is to buy a Prime membership for a month (free for the first week). Then you and your partner can practice with robots in the other two seats for hours, and nobody will hear you scream.
Your results will be compared with 15 other people.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek, J'ai toujours misé sur l'étrange gentillesse des robots.
0

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,606
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-August-03, 18:45

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-03, 18:22, said:

So to be clear, you are upset because you and your partner rope in 6 random people to play an unclocked team match and when it crashes because all 6 people don't complete, this interferes with your learning experience?


I suspect that the problem you are facing is that Team matches are not that interesting for subs looking to enhance their TCR.

The issue isn't with increasing TCR, it's that if someone comes in with a low TCR, you'll know they have a habit of leaving. Putting a TCR filter in will filter those people out so those people don't join in the first place.

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-03, 18:22, said:

I also tried to use team matches for this purpose a while back, but I restricted the duration to four boards to make it more interesting and more likely to finish.
This creates (a very mild) incentive to complete so you can see the result, particularly at IMPs, where a swing on the last board can make a big difference.

That is an interesting idea, I would however say that very few high level team events are played in 4 board segments (I can only think of the Resinger and I believe that's 6 boards though not played in it, and that's in BAM scoring). It also creates a lot more randomness.

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-03, 18:22, said:

You are asking people to give up their time for no tangible reward.
If you only ask for a small amount of time, perhaps they will be more willing to donate it.



This might sound harsh, but you have an idea of how long something is going to take before you join it. It's not like we are having issues getting people in the first place.

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-03, 18:22, said:

The alternative is to buy a Prime membership for a month (free for the first week). Then you and your partner can practice with robots in the other two seats for hours, and nobody will hear you scream.
Your results will be compared with 15 other people.

I let my Prime membership expire, not enough benefits for me. May as well use the MBC if we wanted that. Besides, it's not like we can tell the robots our methods.

As an aside, I also think Team Matches should never auto-cancel. Leave that decision up to the director/host.
Wayne Somerville
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users