Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swiss Teams substitution issue a note to take care

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-25, 14:40

I ran my first Swiss Teams tournament this afternoon and ran into a 'feature' with initial substitutions. This is just to note what happened so that others take more care than I did.

I had arranged two substitute pairs when really you need three if you do not want any sit outs.

The worst scenario occurred, with 30 full teams and one additional pair. So the event starts with 32 teams and six red sit outs. My plan was to use my two substitute pairs and one pair of robots, assigned to the weakest pair so that they would not end up competing at the top of the field.

However clicking on the red sit outs to substitute seemed to cause the replacements to go into the wrong seat. Wrong as in not the seat that I was expecting to be filled. Fortunately one of the humans declined the invitation to sit with the wrong partner, but one of them failed this test and was placed in the South seat when he should have been in the West seat.

Unfortunately, once I'd made this mistake I was no longer able to put him into a West seat, either immediately or even after the first round had completed. So I ended up with two robot pairs, which was unfortunate from my perspective as one pair of human subs was not used.

I should have refreshed the table list after each substitution to see where people had been placed, then I might have been able to see what was happening. BBO should have allowed me to substitute the person into any seat in the following round.

I did ask one of the free yellows if they could help, but unsurprisingly this was a request beyond their knowledge. It is a new area and we'll only discover some of the wrinkles by finding them ourselves.

Overall the event was a success (five rounds of five-boards) and ran very smoothly. It would be nice to have WBF continuous VP scale rather than the ACBL VP20 scale though!

Paul

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-26, 05:57

In future, during Swiss Teams events, I'll go to the table to do the substitutions. However I've not experienced such problems substituting from the table list before.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users