BBO Discussion Forums: Two questions: Can I add a table after a tournament has begun? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two questions: Can I add a table after a tournament has begun? And: can the director see a traveller for a board mid-tournament?

#1 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-22, 23:18

If I am running a barometer event, there is no logical reason why I can't add four (or eight, etc) players during the first round. Is it possible for BBO to do this? More income for them if it's a money game.

Also, can the TD see the traveller for a board while the tourney is in progress? This would make adjusting scores quicker.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-23, 01:00

View Postzenbiddist, on 2020-April-22, 23:18, said:

If I am running a barometer event, there is no logical reason why I can't add four (or eight, etc) players during the first round. Is it possible for BBO to do this? More income for them if it's a money game.

Also, can the TD see the traveller for a board while the tourney is in progress? This would make adjusting scores quicker.

Thanks!

Adding tables after the tournament starts has never been permitted as far as I know. I doubt it would become a high priority for a change. Get people to be there on time :)

You cannot see the traveller and I've seen other directors ask for something similar, like the current results during the tournament. I'm not a qualified director but those I know would pour scorn at looking at the traveller prior to making a ruling with associated adjustment. Results at other tables may not have the same auctions, lead, initial play, or be played by those with comparable skill.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 01:17

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-23, 01:00, said:

Adding tables after the tournament starts has never been permitted as far as I know. I doubt it would become a high priority for a change. Get people to be there on time :)

You cannot see the traveller and I've seen other directors ask for something similar, like the current results during the tournament. I'm not a qualified director but those I know would pour scorn at looking at the traveller prior to making a ruling with associated adjustment. Results at other tables may not have the same auctions, lead, initial play, or be played by those with comparable skill.

It's in BBO's interest to add late players, especially paying players.
When I direct games, it feels good to know I can adjust most movements on the fly to accommodate a late pair. You can substitute one movement for another between rounds without moving boards or removing scores if you understand the movements. It's especially simple when two pairs turn up simultaneously to a barometer game (BBO tournament). That's happening quite a lot on BBO right now as a lot of the bridge playing population is learning BBO and sometimes struggling with the technology.

Rulings: looking at the traveller to decide how to adjust a score can be critical. Imagine that a round ends while there are three cards left to play, and the players are whisked on to the next table. BBO assigns 50% to each pair for the board, but declarer has already failed by a minimum of two tricks, and may have gone three off. Often both scores are well below 50%, and fetch the same matchpoint percentage. In that case it is clear to adjust the score and how. As far as I know, there is no quick way for the TD to see a traveller, which clarifies this in seconds.

#4 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-23, 05:07

At this point, there is only one call to seat registered players. They either get it (and get charged) or miss it (no charge).

I have no idea how much work would take to change this, but wouldn't expect it to be easy.

(who would get a late seat? how late? what's the chance the miss a board on the first round? if applies, have to redo sections and stratification, limited by the pairings already made for round one; I'm sure there's more issues).

As Paul said, get people on time. To be on the safe side, at least 3-5 minutes before the schedules start. On the dot might be late. A few seconds before might be late.

For adjusting unfinished boards, you look at the progression of bidding and play on that board (which BBO allows you to see), and decide what would happen on that basis.

There is an important limitation: No split scores besides a combination of averages is currently supported.

But travellers are not needed for this. Others tables results are irrelevant for this process.

#5 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-26, 01:39

View Postzenbiddist, on 2020-April-23, 01:17, said:

Rulings: looking at the traveller to decide how to adjust a score can be critical. Imagine that a round ends while there are three cards left to play, and the players are whisked on to the next table. BBO assigns 50% to each pair for the board, but declarer has already failed by a minimum of two tricks, and may have gone three off. Often both scores are well below 50%, and fetch the same matchpoint percentage. In that case it is clear to adjust the score and how. As far as I know, there is no quick way for the TD to see a traveller, which clarifies this in seconds.

As TD, (for past boards, I click to the last card played and) use GIB to determine the result. I assume the player will make their best play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users