• You cannot reply to this topic

Adjusting maximum number

#1 User is offline   D_H_D 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-12, 02:03

Happy Easter!

Two related questions please:

1. In the entries section of Create Tournament, the first option reads "Maximum n ..." on my screen. Presumably maximum number. But is this players, pairs or tables?

2. Can I adjust this number right up to the start of the tournament, even if people have registered to play?

I'm trying to avoid a tournament (using an include list) starting with sitouts. It occurred to me that I can tell everyone to register by 10 minutes before the scheduled start. Then, if I had 11 1/2 tables, I could set the maximum to 11 tables and let BBO exclude one of the pairs automatically. Would this work?

Many thanks
David

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-12, 04:57

View PostD_H_D, on 2020-April-12, 02:03, said:

Happy Easter!

Two related questions please:

1. In the entries section of Create Tournament, the first option reads "Maximum n ..." on my screen. Presumably maximum number. But is this players, pairs or tables?

It is entries.

So for an individual tournament it is the number of individuals and for a pairs tournament it is the number of pairs.

View PostD_H_D, on 2020-April-12, 02:03, said:

2. Can I adjust this number right up to the start of the tournament, even if people have registered to play?

I'm trying to avoid a tournament (using an include list) starting with sitouts. It occurred to me that I can tell everyone to register by 10 minutes before the scheduled start. Then, if I had 11 1/2 tables, I could set the maximum to 11 tables and let BBO exclude one of the pairs automatically. Would this work?

You can certainly adjust it upwards (to the limit that BBO has established for free tournaments), I've never tried down.

Personally, given the vagaries of the Internet and customer satisfaction, I think it is dangerous to take this approach.

I was running a tournament for 12 tables yesterday and 24 pairs were registered. However I ended up with precisely 11 tables because one player did not log in for the start of the tournament and another player lost their internet connection just prior to the start. It would have been better if this had happened to just one pair as I could then substitute the second pair back in for the Sitouts, but losing two pairs meant that I lost a table and there was no way back for them.

Basically you can never be sure of how many tables will start until the tournament starts.

There is the ability to unregister pairs who are not online when there is one minute to start; this seems pretty unfriendly to me.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   D_H_D 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-12, 05:08

[quote name='paulg' timestamp='1586689076' post='993669']

Thanks.

At the moment, I have a pair on standby that I can invite in to take the place of sitouts. They don't get to play if the tournament starts with all tables full. But not everyone is volunteering to be on standby, so I was looking for another way to share out the pain fairly.

If people lose connection just as the tournaments starts, I was planning to invite them back to replace the sitouts if that left me with a half table.

I suppose an additional weapon in the armoury is to start the tournament a few minutes before the start time.

Everybody will know what to expect.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users