• You cannot reply to this topic

Third seat preempt

#21 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-January-06, 04:58

Tramticket, on 2020-January-06, 03:13, said:

opening bids don't guarantee suit quality, but over-calls do suggest a good quality suit.

Interesting you should say that, because I have seen expert players advocating overcalling at the one level on all sorts of rubbish, like Jxxxx.

#22 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-06, 05:25

AL78, on 2020-January-06, 04:58, said:

Interesting you should say that, because I have seen expert players advocating overcalling at the one level on all sorts of rubbish, like Jxxxx.

Over-calling is very different from opening the bidding and your objectives can be different. I'm not saying that I wouldn't over-call on JXXXX - but I would need a good reason to over-call on that suit.

I will take an over-call as a good reason to lead a suit. If there were a more attractive lead, I might not lead the suit that partner opened.

#23 User is offline   ruleof15 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-06, 13:35

AL78, on 2020-January-04, 12:17, said:

Third seat preempts can be fast and loose (i.e. undisciplined), here is an example where it went horribly wrong:

Not a success. We got it three off but we have a cold game in either major which five out of eight pairs found. 31%.

#24 User is offline   ruleof15 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-06, 13:45

The suggestions of not preempting when holding a 4+card major or a void was not drawn from a hat. It is a percentage recommendation. Bridge is a percentage game. When you go against the percentages, take what you get. As my name implies, i open only hands meeting the Rule of 15. If you have never seen this system work, please don't remark. Had south opened, there wold be no discussion. You are welcome to watch how it works as a kib or partner.

#25 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-07, 02:20

Tramticket, on 2020-January-06, 03:13, said:

The hand is far from perfect and we would prefer to have our points in our long suits. But KTXXX is not the worst suit you will have opened and the 5431 shape is attractive. You have two tens to bolster your seven-loser 10-count and the suit order makes for a comfortable rebid. If you don't open now you may be faced with a difficult problem later - opening bids don't guarantee suit quality, but over-calls do suggest a good quality suit.

I don't play a big club, but I do play Acol which has a long tradition of light openings. I would expect to be in good company opening the South hand.

EDIT: I started a poll on Bridgewinners: Bridge Winners Poll

I seem to hold a minority view and Miamjid was more in tune with Bridgewinners responders at least.

#26 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-January-07, 02:53

Few quick comments here:

1. The decision whether or not to open in first seat is a matter of personal preference and system. Either passing or opening could work, but you and your partner should be on the same page

2. I think that the same holds true in third seat. I have played in partnerships where this would be passed, where this would get opened 1, and where this would get opened 2

3. You seem concerned that you didn't find game (which is fine). You might also wonder why the opponents aren't playing in 4X

Playing my preferred methods, I suspect that the auction would go

1 - (P) - 4

where 1 is a transfer opening showing 4+ Spades and ~8 - 14 HCP and
4 say "this should be interesting, but I'm not up for exploring slam"
Alderaan delenda est

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-07, 08:49

Tramticket, on 2020-January-07, 02:20, said:

I seem to hold a minority view and Miamjid was more in tune with Bridgewinners responders at least.

It's borderline to me, although I gave a sympathy vote ;) Make the 6 of spades a 9 and I would open it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users