BBO Discussion Forums: Weird squeeze position - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird squeeze position

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,601
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-December-14, 14:46

This is a contract I suspect you aren't going to make unless it's doubled. I played in 3, we lost a bunch because team mates doubled 4 and it made, I don't know the auction at their table.



Follow the play through and observe the odd squeeze N is subjected to if S leads a club and W ruffs with the K, it's a kind of red suit ruffing squeeze with the added wrinkle that underruffing is also fatal. In practice with nothing to guide me and only in 3 I ruffed with the J and was overruffed so only emerged with 9 tricks.
4

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 972
  • Joined: 2012-October-26
  • Gender:Female

Posted 2019-December-15, 05:17

That's a nice squeeze. I think - please correct me if I'm wrong - it's a variant of a cross ruffing squeeze with trumps outstanding.

Triple cross ruffing squeeze, anyone? :)
0

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,601
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-December-15, 05:36

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-December-15, 05:17, said:

That's a nice squeeze. I think - please correct me if I'm wrong - it's a variant of a cross ruffing squeeze with trumps outstanding.

Triple cross ruffing squeeze, anyone? :)


It's not really a ruffing squeeze involving both reds in that what it really does is prevents a heart discard or you ruff them out, a diamond discard more allows you to cross ruff the hand because W has to follow to the 4th heart.

It's just an odd position.
0

#4 User is online   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,760
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2019-December-15, 07:03

What was the auction at your table?
Did South get to mention her clubs?
0

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,601
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-December-15, 08:31

View Postpescetom, on 2019-December-15, 07:03, said:

What was the auction at your table?
Did South get to mention her clubs?


2-P-3 and nobody bid but they led J anyway, 2 could have been 4 of them and a zero count.
0

#6 User is offline   dsLawsd 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: 2017-September-15

Posted 2019-December-15, 14:01

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-December-15, 05:17, said:

That's a nice squeeze. I think - please correct me if I'm wrong - it's a variant of a cross ruffing squeeze with trumps outstanding.

Triple cross ruffing squeeze, anyone? :)


It seems related to a Backwash Squeeze too- quite interesting and reinforces the idea Not to double and give away too much info. +100 or _50 are about the same without a huge trump stack. But it would be informative if we had the actual auction.

DAVE
###$
0

#7 User is offline   keen12 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2016-July-14

Posted 2019-December-16, 15:04

why can I not re- play the whole hand. It stops at 2-2
0

#8 User is offline   keen12 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 2016-July-14

Posted 2019-December-16, 15:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-December-14, 14:46, said:

This is a contract I suspect you aren't going to make unless it's doubled. I played in 3, we lost a bunch because team mates doubled 4 and it made, I don't know the auction at their table.



Follow the play through and observe the odd squeeze N is subjected to if S leads a club and W ruffs with the K, it's a kind of red suit ruffing squeeze with the added wrinkle that underruffing is also fatal. In practice with nothing to guide me and only in 3 I ruffed with the J and was overruffed so only emerged with 9 tricks.






It won't allow me to replay the whole hand.
0

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,601
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-December-16, 15:37

View Postkeen12, on 2019-December-16, 15:07, said:

It won't allow me to replay the whole hand.


Because I stopped it at the critical point, from that point, S plays a top club and W ruffs with the K, just look at what this does to N. Apparently it won't allow you to put part of a trick into diagrams
0

#10 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-December-16, 18:44

Cyberyeti 'This is a contract I suspect you aren't going to make unless it's doubled. I played in 3, we lost a bunch because team mates doubled 4 and it made, I don't know the auction at their table. Follow the play through and observe the odd squeeze N is subjected to if S leads a club and W ruffs with the K, it's a kind of red suit ruffing squeeze with the added wrinkle that underruffing is also fatal. In practice with nothing to guide me and only in 3 I ruffed with the J and was overruffed so only emerged with 9 tricks.'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As dsLawsd points out, CyberYeti's board is a variant of the
beautiful backwash squeeze
On the left, a simplified version, with South declarer.
Defenders start with 3 rounds of s.
GIB verifies that, to succeed, declarer must ruff with A.

0

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,366
  • Joined: 2013-August-03
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Variable private
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-December-17, 00:03

Sir it is a backwash squeeze.I had posted a similar looking deal where an opponent got squeezed in three suits one of which was the trump suit itself.Therein it was a three card ending.
0

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,601
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-December-17, 04:16

View Postnige1, on 2019-December-16, 18:44, said:

Cyberyeti 'This is a contract I suspect you aren't going to make unless it's doubled. I played in 3, we lost a bunch because team mates doubled 4 and it made, I don't know the auction at their table.Follow the play through and observe the odd squeeze N is subjected to if S leads a club and W ruffs with the K, it's a kind of red suit ruffing squeeze with the added wrinkle that underruffing is also fatal. In practice with nothing to guide me and only in 3 I ruffed with the J and was overruffed so only emerged with 9 tricks.'
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As dsLawsd points out, this seems to be
a beautiful backwash squeeze, CyberYeti.
On the left, simplified version, with South declarer.
Defenders start with 3 rounds of s.
GIB verifies that, to succeed, declarer must ruff with A.



Mine is slightly different in that you can apparently succeed by discarding on the third club due to the 98 not being with the Q, but yes this is the form if you ruff high
0

#13 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,090
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-December-26, 15:14

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-December-17, 00:03, said:

Sir it is a backwash squeeze.I had posted a similar looking deal where an opponent got squeezed in three suits one of which was the trump suit itself.Therein it was a three card ending.


AFAIR, Géza Ottlik discovered the backwash squeeze

Something like this?
With s trump. South ruffs his 2 with North's K?

0

#14 User is offline   Lovera 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,526
  • Joined: 2014-January-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bari (ITALIA)
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-November-09, 11:13

View Postnige1, on 2019-December-26, 15:14, said:


AFAIR, Géza Ottlik discovered the backwash squeeze

Something like this?
With s trump. South ruffs his 2 with North's K?



This one is already known as Seres squeeze (by Tim Seres) where two menaces are in unfavoureble position(=1sf, 1sf or controlled in the lower hand) with an high trump (in both hands) and also the trump is squeezed!(Lovera)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users