• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-11, 13:27

Note how cleverly GUBBO avoided diamonds

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-11, 14:35

look at the idiotic description of the first x apparently (I might be misreading it) west has at least 5454 distribution. Reminds me of a good joke where aliens decide there is no intelligent life here when their secret visit to a bridge club shows no ability to count to 13.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 14:57

Your dbl was quite pushy ...
But anyway, it seems GIB East has bad options, because:
  • for some reason your double is 11 HCP, 12 total points exactly, which seems weird. On my older PC version it's 11- HCP, 10-12 total points which is probably more realistic.
  • Range for 2D by East is 3+D 11- total points, but for 3D is 12+HCP, 13-16 total points and forcing to 3nt. Neither of which makes much sense and leaves this hand in a gap. Since you are passed hand, 13- is probably right for 2d, and maybe 14-15 NF for 3d?
  • After having passed for penatly, can't bid 3d over 2H either, because capped at 4-9 total points. Plus the dbl of 2H is vaguely defined and maybe it thinks they are down since playing you for more for the double.

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 15:28

View Postgszes, on 2018-June-11, 14:35, said:

look at the idiotic description of the first x apparently (I might be misreading it) west has at least 5454 distribution. Reminds me of a good joke where aliens decide there is no intelligent life here when their secret visit to a bridge club shows no ability to count to 13.

You are misreading it. Read singular "+" in virgo's diagrams for GIB's descriptions as spaces not plus. For some reason virgo has his settings in his browser to not decode URLs (or maybe not encode?) when copy/pasting into the forum, so it is encoding spaces as "+". He should probably experiment with the browser.urlbar.decodeURLsOnCopy setting if he is using firefox, mine is set to false.When I paste from my hand diagrams to post in the forum, the spaces gets encoded as %20, ascii 0x20 = space character, which then makes the diagram read correctly.

So it's 5-clubs, 4+d, 5-H, 4+spades.But it does have the weirdness of 11 HCP and 12 total points exactly.

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 19:49

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-11, 15:28, said:

You are misreading it. Read singular "+" in virgo's diagrams for GIB's descriptions as spaces not plus. For some reason virgo has his settings in his browser to not decode URLs (or maybe not encode?) when copy/pasting into the forum, so it is encoding spaces as "+". He should probably experiment with the browser.urlbar.decodeURLsOnCopy setting if he is using firefox, mine is set to false.When I paste from my hand diagrams to post in the forum, the spaces gets encoded as %20, ascii 0x20 = space character, which then makes the diagram read correctly.

So it's 5-clubs, 4+d, 5-H, 4+spades.But it does have the weirdness of 11 HCP and 12 total points exactly.

I meant to add to the original post that the "correct" bid in GUBBO's system is 2D showing 4+. It has done this often in pass out position at the 2 level. I forget the point range. I think it was 10+. 2 point risk i could live with in the fight for a partial.

vrock

ps i googled the + signs in the URL. Nothing definitive yet.

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 20:11

Which browser/version/OS are you using? In the address bar in the expanded URL are spaces displayed as spaces, plus signs, or %20? Are you copy/pasting directly from address bar into posting form on this forum in same browser? You seem only poster with this issue.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 22:12

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-11, 20:11, said:

Which browser/version/OS are you using? In the address bar in the expanded URL are spaces displayed as spaces, plus signs, or %20? Are you copy/pasting directly from address bar into posting form on this forum in same browser? You seem only poster with this issue.

If I recall correctly, I think we figured out a while back that it was more of a glitch with the way Money Bridge handviewer links are provided by BBO, because it worked fine for him for non-money-bridge hands.

#8 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-12, 08:03

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-June-11, 22:12, said:

If I recall correctly, I think we figured out a while back that it was more of a glitch with the way Money Bridge handviewer links are provided by BBO, because it worked fine for him for non-money-bridge hands.

sm is right. am on windows 10. firefox is up to date. i see a lot of %2 but not %20. There are no plus signs.
i go here
http://www.bridgebas.../mbactivity.php
and click on movie to get a browser page which has the URL. I don't click on LIN.

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-12, 09:36

When you open the movie in the browser:
  • Does the movie display the bids with plus signs in the bid descriptions rather than spaces between words, or normal with spaces?
  • URL also displays '+' not blank space, in address bar of browser?
Can you cut/paste an example tinyurl link, copy the movie link unexpanded (right-click, copy link location), and post it here? , And the same link visited/expanded by your browser, encased in a
(code)(/code) brackets (with square brackets), instead of hv=

#10 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-12, 10:58

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-12, 09:36, said:

When you open the movie in the browser:
  • Does the movie display the bids with plus signs in the bid descriptions rather than spaces between words, or normal with spaces?
  • URL also displays '+' not blank space, in address bar of browser?
Can you cut/paste an example tinyurl link, copy the movie link unexpanded (right-click, copy link location), and post it here? , And the same link visited/expanded by your browser, encased in a
(code)(/code) brackets (with square brackets), instead of hv=

http://www.bridgebas...93-~~M46036-8-8

[
{comments}
[/hv]

hope this helps. i removed hv= and retained the square brackets.

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-12, 11:59

I see. I guess BBO is doing something weird with the moneybridge links. Plus their handviewer script is really supposed to convert literal " " from the query string into spaces.

There is a "find and replace" extension fo firefox for text entry
https://addons.mozil...ing/?src=search
that you could use and just do a quick "replace all" of "+" with either "%20" or " " that ought to work with very minimal effort.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users