BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#20101 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-July-10, 12:28

View PostGerardo, on 2022-July-10, 09:03, said:

Moore v Harper

This needs to be resolved; but not by this SCOTUS.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20102 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-11, 06:16

NBC is still reporting this Trump-Bannon stunt as if it were legitimate. It's not. It is a stunt to make it appear as if Bannon had a legitimate reason to withhold testimony. Genuine document expert and journalist Marcy Wheeler explains it:

In a motion in limine from the government seeking to exclude Bannon's latest manufactured stunt from his trial, DOJ revealed that a surprise witness identified in a recent filing was in fact Trump's lawyer, Justin Clark, and Clark confirmed much of what I had laid out in my post.

On June 29, 2022, former President Donald Trump's attorney, who sent the letter on which the Defendant claimed his noncompliance was based, confirmed what his correspondence has already established: that the former President never invoked executive privilege over any particular information or materials; that the former President's counsel never asked or was asked to attend the Defendant's deposition before the Select Committee; that the Defendant's attorney misrepresented to the Committee what the former President's counsel had told the Defendant's attorney; and that the former President's counsel made clear to the Defendant's attorney that the letter provided no basis for total noncompliance.3 Even the Defendant's claim that the reason he is now willing to testify is because the former President is "waiving" executive privilege is subject to question given all of the evidence and law that has been addressed in this case, of which he must be aware, demonstrating that executive privilege never provided a basis for total noncompliance in the first place.

3 The Government provided an FBI report of the interview in which the attorney made these statements to the Defendant on June 30, 2022, the day after the interview was conducted. [my emphasis]

In other words, Justin Clark has testified (and may, at Bannon's trial) that what Trump has gotten a bunch of credulous journalists reporting as fact is a lie.

Trump's own attorney says Trump is lying (and by association, the journalists got badly duped).

[my emphasis]
The media is being duped and they continue to play Trump's game.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20103 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-11, 07:16

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-July-10, 08:26, said:

In the first four years after leaving the presidency, how many times do you recall the names of ex-presidents making headlines? Every time the name Trump is placed in a headline it is a shot-in-the-arm for Republicans. It's free advertising for the grifter and the party he still leads.

I'm a little unclear on what "work" you think the Democrats can and should be doing. Without eliminating the filibuster or having a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, the big plans cannot happen. All that's left is executive orders and blather. Trump was, and still is, an expert at making blather appear to be concrete action; yes, it is effective; yes, it would be great if the Democrats could find a candidate who could compete or even outcompete that oratory, not with bombast, but with delivery of the message, I am here, I am doing something, even when unable to do something.

One thing I think you miss is the nature of the enemy-I hate to say it, but these people have become the enemy of choice, and I really don't think you appreciate how much influence nationally they are providing. This is why we should not give free advertising to them, or their leader, Trump.

[/center]
Maybe you are right and I am wrong. But I remember the "silent majority" and "Democrats for Reagan" too well to think rationality wins elections. Elections are a popularity contest, and framing and exposure have much to do with who gets stuck in the minds of voters.

I'll just clarify what I meant by the work that the Dems need to be doing. They need to do some straight thinking about why they do not have a clear majority in the Senate and in the House, and this thinking absolutely must focus on what they, the Dems, are doing wrong. It's easy, way too easy, to explain defeat by citing the stupidity of the voters or the incompetence of the media or by a dozen other things. You mentioned Reagan. Let's take him as an example, and then Clinton. In 1980, Reagan defeated Carter as Carter ran for re-election. In 1992, Clinton defeated GHW Bush as Bush ran for re-election. This change was not because voters got a brain transplant during the12 intervening years. The media was pretty much the same in 1992 as it was in 1980. And so?
Reagan was a good candidate and he ran a good campaign. Clinton was a good candidate and he ran a good campaign. Issues that were important to voters were addressed. Looking at 2016, how could Trump win? Hillary Clinton was not that great a candidate and she ran a very poor campaign. Of course she could, and did, explain that she did everything right and it was all just really unfair. OK, but the bottom line is that she lost, and I am suggesting Dems need to think about why she lost. And that thought needs to center on reasons that they can do something about. Whining about the media might make them feel satisfied, but to win they need to look at mistakes that they themselves have made and try to do better.

I think that the Dems have not been doing a very good job with thinking through why they lose races that they should win. Explanations that are based on it being someone else's fault should be put aside.
Ken

#20104 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-11, 08:40

View Postkenberg, on 2022-July-11, 07:16, said:

I'll just clarify what I meant by the work that the Dems need to be doing. They need to do some straight thinking about why they do not have a clear majority in the Senate and in the House, and this thinking absolutely must focus on what they, the Dems, are doing wrong. It's easy, way too easy, to explain defeat by citing the stupidity of the voters or the incompetence of the media or by a dozen other things. You mentioned Reagan. Let's take him as an example, and then Clinton. In 1980, Reagan defeated Carter as Carter ran for re-election. In 1992, Clinton defeated GHW Bush as Bush ran for re-election. This change was not because voters got a brain transplant during the12 intervening years. The media was pretty much the same in 1992 as it was in 1980. And so?
Reagan was a good candidate and he ran a good campaign. Clinton was a good candidate and he ran a good campaign. Issues that were important to voters were addressed. Looking at 2016, how could Trump win? Hillary Clinton was not that great a candidate and she ran a very poor campaign. Of course she could, and did, explain that she did everything right and it was all just really unfair. OK, but the bottom line is that she lost, and I am suggesting Dems need to think about why she lost. And that thought needs to center on reasons that they can do something about. Whining about the media might make them feel satisfied, but to win they need to look at mistakes that they themselves have made and try to do better.

I think that the Dems have not been doing a very good job with thinking through why they lose races that they should win. Explanations that are based on it being someone else's fault should be put aside.

I think maybe you misunderstand my position or else I have stated it poorly.

These are two separate issues. I agree with you about the lameness of the Democratic Party's messaging. Campaigning is critical.

Journalism sucks: That is not related to politics. It is related to journalism. It is not hard to find basic facts about some things, like reading documents provided by the courts before reporting rumors. Here is an explanation of why that sucks:
https://www.politico...rk-fbi-00045073

#20105 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-11, 09:16

View Postkenberg, on 2022-July-11, 07:16, said:

They need to do some straight thinking about why they do not have a clear majority in the Senate and in the House, and this thinking absolutely must focus on what they, the Dems, are doing wrong.

This is made very difficult by structural issues. The fact is, the Democrats win the majority of votes nationwide quite consistently -- for example, they have won more votes than the Republicans in seven of the last eight presidential elections (the lone exception being 2004 when Bush was riding the wave of post-9/11 patriotism). When we poll the population as a whole (instead of just "likely voters") Democrats do even better, and when we poll policy positions Democrats do even better still. The Democrats won in 2020 by most measures (they won the presidency with 7 million-plus more votes than their opponent, and won majorities in both houses of the legislature). It's a strange time to be telling them that their strategy needs rethinking and they better focus on what they're doing wrong!

The issue is that the United States is not really democratic, in the sense that not every person's vote counts the same. Voters in some regions have substantially more political power than others, and this is even more significant in Congress and state legislatures (due to gerrymandering) than it is at the presidential level. And of course, Supreme Court justices are not elected at all, with the last three being appointed by a president who lost the popular vote and confirmed by senators who represented less than half the country.

Of course, Democrats could presumably change their policies and/or their campaign strategy to better accommodate this reality. But this means disappointing their current supporters who represent quite a bit more than half the country. It's hard to decide to cede ground to guns and racism when the advocates of these things represent a shrinking minority (and their opponents a growing majority), even if this is the way to win elections.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#20106 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-11, 10:31

View Postawm, on 2022-July-11, 09:16, said:

This is made very difficult by structural issues. The fact is, the Democrats win the majority of votes nationwide quite consistently -- for example, they have won more votes than the Republicans in seven of the last eight presidential elections (the lone exception being 2004 when Bush was riding the wave of post-9/11 patriotism). When we poll the population as a whole (instead of just "likely voters") Democrats do even better, and when we poll policy positions Democrats do even better still. The Democrats won in 2020 by most measures (they won the presidency with 7 million-plus more votes than their opponent, and won majorities in both houses of the legislature). It's a strange time to be telling them that their strategy needs rethinking and they better focus on what they're doing wrong!

The issue is that the United States is not really democratic, in the sense that not every person's vote counts the same. Voters in some regions have substantially more political power than others, and this is even more significant in Congress and state legislatures (due to gerrymandering) than it is at the presidential level. And of course, Supreme Court justices are not elected at all, with the last three being appointed by a president who lost the popular vote and confirmed by senators who represented less than half the country.

Of course, Democrats could presumably change their policies and/or their campaign strategy to better accommodate this reality. But this means disappointing their current supporters who represent quite a bit more than half the country. It's hard to decide to cede ground to guns and racism when the advocates of these things represent a shrinking minority (and their opponents a growing majority), even if this is the way to win elections.

The twin but competing traits a candidate needs are to be likable and forceful. Democrats need better candidates. Although the systemic issues are probably too great to overcome, at least Democrats could look and sound good while losing.

#20107 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-11, 11:27

Now would be a good time for Dems to work in good faith with Joe Manchin on stuff they can pass like cutting drug costs for seniors, improving the financial health of Medicare, closing a tax loophole that benefits the wealthy and reducing methane leaks. Could happen: https://www.washingt...-spending-deal/
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#20108 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2022-July-11, 12:28

This assumes that Joe Manchin will work in good faith with the Democrats. Or knows how to.

Of course, it also assumes that the Democrats know how to understand English when it is spoken by anyone. Or can recognize the second (thousandth) time someone tries to pull the wool over their eyes.

Seriously, I can't tell if they're terminally naïve, literally incapable of learning from experience, or just assuming the public is. Or, literally don't care as long as their life isn't affected, I guess.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20109 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-July-11, 16:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-July-09, 12:07, said:

There is no Executive Privilege for Steve Bannon. That is the story.

You don’t even have to put Trump’s name in the story to tell the story. Headline should be, “ Ex-president makes ridiculous claim about non-existent executive privilege “.

Then the story explains that EP is the current president’s to claim or waive, not the past, and it doesn’t apply to Steve Bannon anyway. You tell a factual story and educate your readers without providing free publicity to a grifter trying to take down the American electoral system

Since when does Trump care whether his claims are true or legal? He'll make the claim, and then it has to go to court to have his claim declined. This is often a successful delaying tactic, if nothing else. And in the meanwhile he can refer to this as part of the Democratic "witch hunt".

It's factually true that he tried to exert executive privilege, and he's now reversed this stance. Now if Bannon were to refuse to testify, he has less of a leg to stand on.

#20110 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-11, 17:03

View Postbarmar, on 2022-July-11, 16:39, said:

Since when does Trump care whether his claims are true or legal? He'll make the claim, and then it has to go to court to have his claim declined. This is often a successful delaying tactic, if nothing else. And in the meanwhile he can refer to this as part of the Democratic "witch hunt".

It's factually true that he tried to exert executive privilege, and he's now reversed this stance. Now if Bannon were to refuse to testify, he has less of a leg to stand on.

No! It is not true. Trump’s own attorney said in a court filing it wasn’t true.
The only reason to try this scam was to make Bannon “appear” as if he had cause to duck the subpoena and the media ate it up and tried to help. It was and is BS, it is closer to attempted obstruction of Justice by falsifying a claim. Trump never tried to claim EP for Bannon.

#20111 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-11, 18:21

Olivia Rubin at ABC said:

NEW: ex-AG William Barr has been subpoenaed as part of the ongoing 2020 election defamation suit against Fox News brought by Dominion

It's the latest sign that the company's suits against those who pushed false claims of fraud may be gathering steam

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=86607488

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#20112 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-12, 07:39

It's an embarrassment that it takes an Opinion writer to document accurately the Trump/Bannon scam on America that the stenography corps wrote as genuine.

https://www.msnbc.co...r-sham-n1297006

#20113 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-12, 07:41

View Postmycroft, on 2022-July-11, 12:28, said:

This assumes that Joe Manchin will work in good faith with the Democrats. Or knows how to.

It also assumes that Manchin really is a Democrat instead of a Republican mole.

#20114 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-12, 12:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-July-12, 07:41, said:

It also assumes that Manchin really is a Democrat instead of a Republican mole.

A DINO?
Ken

#20115 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-12, 12:30

View Postkenberg, on 2022-July-12, 12:24, said:

A DINO?

You are right. A mole would be more deeply buried in the party.

#20116 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-12, 12:33

How is whining about Manchin working for Dems?

#20117 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-12, 14:35

View Posty66, on 2022-July-12, 12:33, said:

How is whining about Manchin working for Dems?

Bitching about Manchin is a Sin enema

#20118 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-12, 15:24

https://www.theatlan...ections/670472/

#20119 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-12, 17:20

Sinema is a space cadet posing as a principled maverick. Manchin represents a state where Trump beat Biden by 38.9 percentage points. I have no idea what Schumer's problem is.

#20120 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-13, 08:25

Jonathan Bernstein at Bloomberg said:

https://www.bloomber...author_18529680

Tuesday’s hearing of the House committee investigating the assault on the US Capitol of Jan. 6, 2021 provided a stark reminder of how the boycott by all but two Republicans has set the context of the proceedings. Remember: After Speaker Nancy Pelosi vetoed Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s suggestions for Republicans to serve on the panel, McCarthy pulled all Republican participation, leaving Pelosi to name two Republican adversaries of former President Donald Trump who defied the boycott.

The hallmark of these hearings — seven this summer and one last year — has been that they’ve run smoothly. They start on time. There is no partisan sniping. No motions made and argued over. The use of taped segments — from depositions and from other evidence — has been professional and effective. The hearings even appear to end on time.

The committee has been shockingly effective at teasing each session in advance without giving away the bulk of their story. There’s even a ritual at the end in which Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the senior of the two Republicans, previews the next hearing and drops a bombshell, supplying the media with a sidebar story and keeping everyone’s interest up to the last moment. This Tuesday’s Cheney surprise was the revelation that Trump tried (unsuccessfully) to contact a committee witness.

It’s not unusual for a lot of what happens in congressional hearings to be scripted; indeed, it’s pretty normal. But even when partisanship is minimized and members are cooperative (and yes, even in these days of partisan polarization, there’s plenty of cooperation), representatives almost always read off their own individual scripts, with no more than halting coordination even within the parties. For a hearing to be centrally scripted … that’s highly unusual.

Some of this would have been possible had there been additional, dissenting Republicans on the committee. But it would have been a lot harder. Even if the other Republicans had been pro-democracy and acted in good faith — unlikely, but let’s suppose — they probably would have appealed to the impulse of many journalists to hold both parties responsible for any disputes that break out. More likely, they would have deliberately provoked fights to make the story about committee squabbling, rather than the evidence presented. They also could have selectively leaked things from the depositions to take the steam out of the hearings. But even just adding minority member time would have broken up the force and the effectiveness of the presentations.

To be sure, it would also have given critics a chance to expose weak points in the committee’s argument. Tuesday’s session demonstrated how. The topic was actions taken by Trump after losing the 2020 election, from mid-December up to Jan. 6, with the committee trying to pin the eventual violence on Trump himself.

If the committee’s goal was simply to prove that Trump was aware of the potential for violence, including violence by organized militia-like groups, and even encouraged it, it was successful. However, I thought it was less successful at tying Trump directly to those groups. Overlap between the extended Trump camp and the extremist groups was exposed — Trump confidant Roger Stone, in particular, was involved with both — but a few skeptics on the committee could have pushed the majority harder about whether there was more to Trump’s involvement than simply inspiring anyone who was willing to follow him to commit mayhem.

I don’t mean to minimize what the committee did demonstrate, which was certainly more than enough to produce a legitimate impeachment and conviction if Trump was still president, and may now be enough for indictment and conviction. And the committee has said that it hasn’t yet revealed all the evidence it has gathered. But the feel of the hearing would have been different had there been someone present to poke holes at the conclusions drawn by the current members. Different, but perhaps not weaker; after all, one defense Trump can now trot out on the political stage is that no one is standing up for him in the committee, which is true even if the bulk of what is being presented is irrefutable.

One thing that is clear after eight hearings: Pelosi was correct to veto the Republican attempt to add committee members who were deeply involved in Trump’s plotting. But that still left McCarthy with plenty of options, including strong Trump supporters who didn’t get involved in planning to overturn the election and, in doing so, to overthrow the legitimate US government.

Because if there’s one thing that’s been obvious starting on Election Day 2020 and is even more obvious now that we’ve seen hours of evidence, not to mention 18 months of Trump's public behavior, that overthrowing the government is exactly what Trump and his allies were attempting to do. Unfortunately, it seems that there are only two Republicans in the entire House of Representatives willing to side with democracy and against the former president. But they’ve made the committee a lot more effective.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

87 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 87 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google