BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#3981 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-31, 08:37

Regarding school choice experiment there is at least some evidence, not proof, but evidence that it provides significant value.

See Corey DeAngelis and Patrick Wolf study, see St. Marcus Lutheran school in Milwaukee.

At the very least it seems there is enough evidence to continue experiments and see the results. If the experiments are a failure, fair enough destroy the program and continue to try out other ideas. As always I tend to trust results of experiments that come out with results that were not expected. Winston and others caution about bias is good advice.

#3982 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-December-31, 09:07

ldrews, on 2016-December-30, 21:47, said:

No service provider (teachers, teachers' unions) likes competition so there would be howls and gnashing of teeth. But external competition is about the only thing that causes calcified institutions to change.

There's no hope of improving K-12 education until the teachers' union is broken. There are far too many underperforming teachers who can't be fired.

#3983 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-31, 09:54

jogs, on 2016-December-31, 09:07, said:

There's no hope of improving K-12 education until the teachers' union is broken. There are far too many underperforming teachers who can't be fired.

Do you support a similar breakup of police and firefighter unions?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3984 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 10:02

Today in San Francisco the mayor has weaken the power of the police union.

#3985 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-December-31, 11:31

jogs, on 2016-December-31, 10:02, said:

Today in San Francisco the mayor has weaken the power of the police union.

The question is not what has happened in a local area but do you think all public unions should be treated equally, i.e., the same as the teacher's union? Do you also think private unions have the same problems?

In other words, I am simply asking if there is a consistency to your ideas.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3986 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-December-31, 12:12

jogs, on 2016-December-31, 09:07, said:

Firing bad teachers won't help unless there are good replacements. Although everyone claims to want good teachers, one can tell by the salary structures that many people don't consider the teaching profession to be valuable or important.

Years ago I moved to Atlanta to help the company I worked for set up an additional IT department. For programmers, we tested candidates for the aptitude and trained the hires internally. The most successful of these (by far) were teachers who left to retrain for another profession. We paid them considerably more as trainees than they were earning as experienced teachers. Although the company gained, the kids lost.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3987 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:08

Winstonm, on 2016-December-31, 11:31, said:

The question is not what has happened in a local area but do you think all public unions should be treated equally, i.e., the same as the teacher's union? Do you also think private unions have the same problems?

In other words, I am simply asking if there is a consistency to your ideas.

Why should every union be treated equally? Why should there be public unions?

#3988 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:20

PassedOut, on 2016-December-31, 12:12, said:

Firing bad teachers won't help unless there are good replacements. Although everyone claims to want good teachers, one can tell by the salary structures that many people don't consider the teaching profession to be valuable or important.

Years ago I moved to Atlanta to help the company I worked for set up an additional IT department. For programmers, we tested candidates for the aptitude and trained the hires internally. The most successful of these (by far) were teachers who left to retrain for another profession. We paid them considerably more as trainees than they were earning as experienced teachers. Although the company gained, the kids lost.

There needs to be a more flexible solution. Many experts from various fields are probably willing to teach for one year. But the teachers' union would require them to have a teacher's certificate. Require the experts to use an approved lesson plan.

What about unmotivated C and D students? Do all blue collar workers really need 12 years of schooling? There needs to be more trade schools. Try to remodel your house. There needs to be more electricians, plumbers, carpenters, painters, and etc.

#3989 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:34

kenberg, on 2016-December-26, 21:35, said:

We expect people to have basic knowledge of driving regulations before we issue him a license, we regulate the purchase of poisons, and so on. So I think this is reasonable

This logic leads to the conclusion that it is reasonable for the government to regulate any aspect of our lives, including all of them. I disagree. Rand said that government has three legitimate functions: To provide for the objective use of retaliatory force against citizens who initiate force against other citizens (the police), to provide for the objective use of retaliatory force against citizens of other nations, or other nations themselves, who initiate force against our citizens (the military), and to provide for the objective arbitration of disputes (the civil court system). Not sure I entirely agree with that either, but If I had to err one way or the other, I'd rather go with Rand.

Note "retaliatory force". This is important. If someone initiates force against someone else, that someone else is well within his rights to respond immediately with whatever force is necessary (and generally no more) to stop the initiator. What he can't do is, for example, run away, and then come back later and initiate force himself against the person who attacked him.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3990 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:35

jogs, on 2016-December-31, 13:08, said:

Why should every union be treated equally? Why should there be public unions?

The US government is often in a position of a monopsony.

If anything, employees have a greater requirement for the protections offer by a union.
Alderaan delenda est

#3991 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:42

blackshoe, on 2016-December-31, 13:34, said:

Note "retaliatory force". This is important. If someone initiates force against someone else, that someone else is well within his rights to respond immediately with whatever force is necessary (and generally no more) to stop the initiator.

Unless, of course, the use of force involves a Rand protagonist raping whom ever he feels like...

Then, of course, that "someone else" is expected to fall madly in love with the rapist.
Alderaan delenda est

#3992 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-31, 13:53

jogs, on 2016-December-31, 13:20, said:

There needs to be a more flexible solution. Many experts from various fields are probably willing to teach for one year. But the teachers' union would require them to have a teacher's certificate. Require the experts to use an approved lesson plan.

I'm an expert in my field.

I could take a year off and teach at a variety of charter schools in the greater Boston area without any need for a teacher's certificate.
However, doing so would cut my salary by 75%... (Its a lot worse if you factor in bonuses, Restricted Stock Units and the like)

Also, there is the whole issue that being an expert in a field doesn't mean that I'm well qualified to teach in that field.
In particular, the skills necessary to teach high school students and younger are VERY different that the skills necessary to practice.

Once you hit college, there starts to be some relationship between what you're teaching and what you actually do, however, even here there are very very big difference.

FWIW, I am considering quitting the rat race in roughly five years and going back to teaching college.

I'd like to set up a Master's Degree program that will focus on the relationship between applied math and TCP/IP networking. For example:

• Here's how queuing theory gets used when you build a router
  • Here's how SDE's influence TCP flow control
  • Here's how predictive models are used for capacity planning
  • Here's how graph theory gets used for routing

However, I need to sock aside a wee bit more money before I am ready to retire (plus get enough $$$ to hire four or so tenured profs)
Alderaan delenda est

#3993 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-December-31, 14:25

tests are overrated. they serve mainly to demotivate low performing students and to make teaching them even less attractive.

Finland has the world's best education system and theyare among the least ytest obsessed countries.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3994 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 14:50

There's strong evidence from education research that experienced teachers are more effective than novice teachers. The value of teaching experience is more significant than measures of IQ or subject area knowledge.

Nonetheless the vast majority of "education advocates" ignore this research and continue to believe that (for example) anyone who has worked as an engineer can teach high school math, and probably better than a teacher with a decade in the classroom (but no "real world engineering experience").

Since this is simply untrue (and many "experiments" in the charter school industry provide supporting evidence) it's interesting that the belief persists. Most likely this is due to gender bias (most teachers are female, so of course it must be an easy job that any reasonably intelligent male could do better).

We have people who've taught actual kids in actual classrooms for decades. We have people who've spent careers examining educational practices in different cities and producing peer reviewed research about what works. So why is "education" inevitably being reformed by successful business people and/or political appointees who have none of this experience and expertise? How about an experienced TEACHER for Secretary of Education?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3995 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 15:53

awm, on 2016-December-31, 14:50, said:

There's strong evidence from education research that experienced teachers are more effective than novice teachers. The value of teaching experience is more significant than measures of IQ or subject area knowledge.

Nonetheless the vast majority of "education advocates" ignore this research and continue to believe that (for example) anyone who has worked as an engineer can teach high school math, and probably better than a teacher with a decade in the classroom (but no "real world engineering experience").

Since this is simply untrue (and many "experiments" in the charter school industry provide supporting evidence) it's interesting that the belief persists. Most likely this is due to gender bias (most teachers are female, so of course it must be an easy job that any reasonably intelligent male could do better).

We have people who've taught actual kids in actual classrooms for decades. We have people who've spent careers examining educational practices in different cities and producing peer reviewed research about what works. So why is "education" inevitably being reformed by successful business people and/or political appointees who have none of this experience and expertise? How about an experienced TEACHER for Secretary of Education?

I suspect it depends on just how the question is framed. I had teachers in high school who did not know their subject matter. By "not know" I mean knew almost nothing. It was frustrating and I learned little if anything. Maybe you never had such teachers, but I did. How do you learn from someone who doesn't know anything? Of course s/he can recite what the book says. But I can read what the book says. If the teacher lacks an understanding of the subject, the student will get no more than this. That's what my biology teacher did, except for when he told us stories about his heroic years in the Navy. It's not enough.

Objecting to having teachers that don't know their subject matter is not the same as disrespecting teachers. I have good words to say about my Spanish teacher, my senior year civics teacher, my geometry teacher and many others. Not my biology teacher, not my engineering drawing teacher, not my wood shop teacher (as mentioned, metal shop was well taught).. I have seen more than a few cases of teachers who should take up a different profession. The fact that some teachers are quite good does not change the fact that some are quite bad.
Ken

#3996 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-01, 15:14

My Union right or wrong... It's a disservice to the competent people and the clients, be they kids or a mugging victim, to have incompetents continue to enjoy the same security as the the competent ones have earned. Possibly unions need to have sort of peer reviewed jury, to determine who needs to be encouraged, or possibly forced, to find another line of work. Teachers who are verbally abusive or punitive towards kids, and they are out there, or police whose anxiety level is so over the top that they shoot to kill a clearly unarmed person, or arrest the person who called for help rather than the offender because of assumptions, should not enjoy the same rights and protections that appropriately competent Union members have. Otoh, there needs to be some sort of protection for whistleblower type situations so it's difficult to know how things should be arranged.

#3997 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-01, 15:43

onoway, on 2017-January-01, 15:14, said:

My Union right or wrong... It's a disservice to the competent people and the clients, be they kids or a mugging victim, to have incompetents continue to enjoy the same security as the the competent ones have earned. Possibly unions need to have sort of peer reviewed jury, to determine who needs to be encouraged, or possibly forced, to find another line of work. Teachers who are verbally abusive or punitive towards kids, and they are out there, or police whose anxiety level is so over the top that they shoot to kill a clearly unarmed person, or arrest the person who called for help rather than the offender because of assumptions, should not enjoy the same rights and protections that appropriately competent Union members have. Otoh, there needs to be some sort of protection for whistleblower type situations so it's difficult to know how things should be arranged.

As with almost everything else, unions have positive values and negative values - the solution is not to dump unions but to maximize value while minimizing negatives.

#3998 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-02, 09:38

Anthony Bourdain slams ‘privileged’ liberals for ‘utter contempt’ of working class.

https://finance.yaho...-151215285.html

Bourdain understands why rural America voted for Trump.

#3999 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-January-02, 11:41

Regarding the purpose of schools, while I would agree if asked people would respond a good education is their priority, for many the highest priority is babysitting. Teachers have it tough when they deal with real hidden priorities of parents added on top of conflicting priorities from their bosses.

The Chicago teacher's union realized this power of babysitting long ago in going on strike.

#4000 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-02, 11:45

jogs, on 2017-January-02, 09:38, said:

Anthony Bourdain slams ‘privileged’ liberals for ‘utter contempt’ of working class.

https://finance.yaho...-151215285.html

Bourdain understands why rural America voted for Trump.

Your summary suggests that Bourdain engaging in precisely the same behavior that he is criticizing...
Alderaan delenda est

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

100 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 98 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. thepossum,
  3. Cyberyeti