Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splinter? 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-13, 21:33

#1. Is 3 a splinter bid in support of Hearts?
#2. What would 2 be?
#3. How would you ask for spade stopper for NT?

This was East's hand

What is best bid by east? 2,3,4,2,3 Or something else.

Thank you

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-June-13, 22:02

East has a great hand in support of hearts. To begin with he has four card support to two honors plus great intermediates. Second, he has a great HCP with 16 and then 3 more distributional points in the form of a singleton spade. Add to that, a source of tricks in diamonds. His hand is clearly game force opposite the 1 response and it gets better when the overcall comes, suggesting partners HCP are more likely to be in clubs and hearts than spades.

So we can eliminate 2 and 3 out of hand as neither of them are forcing. Four hearts would show game forcing values (which East has) but I would not choose it because it doesn't paint the picture you want your partner to see. Three spades as a splinter bid does exactly that.

Now what does 2 and 3 (and even 4) means is open to partnership agreement. Some might play 3 as a request for partner to bid 3NT with a -stopper. I play that with some partners, but most often and with most partners, 3 shows a hand something like this.

The 2 bid would be forcing, but would not even necessarily promise support, just a great hand.

--Ben--

#3 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-13, 22:07

View Postdickiegera, on 2014-June-13, 21:33, said:

#2. What would 2 be?

What is best bid by east?

#1. Yes
#2. No Trump query
#3. (see #2)

3 is an underbid. So the choices are 4 or 3. I like 3 since you may as well describe the hand on the way to game.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#4 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-14, 05:21

#2. What would 2 be?

This was East's hand

What is best bid by east? 2,3,4,2,3 Or something else.

Thank you

1. yes

2. strong hand, asking for further description, implies but does not promise support, denies requirements for a splinter (shortness and 4+ trumps)

3. 2. Although this doesn't specifically ask for a stopper, partner should show one if that is the most descriptive bid. Partner can also rebid with 5 or more, or lacking that, bid a new suit without a stop.

3 is the best bid.

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-June-14, 06:21

View Postinquiry, on 2014-June-13, 22:02, said:

East has a great hand in support of hearts. To begin with he has four card support to two honors plus great intermediates. Second, he has a great HCP with 16 and then 3 more distributional points in the form of a singleton spade. Add to that, a source of tricks in diamonds. His hand is clearly game force opposite the 1 response and it gets better when the overcall comes, suggesting partners HCP are more likely to be in clubs and hearts than spades.

So we can eliminate 2 and 3 out of hand as neither of them are forcing. Four hearts would show game forcing values (which East has) but I would not choose it because it doesn't paint the picture you want your partner to see. Three spades as a splinter bid does exactly that.

Now what does 2 and 3 (and even 4) means is open to partnership agreement. Some might play 3 as a request for partner to bid 3NT with a -stopper. I play that with some partners, but most often and with most partners, 3 shows a hand something like this.

The 2 bid would be forcing, but would not even necessarily promise support, just a great hand.

It's the first time i see jumping on this type of declaration (0/1 loser in the color of the opp overcall demonstrating strong hand). It seems to me there is possible a parallelism with Reese convention standing a color half-compact like diamond. I'm glad to see you again,bye.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-15, 03:03

#2. What would 2 be?

Thank you

I have 2 defined as an "undetermined strong hand", forcing to game. The 2 bidder probably has no support: with support you bid at the appropriate level and/or splinter, as in this hand.

Typically responder will bid NT in response to the 2 if he has a stop or otherwise continues to describe his hand.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 06:49

#2. What would 2 be?

1. Yes
2. A general game force, does not show or deny support, but denies a splinter, fit showing raises, etc.
3. 2

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-16, 06:08

1. splinter is the default meaning.
2. general force; my suggestion is to treat this the same way as you would fourth suit forcing.
3. 2 will elicit this information.
4. unless we cater to light responses, we would probably have rebid 3 without the interference; so it seems like a no-brainer to do so after the overcall when partner will often need to make another decision over 4.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users