Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantunes questions

#1 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-20, 14:04

I have a couple of questions about the Fantunes 2-level bids (If you know what Fantunes themselves play, I am interested in that; but if you play a version of their system and want to answer based on your own methods, then I am interested in that too!):

1. What does one do with very distributional hands (eg 6/5 or more) at the bottom end of the 10-13 range (According to the Wikipedia page, they will tend to upgrade these to 1 level openings when at the top of the range)? eg with KJTxx x KQJxxx x, should you open the 6 card suit at the 2 level anyway, and hope to get in the later, even though this risks never mentioning the 5 card major? If so, do the relays allow for showing the 5 card major (The version in Fantunes Revealed, which I know is not exactly what Fantunes themselves play, does not appear to have a way of showing extreme hands in the relays). Or perhaps you should show the major first, and hope to get to show the minor later if asked, as 4M is the most likely game?

2. How do you respond to a 2-level opening if you have an invitational hand but no fit in opener's suit (eg with a 4234 12 or 13 point hand opposite a 2 opening). The set of responses outlined in Fantunes Revealed allows for responder to bid 3 of opener's suit to show an invitational hand with some support, but there seems to be no way to offer a choice between 2NT and 3NT, which must surely be fairly common issue opposite a 10-13 range?

#2 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2014-March-01, 03:04

View PostEricK, on 2014-February-20, 14:04, said:

I have a couple of questions about the Fantunes 2-level bids (If you know what Fantunes themselves play, I am interested in that; but if you play a version of their system and want to answer based on your own methods, then I am interested in that too!):

1. What does one do with very distributional hands (eg 6/5 or more) at the bottom end of the 10-13 range (According to the Wikipedia page, they will tend to upgrade these to 1 level openings when at the top of the range)? eg with KJTxx x KQJxxx x, should you open the 6 card suit at the 2 level anyway, and hope to get in the later, even though this risks never mentioning the 5 card major? If so, do the relays allow for showing the 5 card major (The version in Fantunes Revealed, which I know is not exactly what Fantunes themselves play, does not appear to have a way of showing extreme hands in the relays). Or perhaps you should show the major first, and hope to get to show the minor later if asked, as 4M is the most likely game?

2. How do you respond to a 2-level opening if you have an invitational hand but no fit in opener's suit (eg with a 4234 12 or 13 point hand opposite a 2 opening). The set of responses outlined in Fantunes Revealed allows for responder to bid 3 of opener's suit to show an invitational hand with some support, but there seems to be no way to offer a choice between 2NT and 3NT, which must surely be fairly common issue opposite a 10-13 range?

Hi, your first question is more about hand evaluation than about methods. I would open your example hand 2. The relays don't cater for this hand type really, but remember that the probability that partner will relay is not THAT high if you hold a freak. Perhaps the auction will go 2 2 Pass 3 and you can bid 3. Partner is now perfectly placed.

Note that a decent 11-count and 6-5 distribution is already worth way more than a standard SAYC so it's normal to "upgrade" to 1. I don't feel that is really upgrading, it's just evaluation.

To the 2nd question: Inviting is not planned for non-fit hands. Your only choice on say Kxxx Ax Kxx QTxx is to relay and bid 3. Partner should realize this may be a preference and bid 3NT with a maximum and a 5-card suit. This is the main weakness of the system, but as always in bridge nothing is perfect!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users