BBO Discussion Forums: The Problem with Religious Moderation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Problem with Religious Moderation From Sam Harris

#281 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-14, 10:23

Vampyr, on 2013-October-14, 09:39, said:

I didn't mean "attack" as any kind of violence. I meant questions about their beliefs and eventual lack of special treatment in society.

Religious moderates do not want to be told how harmful to society their magical thinking is, so they would rather people focused on the excesses of their fanatic brethren. And in fact the fanatics make the moderates seem, to many, to be reasonable.

I have found that, in general, a lunatic fringe tends to make the relatively saner branches of a movement seem mainstream.

I didn't think you were advocating violence, but I did think terms like "line of fire" implied a hostility (not necessarily on your part) towards religious moderates. There are too many examples throughout history of a hostile attitude between two groups degenerating into violence, often when it furthers political causes. It is better to avoid the hostile attitude if possible.

For what its worth I agree that, for instance, we should not have an established church forming part of our constitution. However, there are many aspects of our constitution that I don't approve of and disestablishment would not be high on my list of priorities.

I doubt if many people want to be told their beliefs are harmful to society: it sounds like rather a PITA. In the case of religious moderates, it seems unfair to do so. I don't know exactly what people consider a religious moderate to be, but I would think that "Someone who doesn't think better or worse of other people because they agree or disagree with their own beliefs" would be a pre-requisite. To me, like (I think) you, the ideas of religious faith seem far fetched, but when society starts blaming its ills on religious moderates it is going too far. If a society has a problem with religious fundamentalists, that society probably should be more concerned with setting its own house in order than with looking for scapegoats.

#282 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-14, 11:11

c_corgi, on 2013-October-14, 10:23, said:

I didn't think you were advocating violence, but I did think terms like "line of fire" implied a hostility (not necessarily on your part) towards religious moderates. There are too many examples throughout history of a hostile attitude between two groups degenerating into violence, often when it furthers political causes. It is better to avoid the hostile attitude if possible.

I didn't mean to sound hostile to religious moderates, but I do think that their beliefs are harmful; mainly because even moderates want their religious beliefs to form part of public life, public education, etc. And often they, by their silence (as noted in this thread, but of course this thread is only words) condone horrible acts of violence by fundamentalists.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#283 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-October-14, 15:34

Fluffy, on 2013-October-14, 09:41, said:

Were there anyone else on the believers side besides the troll?, I haven't payed much attention. It seemed like the usual thing here, a hoard of of atheist trying to put down an impenetrable wall of beliefs. And the usual stuff from Mikeh.

To be honest I almost upvoted a post from mikeh quoting the troll, but anyway when you are heavily outnumbered there is little sense on wasting energies against the opposition of your opposition. and for the most part I ignore the trolls.

Sorry to be so predictable.

I readily admit to having strong convictions, and am always happy to be challenged on them. I really do like learning where I am in error, since then I have increased my understanding of the topic. However, to this day, having read everything that all the religious moderates have written, it still seems to me that all believers believe because they choose to believe and not because they have any rational basis for satisfying themselves that their core beliefs are grounded in reality.

I and others have, many times, posted arguments based on historical fact, as best as we can determine historical fact. For example, the current state of the art in terms of biblical history shows very clearly that many of the stories in the OT are adaptations of similar stories from older religions. Other stories are inconsistent with archeological evidence: there is zero evidence of the presence of any significant number of Jews in Egypt for any length of time, as one example.

Getting to the NT, the gospels appear to have been written at least 2 or 3 generations after the events said to be described. Moreover, both the gospels that ended up as the NT and those that were, hundreds of years later, rejected, contain many contradictions, and even where there is broad agreement, some of the stories can also be traced to similar stories in other, earlier, religions.

None of the religious believers who post here EVER, and I mean EVER debate these issues.

At most we get the argument that many parts of the bible are not supposed to be taken literally.

This begs the question: why should ANY if it be taken literally?

Why doesn't any moderate discuss how it is that in the Christian Church, what has happened is that from time to time it becomes impossible for any but the fanatics like the troll to maintain that a certain story, previously held to be factual is actually true. So that part becomes allegorical or metaphorical.

With the advance of fact-based knowledge, the parts of the bible that are now said, by moderates, to be true have shrunk. In no other area of human interest would we find such an incredible adaptive mechanism in play. In any other area, after formerly key aspects of doctrine are found to be incompatible with reality, the doctrine would be discarded in its entirety.

However, in religion, the belief meme is so strong, and so pervasive, that the victim has no trouble rationalizing away the pesky contradictions between evidence and the holy teachings.

To the point that the victim of the meme doesn't even appear to recognize what is going on. It would be funny if it were not for the fact that religion is a very powerful force in society and that it is all too often, nowadays and historically, used to create hatred, fear, anger, discrimination and so on. These emotions would undoubtedly still be prevalent without religion, of course: tribalism/nationalism are just as bad and, not coincidentally, often go hand in hand, hence the old saying about 'god and country'

I sometimes regret that I come across as arrogant, but on other occasions I can't help but suspect that by calling me arrogant, the critic can justify to himself or herself a refusal to engage with me on the merits of the points I make.

After all, if I am just being my usual arrogant self, why stoop to paying attention to the content of my posts? Just call me arrogant, ignore the issues, and continue feeling good about oneself.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#284 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 19:15

mikeh, on 2013-October-14, 15:34, said:

I sometimes regret that I come across as arrogant, but on other occasions I can't help but suspect that by calling me arrogant, the critic can justify to himself or herself a refusal to engage with me on the merits of the points I make.

Not sure about others, but in my case is the natural reaction to you calling ignorant whoever disagrees with you. We have had enough debates about our views anyway and mines haven't evolved much so there is little point on reproducing them.

#285 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-14, 20:06

Fluffy, on 2013-October-14, 19:15, said:

[/size]
Not sure about others, but in my case is the natural reaction to you calling ignorant whoever disagrees with you. We have had enough debates about our views anyway and mines haven't evolved much so there is little point on reproducing them.

If anyone told me that he had changed from believer to non-believer or from non-believer to to believer as a result of reading the postings on bbf I would be even more skeptical of that than I am of virgin birth. For me, dealing with religious threats of punishment in hell was a matter of emotional survival..I did it as best I could as a fourteen year old and that's that. I really can't see why anyone puts up with that sort of browbeating, but to each his own. Anyway, it's been sixty years now, I think that's long enough to say that I won't be changing my mind. I don't expect my religious friends will be changing theirs either, at least not on the basis of some wc posting of mine or of anyone.
Ken

#286 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-October-14, 22:19

billw55, on 2013-October-14, 07:28, said:

Suppose a worldwide poll was held in which every one of the 7 billion plus inhabitants was forced to participate. The question on the ballot paper is this:
HOW DO YOU BELIEVE THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT ORIGINATED?
Voters are given the following two choices –
1. It all started with a BIG BANG 14 500 000 000 years ago
2. It came about at the hands of a super-natural being
How do you believe the vote will go? You may easily end up with a situation where the number of spoilt ballot papers outnumbers 1 & 2 combined. How do you think option 1 is going to fare?

Truth is not a popularity contest. Majority vote is irrelevant. Interestingly, even if you limit yourself to surveying religious believers, you will find very large numbers of "votes" for differing propositions. For example:

1. jesus christ is the son of god and savior.
2. he is not.

Globally, you will find point 1 to be in the minority. Does this sway your opinion?

I know that the Jews reject your point 1 but don't have the detail. Can you fill me in on the detail?

#287 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-14, 23:05

How many theories are we dealing with? I know of -
1. The BIG BANG Theory
2. The Theory of Evolution

What are the others?

#288 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-October-15, 02:12

Fwiw I view religious and sceptical moderation as approximately equivalent: hopefully moderates' beliefs are not set in stone. Having said that I see Mikeh's posts as rational and hence more likely to attract replies. I must confess I do not see much point in responding to 32519's posts.

#289 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2013-October-15, 02:24

32519, on 2013-October-14, 23:05, said:

1. The BIG BANG Theory

What are the others?

If the question is

"What scientific theories have been demonstrated via continuous testing and evaluation to be the most likely explanations for the world around us, but which I will choose to disbelieve because it's easier to say "God did it" than to actually attempt to understand the science",

then I guess you'll have to tell us.

#290 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 05:42

1. The BIG BANG Theory

What are the others?

From MikeH's silence, is it safe to say that these are the only two theories that we are dealing with here?

#291 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 06:23

32519, on 2013-October-14, 22:19, said:

I know that the Jews reject your point 1 but don't have the detail. Can you fill me in on the detail?

I am neither Jewish nor do I practice Judaism. So no, I don't have the detail. I do know that in general, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus (to name just a few) do not consider Christ to be a divine savior. I don't think the details of Jews not accepting Christ is relevant to my point though.

1. The BIG BANG Theory

What are the others?

32519, on 2013-October-15, 05:42, said:

From MikeH's silence, is it safe to say that these are the only two theories that we are dealing with here?

For the sake of argument, yes, let's limit our discussion to just those two. What is your point?

One more thing. I have been very patient in answering your questions about science in some length. If this is to be considered a conversation, you must answer some of my questions as well. You can find them in blue text in posts #190 and #207 [edit: now 261 and 278, after thread merging] of this thread. I think they are simple and reasonable questions which you should have answers for. I do want to hear what you think about these things, but honestly it is hard to figure out what your points are when you skip between topics and make mostly nebulous non-statements that provide no information.

Don't be shy, I wont bite. Just tell me what you really think about what I have asked you.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#292 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-15, 06:25

Silemce often arises when further conversation seems pointless. Going over topics that have been gone over repeatedly with no change in position, no new ideas, and random hopping from subtopic to subtopic gets us nowhere.

I have mentioned that I have no expectation of changing your views. You have presented many question to us, let me ask you one. Do you accept that there is no possibility that you will be changing my views?

We simply see the world very differently. So differently that nothing you have said prompts a response from me along the lines of "Oh, that's a new view, I will have to give that some thought".

The OP referred to religious moderation. My guess, I confess it is a guess, is that religious moderates are closer to my world view than they are to yours.
Ken

#293 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-October-15, 06:52

MikeH has put 32519 on his ignore list. So he doesn't see 32519's posts anymore. That would explain his silence in response to the posts.

Or, it could just be exhaustion.

Unless I am mistaken, only Christians (and some offshoots, like Mormanism) accept Jesus as savior. All the other religions do not. And, while Christianity is a very significant religion, it is followed by a minority of the world's population.

#294 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 07:12

1. The BIG BANG Theory

What are the others?

32519, on 2013-October-15, 05:42, said:

billw55, on 2013-October-15, 06:23, said:

For the sake of argument, yes, let's limit our discussion to just those two. What is your point?

Can anyone spot the problem here? And I am not referring to the word “Theory.” That of itself is already a very thorny issue for the MikeH’s of the world. I am referring to the much bigger glaring issue at stake here?

You be the first one to answer.

#295 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 07:45

1. The BIG BANG Theory

What are the others?

32519, on 2013-October-15, 07:12, said:

Can anyone spot the problem here? And I am not referring to the word “Theory.” That of itself is already a very thorny issue for the MikeH’s of the world. I am referring to the much bigger glaring issue at stake here?

I think the problem here is that no-one else really knows what you mean by "dealing with", so cannot answer your question. If you tell us where you are trying to get to with this then we may be able to help or hinder you getting there!

#296 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 07:45

Can anyone spot the problem here? And I am not referring to the word "Theory." That of itself is already a very thorny issue for the MikeH's of the world. I am referring to the much bigger glaring issue at stake here?

I grow weary of vague hints and non-answers.

I have made several attempts to communicate with you in simple, honest, understandable statements and questions. I have received only fog in return. Therefore, with regret, I now sign off. Good luck.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#297 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 07:46

billw55, on 2013-October-15, 06:23, said:

I think Bill asked you a clear question. If you don't want to answer him, that is fine. But in that case you should simply write that you don't want to answer his question.

You could even say that you only want to ask questions and you do not intend to answer any questions.

But to answer every question with a counterquestion is simply impolite. And that doesn't have anything to do with religion or science.

Rik

P.S. The answers to your questions are: 1) No. 2) That is not a question.
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#298 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-15, 08:31

Please do not continue to pretend to misunderstand the meaning of the word "theory" in a scientific context. Do you have a problem with the theories of, for example, gravity and electromagnetism? Or the many other theories that describe reality as we know it?

I don't think that anyone knows what the big glaring issue is. Why don't you tell us?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#299 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-15, 08:48

Vampyr, on 2013-October-15, 08:31, said:

I don't think that anyone knows what the big glaring issue is. Why don't you tell us?

Or not. It's ok either way.
Ken

#300 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-15, 10:58

ArtK78, on 2013-October-15, 06:52, said:

MikeH has put 32519 on his ignore list. So he doesn't see 32519's posts anymore.

You mean there are people who have not?

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users