BBO Discussion Forums: 4S The Only Way? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

4S The Only Way?

#1 User is offline   cargobeep 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-16, 23:38

SAYC/IMPS. Do you agree with the bidding by N/S? Was 4S a good call?

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-17, 03:21

On this forum you will get plenty of support for 1. ("A clear opening" WTP etc.)
I would never consider anything but 2 at these colors.
I do not like 4. It is the type of poor bid , which at times is successful. You will rarely have a play for it. The 3 bid makes it likely that partner has length in hearts.
More likely, though still unlikely, opponents could have game in a red suit (or even 3NT) and poor ones might neglect to double you like here.
As the bidding started I would rebid 3 and then give up.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 07:10

I do not really understand the 1S opening, several tricks but not really opening values. Having opened 1S and catchng a raise I would bid game.

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 07:11

I do not really understand the 1S opening, several tricks but not really opening values. Having opened 1S and catchng a raise I would bid game. I fast sac may not hear dble.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-August-17, 19:17

I don't like 1S and I certainly disagree with 4S. Sth appears to be a mad overbidder.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-18, 17:31

View Postrhm, on 2013-August-17, 03:21, said:

On this forum you will get plenty of support for 1. ("A clear opening" WTP etc.)

If by "this forum" you mean BBF in general, possible, but I doubt that. I certainly wouldn't open it 1 and I consider my opening style quite aggressive.

If by "this forum" you mean the novice/beginner forum, then definitely not. There are some rare posters who take no note of the fact that this forum is for beginners, and I personally think they should be banned from posting here, but of the others I'm absolutely certain none would advocate a 1 opening on this hand for beginners.

South has a textbook 3 opening, but there are several good reasons to open 2 instead in this particular case, notably the vulnerability and the less than stellar suit quality. If South does open 2, then North will probably raise to 3, but there is no reason for North to be aggressive considering his holding in the heart suit. Also it must be pointed out that if South does open 2 then South should not under any circumstances raise further in later bidding rounds.

Having ill-advisedly opened 1, South now faces a guess. 4 in this case was the wrong guess.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-August-18, 19:20

No strong feelings about 1.

4 looks obvious.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-18, 23:51

When evaluating hands for suit contracts, I like to take a look at the losing trick count. Without going into a whole lesson about adjustments and exceptions and using a gross simplification, just look at your hand and imagine how each suit would play opposite 3 small cards in partners hand.

In spades, you have 10 or 11 cards in the suit, so only assign 2 losers on normal breaks, 1 loser in hearts to the A, 2 top diamonds, and 2 clubs. This total 7 losers. A typical single raise will cover 2 to 3 losers (typically 2 or 3 (AKQ) honor cards and maybe a short suit where you can ruff losers, which still leaves you with 4 or 5 losers for the entire hand. That's not to say 4 will never have a play, but it will be a long shot.

Partner is a passed hand and you are in third seat, 7 card suit, 9 HCP, both Vul, I'm opening 2.

#9 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:27

I'm opening 2 or 3 with that hand. Third seat, red vs red, probably 3.

After a 1 opening, with the bidding going the way it did, the 4 bid seems reasonable (even if it looks like the bid of someone who regretted not opening 3). It's not a bid to make; it's a bid to make it harder for opponents to figure out if 5 is good for them or not. Down 2 doubled is profitable if opps make 5 or 3N, down 1 doubled isn't too bad if opps only make 4, and opps might get confused as to who is sacrificing and not double at all. Or they may misjudge to 5 and go down.

Some beginners seem to have trouble understanding the following: Half the hands belong to the opponents. This means, half the time, the point of bidding is to mess up the opponents without sticking your neck out too far rather than to make it to a good contract of your own.

#10 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-August-19, 04:58

I would never open the South hand 2 or 3, so that leaves 1 or pass. In 3rd seat, 1 is clear-cut. The 4 rebid is way out of line though.

#11 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 05:17

Playing SAYC, I would double 4 with the West hand.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 05:27

I don't have much game interest opposite a passed hand so I would just open 2.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users