Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suit preference when obvious.

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-August-09, 20:17

Declarer, in a 4-4 spade fit in 4S, wins the opening lead (a heart, which opponents have bid) and LHO discards the 2 of diamonds. Asking about carding methods, told count, or suit preference when obvious. Declarer then insists on knowing which it is.

Is declarer entitled to know? Opps give a number of examples of when it would be obvious, and state how they would give suit preference.

The director was called on this one.

#2 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 21:52

I'm confused. Normally it's declarer's LHO who makes the opening lead. And normally, a player who has bid or supported a suit doesn't show out on the first round of that suit. So what the heck is going on here?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-09, 23:04

I think you are entitled to any explicit or implicit agreements about what "obvious" means. Like if they agree that it is suit preference if the dummy has a stiff, or if one hand has no trump, or whatever. That doesn't mean they tell you "that card was suit preference" but could tell you that "It is suit preference when obvious, for instance when A or B or C is true" and have declarer be able to know that B is obviously true this time.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-10, 00:50

Haven't we been over this before? Would someone like to find the past threads about it so we don't rehash it all again?

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 07:34

What is obvious to a pair that has played together for many years is often not obvious to an opponent. On the other hand, what is obvious to one half of a pick up pair is often not to the other half. Declarer is entitled to know everything that the player's partner knew prior to picking their cards up. If the situation is similar to one that has come up before then declarer should be told this. If similar situations have come up multiple times before and the signalling method chosen was always the same then I would say that the defenders are close to trying to confuse declarer deliberately by the described explanation.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 16:19

I agree with Zelandakh.

If a partnership has discussed its discards, it will have agreed on a primary method. The opponents are entitled to know what this primary method is.

If a partnership has played a few sessions together, each partner will have a pretty good idea when the other partner considers that the primary method does not apply. Again, the opponents are entitled to know this.

The opening post is a bit unclear, but I assume that it means to refer to a discard at trick 1 or 2. If so, in a national event, I'd expect the discarder's partner to know whether the discard in this situation was suit preference or count, and declarer is entitled to a straight answer to her question.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-14, 01:35

The opponents should state what they know. That means that there are three possible answers:

1) "This is count for diamonds"
2) "This is suit preference for ..."
3) "This situation has not occured before. I honestly don't know whether this is a count or suit preference situation." To be followed by examples of what would be count and what would be suit preference.

I think that in this situation it is pretty unlikely that 3) is the correct answer.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users