A lesson for me "trust your partner"

Lead A tricks = 9

Other table:

1D 2C X P
2D 2H 2S 3H
3S 4H 4S X

tricks = 6

-18imp
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-28, 23:17

I am having nightmares about this hand.

With my negative double followed by 2, I showed a constructive hand not good enough to bid 2 directly over 2. Given that, my partner's 3 bid on two small spades is truly strange. I had quite a different picture of his hand than what came down in the dummy. Something like AJx of spades, KQxxxx of diamonds, 3-1 in the other suits or maybe a rounded suit A would have been nice.

The only way I could have shown diamond support would have been to ignore my spade suit. The opps made the auction more difficult for me. But I just don't understand the 3 bid.

Perhaps my 2 bid was too aggressive. But it didn't have to result in anything as silly as the actual result.

-1700 is embarrassing.

EDIT: My partner is of the opinion that I should never have introduced the spade suit, and that I should have bid 3 over 2. He also thought that his 3 bid was competitive, not invitational. I leave these comments to stand on their own merit, whether you choose to agree or disagree with them.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2013-July-31, 04:12

after double,I think that it was best for the west bid 2 was a non-forcing bid to show 4-6 distribution .

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-31, 07:20

lycier, on 2013-July-31, 04:12, said:

after double,I think that it was best for the west bid 2 was a non-forcing bid to show 4-6 distribution .

2 would show a much stronger hand for us.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-31, 07:28

With the North hand I would fit jump over 2C. I would prefer a stronger hand, especially since it would set up a forcing pass at this vulnerability, but it seems worth it to get the whole hand off my chest in one go. Other routes are not attractive either.

#6 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 12:32

ArtK78, on 2013-July-28, 23:17, said:

EDIT: My partner is of the opinion that I should never have introduced the spade suit, and that I should have bid 3 over 2. He also thought that his 3 bid was competitive, not invitational. I leave these comments to stand on their own merit, whether you choose to agree or disagree with them.[/size][/font]

Tough hand. I guess Versace passed in a similar spot so that's one vote for not showing the spade suit. Still, as you point out, you could have a double fit and roll 4. Partner's 3 bid is terrible.

At table one I might have redoubled with the East hand to show tolerance/values, though it is a bit light. I'd probably bid with West over 2 - 7-4 bid some more. It just seems wrong to pass out 2 with a nice 7-card club suit. And having passed the first round as East I would reopen with double - why ignore the majors?

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-31, 14:05

ArtK78, on 2013-July-28, 23:17, said:

I am having nightmares about this hand.

With my negative double followed by 2, I showed a constructive hand not good enough to bid 2 directly over 2. Given that, my partner's 3 bid on two small spades is truly strange. I had quite a different picture of his hand than what came down in the dummy. Something like AJx of spades, KQxxxx of diamonds, 3-1 in the other suits or maybe a rounded suit A would have been nice.

The only way I could have shown diamond support would have been to ignore my spade suit. The opps made the auction more difficult for me. But I just don't understand the 3 bid.

Perhaps my 2 bid was too aggressive. But it didn't have to result in anything as silly as the actual result.

-1700 is embarrassing.

EDIT: My partner is of the opinion that I should never have introduced the spade suit, and that I should have bid 3 over 2. He also thought that his 3 bid was competitive, not invitational. I leave these comments to stand on their own merit, whether you choose to agree or disagree with them.

a good discussion hand to have....do you show the spade suit or not and if so how?

I might just bid 2d over 2c but again a good discussion hand.

A question I would think about is playing NFB at unfav vul can we bid 2s here?

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-01, 08:05

3 is competitive but its a poor bid IMO.

2 shows a 6 card suit or an excellent 5 card one, this means that bidding spades again was a bad idea, bad idea if you were in the pass out seat, being on the live seat with partner still to act was a suicide, and playing him for an automatic 4 bid, pehaps the round before was lazy.

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-August-01, 10:32

Fluffy, on 2013-August-01, 08:05, said:

3 is competitive but its a poor bid IMO.

2 shows a 6 card suit or an excellent 5 card one, this means that bidding spades again was a bad idea, bad idea if you were in the pass out seat, being on the live seat with partner still to act was a suicide, and playing him for an automatic 4 bid, pehaps the round before was lazy.

I don't quite get your point.

Which bids are you criticizing? 2, 3 or 4?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users