Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exposing a problem

#1 User is offline   malafaya 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 13:36

Hi my name is malafaya and i created the nick XXX to to play free automated fun tourneys in the web version. I noticed a subtile form of cheating in this type of tourneys (i had noticed it many times before, playing with the nick malafaya): some players, as they know the tourney is clocked, when they know that likely will get a bad result, they deliberately delay the play of each card, up to the limit of being replaced by a robot, causing that the hand is not going to be finished and automatically Ave´s are assigned (after all, 50% is better than a 0...) to all players.
XXX
I´d like to make a suggestion that might solve this: instead of assigning automatically ave´s couldn´t a GIB analysis of the hand be made and assign more fair results? (I know some analysis will be inconclusive - when they largely depend on declarer/defenders play - and in such situations assignig averages can be acceptable, but in cold contracts??

Best regards

Pedro Malafaya

This post has been edited by barmar: 2013-July-08, 08:40
Reason for edit: removed sentence identifying the tournament and player

#2 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 13:39

play free automated fun tourneys

this part is important
OK
bed

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 14:52

View Postjjbrr, on 2013-July-07, 13:39, said:

play free automated fun tourneys

this part is important

Cheating takes away the fun. But this is not the place to name names.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   malafaya 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-07, 14:54

I know, but if i didnīt name one might think it was his partner.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-07, 15:24

It is against forum policy to accuse people of cheating (or any other misbehavior) in public, so I edited your post to remove the details. If you want to complain about a specific player, send email to abuse@bridgebase.com.

And please notice that we have separate areas of the forum for bridge discussion and BBO discussion. Try to post your comments in the appropriate area.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 02:32

I think you should remove the avatar name too Barry. It took about 5 seconds to find the hand being referred to and Ben has consistently stated that this is regarded in the same way as posting the name directly.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   malafaya 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-08, 08:13

View Postmalafaya, on 2013-July-07, 13:36, said:

Hi my name is malafaya and i created a nick to to play free automated fun tourneys in the web version. I noticed a subtile form of cheating in this type of tourneys (i had noticed it many times before, playing with the nick malafaya): some players, as they know the tourney is clocked, when they know that likely will get a bad result, they deliberately delay the play of each card, up to the limit of being replaced by a robot, causing that the hand is not going to be finished and automatically Aveīs are assigned (after all, 50% is better than a 0...) to all players.
XXX
Iīd like to make a suggestion that might solve this: instead of assigning automatically aveīs couldnīt a GIB analysis of the hand be made and assign more fair results? (I know some analysis will be inconclusive - when they largely depend on declarer/defenders play - and in such situations assignig averages can be acceptable, but in cold contracts??

Best regards

Pedro Malafaya

Sorry, i didnīt know that (it was my first visit to the foruns). Apologies.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users