• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another UI ruling

#1 User is offline   ypiper 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-May-02, 11:39

West broke temp for a second or two after 2, W has a slow tempo in normal circumstance.

Result: down 3, -500. 3NT would have gone -2.

1. Does E have a 3C bid?
2. If N/S are seeking a ruling for their damage, will you grant it?

Thanks

This post has been edited by barmar: 2013-May-02, 12:17
Reason for edit: added hand diagram

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-May-02, 12:20

In answer to #2, some pedantics will say that of course you have to grant a ruling, but the ruling could be "result stands". Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I hope people will answer the question she meant, not what she wrote.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-May-02, 12:26

When you say that West broke tempo for a second or two, do you mean that he took a second or two (which could be his normal, slow tempo) or it was in addition to his normal slow tempo. The strict definition of "break in tempo" is a change from your normal tempo -- it can even be faster than normal. But if this was his normal tempo, there's no UI and no restrictions on East.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-May-02, 12:57

Assume, for the sake of argument, that West made a noticeable break in tempo (meaning that the pause was longer than West's normal slow tempo). What does this suggest to East? That West has values? Certainly. That West has spades? Probably.

Given the foregoing, what action is suggested by the break in tempo? Clearly that East should not pass, and the BIT would push one more towards a double rather than bidding on if there were any real choice. Without the break in tempo, what would East have done? I don't believe that anyone would pass on the East cards. His opponents have stopped bidding at 2 with a (presumed) 8 or 9 card fit. Certainly a second double or a 3 bid seem reasonable.

The bottom line is that I don't believe that anyone would pass out 2 undoubled on the East cards, so his 3 bid does not seem out of line. West is certainly under no restrictions, so he can bid what he wants, and his 3NT bid (probably made in the belief that East had a better hand) was going to earn a very poor score until North rescued him. The score should stand. North-South have been damaged, but it was North that did the damaging, not East.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-02, 13:01

View PostArtK78, on 2013-May-02, 12:57, said:

North-South have been damaged, but it was North that did the damaging, not East.

Agree.

And, really? North was ready to pass out 2, but now will bid 4 over a freely bid 3NT? I call double shot.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-02, 13:45

View Postbillw55, on 2013-May-02, 13:01, said:

Agree.

And, really? North was ready to pass out 2, but now will bid 4 over a freely bid 3NT? I call double shot.

It seems likely to me that North bid 4S as a save. I think there's a better case for arguing that pass is a double shot - if it doesn't drift a couple off we'll get our 140 back. Obviously, double would be more of a double-shot than either pass or 4S.

#7 User is offline   ypiper 

• Pip

Posted 2013-May-02, 14:32

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-02, 12:26, said:

When you say that West broke tempo for a second or two, do you mean that he took a second or two (which could be his normal, slow tempo) or it was in addition to his normal slow tempo. The strict definition of "break in tempo" is a change from your normal tempo -- it can even be faster than normal. But if this was his normal tempo, there's no UI and no restrictions on East.

Yes partner's normal tempo is one or two seconds (slower than normal tempo). E thought regardless partner's break of tempo, she will bid on, and she chose 3C.

Thanks for editing the diagram, really appreciate it.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-02, 14:56

I think East did their duty by choosing the at risk 3 bid instead of the more flexible double knowing that pard has something, we just don't know what.

Suggesting a pass of 2 on those cards is insulting. Imo the 4 dive was a really poor gamble and not well thought out if you think about the AI from Wests tank and lack of a 2nt bid or other action initially. I'll take the last guess and call the police if I'm wrong?

I'll challenge the 3 bid if appropriate but this is more like a triple shot.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-May-02, 17:31

the UI from the break in tempo matches the AI from the auction - partner is marked with enough values to consider a call when the opps pass 2
Chris Gibson

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-02, 20:07

"The UI matches the AI" is not, in itself, sufficient to override the proscription in Law 16. Only if there is no logical alternative to the call chosen can a player with UI bid on.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-02, 23:06

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-May-02, 17:31, said:

the UI from the break in tempo matches the AI from the auction - partner is marked with enough values to consider a call when the opps pass 2

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-May-02, 20:07, said:

"The UI matches the AI" is not, in itself, sufficient to override the proscription in Law 16. Only if there is no logical alternative to the call chosen can a player with UI bid on.

Chris was referring to this hand. The UI cannot create a logical alternative where none existed. If somehow that could happen, then it was suggested by the UI and can't be chosen anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-May-03, 01:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-May-02, 20:07, said:

The UI matches the AI has won many appeals in the NABC casebooks; the precedent indicates it is a valid line of reasoning.
Chris Gibson

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-May-03, 01:34

In practice "The UI matches the AI" has to be sufficient justification for an action, because otherwise the game would be unplayable without screens or computers.

Suppose that I open 1NT on a 13-count, showing 12-14 and knowing that it shows 12-14. Partner announces it as 12-14 and raises to 2NT. I have a hand where I would normally bid 3NT, but pass is a logical alternative. I have the UI that partner is playing the same notrump range as me, and will therefore have an 11-count rather than an 8-count. This UI suggests bidding over passing. Am I therefore obliged to pass?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-03, 03:28

When "the UI matches the AI" is used it is normally shorthand for "the UI doesn't demonstrably suggest anything because it gives us no new information". But it is shorthand and therefore we need to check that the longhand actually applies in this instance.

Here (in the OP) the longhand is patently false: there is certainly a range of hands which partner could have on this auction (using the AI), and the UI additionally suggests he is near the top of that range.

In gnasher's example it is true that the UI tells us nothing we didn't already believe.

#15 User is offline   ypiper 

• Pip

Posted 2013-May-03, 03:47

if UI occurs, when should it be drawn attention to? Immediately or by the end of auction?
It may create disputes over a long sequences of auction.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-03, 04:38

In order to answer a question about LAs, we surely have to know the level of the players involved. If E-W are normal club players then I would be surprised if Pass was not a LA and in this case I think action is demonstrably suggested over it given the vulnerability. We had a similar thread recently where Double was the call most suggested by UI but action was suggested over passing more generally. This case does not appear to be any different.

If E-W are of a higher level than this then it may well be that Pass is not a LA. In that case the choice is between 3 and X and now East has done the ethical thing by choosing 3. We simply do not know which of these 2 scenarios is the correct one without further information. Naturally a player poll would also be helpful.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   ypiper 

• Pip

Posted 2013-May-03, 04:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-03, 04:38, said:

In order to answer a question about LAs, we surely have to know the level of the players involved. If E-W are normal club players then I would be surprised if Pass was not a LA and in this case I think action is demonstrably suggested over it given the vulnerability. We had a similar thread recently where Double was the call most suggested by UI but action was suggested over passing more generally. This case does not appear to be any different.

If E-W are of a higher level than this then it may well be that Pass is not a LA. In that case the choice is between 3 and X and now East has done the ethical thing by choosing 3. We simply do not know which of these 2 scenarios is the correct one without further information. Naturally a player poll would also be helpful.

E/W are good standards of bridge skills (they are national trialists).

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-03, 06:55

View PostMickyB, on 2013-May-02, 13:45, said:

It seems likely to me that North bid 4S as a save. I think there's a better case for arguing that pass is a double shot - if it doesn't drift a couple off we'll get our 140 back. Obviously, double would be more of a double-shot than either pass or 4S.

Saving over 3NT, in direct seat, holding a good 6 count, when partner has opened the bidding? I guess there could be players that bad. Perhaps Hanlon's razor applies?

But yeah, I guess double would be a better double shot.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-May-03, 07:49

The player who had a logical alternative and chose the call which could not have been demonstrably suggested by UI was West.

The offender here is North. The punishment is the result. Don't look for cite; unless he plays bad Bridge on purpose, you won't find one.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-May-03, 10:39

View Postgnasher, on 2013-May-03, 01:34, said:

In practice "The UI matches the AI" has to be sufficient justification for an action, because otherwise the game would be unplayable without screens or computers.

Suppose that I open 1NT on a 13-count, showing 12-14 and knowing that it shows 12-14. Partner announces it as 12-14 and raises to 2NT. I have a hand where I would normally bid 3NT, but pass is a logical alternative. I have the UI that partner is playing the same notrump range as me, and will therefore have an 11-count rather than an 8-count. This UI suggests bidding over passing. Am I therefore obliged to pass?

The definition of "extraneous information" includes an unexpected alert or non-alert. Announcing your actual NT range is not unexpected, and isn't considered UI. The actual methods of the partnership don't become UI just because you overhear partner describing them to the opponents (unless you had misbid, and this would be correcting your misunderstanding).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users