BBO Discussion Forums: When to continue opposite an aggressive preempt? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When to continue opposite an aggressive preempt?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-06, 06:22

This hand's caused a bit of controversy between me and my P.

The bidding, (teams) goes
P P* 1C** 2D
X 4D P P
P

* On our current system is that we have to pass 10-11 counts with 5-4 in the majors. If we wanted to upgrade, the bid would be 2H (1H showing a significantly stronger hand)
**I think 1C promised 4+, but I can't remember for sure.

First Q:
Is 2D off the planet? We have the agreement that preempts opposite a passed hand are wide-ranging

Second Q:
What do you make of 4Ds, and the various alternatives? (2H not discussed in this sequence. After P P 2D(nat) P, it would just be to play, nonconstructive, and 2N or 3C would be constructive showing a max pass and good fit)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-April-06, 07:10

With a passed partner anything goes. Although I think 2 is just bad bridge, it's 4 which is off the planet.

What do you open with K972-A9842-A74-J and with K972-A9842-A74-Q in 2nd seat?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-06, 07:54

View PostFree, on 2013-April-06, 07:10, said:

What do you open with K972-A9842-A74-J and with K972-A9842-A74-Q in 2nd seat?

2H, though you might still pass the first one.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-06, 08:27

both 2d and 4d are pretty bad.

the 2d bidder has a woeful offence/defence ratio. he doesn't want to be raised. he doesn't want to get doubled in 2D. what he should want is to defend and hope things break badly.

having the agreement that you can bid like a loon doesn't mean it's sensible to exercise that option.

as for 4D, what is he scared of? he's got both majors stacked and a reasonable array of high cards. it can easily be our hand opposite a wide ranging overcall, so why offer the opps a free 300 or something when the normal contract will often just be opps labouring away in a partscore with a dodgy break. clubs is the opps' most likely trump suit, but diamonds outrank those so he can just take things slowly and fight for the partscore.

fwiw i would assume any response to a wjo by a passed hand was fit/getting the right lead.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-06, 11:52

IMO, a set of agreements which doesn't allow us to open the North hand should be re-examined. North should not be faced with the situation where South thinks we don't have an opening bid and has, thus, messed around.

If we change it to make East dealer, so it is reasonable for North to have the hand he does, I would vote for a simple, Law-abiding 3D advance and let partner worry about how silly his 2D overcall was.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-April-06, 12:01

Do you have an opening bid that covers a classic-ish weak 2 ?

If so N should bid 2 over 2 (must be FNJ style), S bids 2 and you can play 3 (if N knows 2 could be what it was).

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-06, 12:12

If I were North and had the agreement to pass all 11-counts, I'd "upgrade for the two aces" and call it a 12-count. Or for the 2.5 quick tricks. Easy peasy.

Those of us who watch the JEC matches regularly have seen that a sensible "sound initial actions" approach can be winning bridge. But that North hand screams to be opened in any system IMHO.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-April-06, 14:03

I would have thought that the only system in which the North hand doesn't open would be in Roth-Stone. Even in old-fashioned Goren, the hand has 13 points.

As for 2, that is bordering on a psyche.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-April-06, 15:22

View PostArtK78, on 2013-April-06, 14:03, said:

As for 2, that is bordering on a psyche.

It's only a psyche if it's not what you've agreed, this is plenty for me to overcall 2 but I might well decide not to.

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-06, 19:12

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-06, 11:52, said:

IMO, a set of agreements which doesn't allow us to open the North hand should be re-examined. North should not be faced with the situation where South thinks we don't have an opening bid and has, thus, messed around.

The normal alternative in Fantunes is to have 5-4 major hands open at the one level, on the theory that you can lose a fit in the other major too easily otherwise. My partner and I both decided that did more damage than it was worth to our constructive auctions. The range of 2-bid openings is nominally 10-13 (min 5431 distribution), so we decided to try only opening the ones that would make a positive (ie 12-13) rebid after a feature ask.

So you might decide this was worth giving a positive response to, which might be a different question to whether you agree with the system. I think I agree with my P's pass though, since you don't have much playing strength to offer if he doesn't show up with a decent major fit, and you don't particularly mind defending if it comes to that.

With another P I have the agreement that we open them all if NV (and third and 4th you can open them on a much wider variety of hands), only following the 'no side major' restriction if vul. So far both agreements seem to have worked pretty well.

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-April-06, 19:19

From what I know of Fantunes (and I have played a version of it), the North hand is a 2 opening (admittedly an ugly one).

In my opinion, passing the hand is likely to get your side in trouble, but I don't have enough experience with the system to know for sure.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-06, 19:21

Yes, but I recommend not compounding the problems by bidding 2D over 1C with the South hand and completing the trifecta by raising to 4D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-07, 04:06

View Postwank, on 2013-April-06, 08:27, said:

having the agreement that you can bid like a loon doesn't mean it's sensible to exercise that option.

:D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-April-07, 05:58

I think 2 is OK as long as North understands that you might have this hand. Over a preempt opponents tend to get too high rather than too low, and with this South hand I'd be delighted to see them reach a thin 4M.

The key is to be on the same wavelength, If the South hand is a 2 bid, North shouldn't bid more than 3 with his hand. That may make, or it may talk opener into doing something unsucessful. I can't see why anyone would want to show some other suit on the North hand - it's very unlikely that we can make game, and bidding 2M just gives opener more space to describe his hand.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-April-07, 09:51

View Postgnasher, on 2013-April-07, 05:58, said:

The key is to be on the same wavelength, If the South hand is a 2 bid, North shouldn't bid more than 3 with his hand. That may make, or it may talk opener into doing something unsucessful. I can't see why anyone would want to show some other suit on the North hand - it's very unlikely that we can make game, and bidding 2M just gives opener more space to describe his hand.

Because if partner's hand is x, Kxxx, QJ10xx, xxx I want partner to know he should be saving later (given the style of the WJOs).

#16 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-07, 10:08

I think 2 is just terrible, I could understand it if 1 was strong or 2-way, but it would still be too much for me.
Agree that North should make a simple raise to 3, he shouldnt be worried if they bid game with both majors breaking badly.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-15, 05:40

I wjo in this spot as aggressively as anyone I know but would generally not do so with this hand. The problem is that the ODR just does not fit for a hand with this many flaws. I do not much like 4 either. Opposite a wjo of the "anything goes" pressure school, I think it is pretty out there, with little upside and a major downside. The bottom line is that both players bid aggressively with low ODR hands. That is a recipe for disaster but you (and your partner) are in a better position than forum posters to judge which hand was closer to expectation for your agreements. If you disagree about what the agreement is then you need to sit down together and reach some kind of compromise.

I agree with others that the North hand should be opened, even in Fantunes. One of the points of the 2 level openings is that the opponents do not know what sort of hand you have - if they decide to come in at the 3 level they could easily be walking into an ambush. Also, on hands where competitive bidding is involved it is important to include the vulnerability; even more so when preempts are involved.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-April-15, 07:04

Hi,

2D is ok, I have done it, I will do it again, although not always.

4D is just ..., you have 2NT to show a max. pass with a fit, a hand you happen
to hold, why not tell partner this?

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-15, 11:21

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-April-15, 05:40, said:

I agree with others that the North hand should be opened, even in Fantunes. One of the points of the 2 level openings is that the opponents do not know what sort of hand you have - if they decide to come in at the 3 level they could easily be walking into an ambush. Also, on hands where competitive bidding is involved it is important to include the vulnerability; even more so when preempts are involved.

In Fantunes' actual system, they'd open the N hand 1H rather than 2, presumably on the grounds that with both majors the potential downsides of preempting are greater, and the potential upsides smaller.

No matter how much I try to make it fit, I can't see a sensible way of making that work for a mortal partnership without screwing up your slam-seeking sequences (according to Dan O'Neill's transcription IIRC, over a 2/1 GF followed by a bid showing the other major, potentially as weak as this, they just continue the GF...). So our current compromise is just not to open these.

#20 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-April-15, 15:59

2 if kind of offbeat. If partner bids 5 later I would be concerned we are in a phantom. I don't mind a lead in nearly any suit so I might just shut up with this hand, and not even bid 1.

4 is stretching your range a little too far I think.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users