Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find a lead

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-March-01, 05:41

Acol land. 2H was not forcing, and if you ask you're told that 5C shows 0 or 3 key cards they think.

What do you lead here?

Opps are not very good.

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 07:30

View Postmr1303, on 2013-March-01, 05:41, said:

Opps are not very good.

In that case my first impulse is to cash A and hope he hooks into my stiff K.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 07:42

View Postbillw55, on 2013-March-01, 07:30, said:

In that case my first impulse is to cash A and hope he hooks into my stiff K.

RHO showed 0 or 3 key cards and we can deduce from this that LHO has 0 or 3 key cards. Which way round do you think these will be given that LHO initiated RKCB opposite a minimum opener? Is it likely that declarer will finesse into us?
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 07:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-March-01, 07:42, said:

RHO showed 0 or 3 key cards and we can deduce from this that LHO has 0 or 3 key cards. Which way round do you think these will be given that LHO initiated RKCB opposite a minimum opener? Is it likely that declarer will finesse into us?

hmmm .. good point.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 09:24

A - no second choice. Txx in partner's hand may be enough to beat this, and our ace may disappear if we don't cash it.

My real hope is that we have several winners to cash. If they can bid a slam missing two key cards, why not three?

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-March-01, 10:04

Agree A. They could be off a lot of keycards.

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-March-01, 10:29

The Ace.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-01, 10:34

for A to be needed it loks like declarer would have to have 10 cards in the majors and AKQ, or some other lay out where he ruffs out J runs enough trumps and then the diamond goes away.

For a non diamond lead to be right all you need is that both opps are balanced with slow diamond or spade loser. I would go for a spade lead.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-March-01, 11:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-March-01, 07:42, said:

Why would we think LHO committed to slam with 3 keycards opposite a response that, if reliable, suggested that they held either 6 of the 5 keycards or 3 of them?

I'd expect LHO to hold precisely 2 keycards, but to have rejected looking for grand on the basis that the 2 nonforcing bid made it unrealistic.

If I am correct, then we hold 3 keycards and the lead almost certainly doesn't matter. I doubt the problem would be posted, so my logic has, I think, missed the point of the hand.

Anyway, I think the diamond A is still clear. I'm worried that maybe they hold 11 trump, missing the AK, and that one of them, maybe LHO, will get an immediate pitch.

Yes, the bidding sucks, and obviously this is just one of a myriad of possibilities, but we know they don't have a clue :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-March-01, 11:05

View PostFluffy, on 2013-March-01, 10:34, said:

for A to be needed it loks like declarer would have to have 10 cards in the majors and AKQ, or some other lay out where he ruffs out J runs enough trumps and then the diamond goes away.

For a non diamond lead to be right all you need is that both opps are balanced with slow diamond or spade loser. I would go for a spade lead.

I did not think as deeply about the problem in all honestly, but my gut said to lead a spade, though I considered the diamond ace as a second choice. I also considered the king of hearts, which probably gives less away than a spade in the longrun.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users