Posted 2013-February-12, 12:23

Duplicate post, please ignore

Link to correct post: http://www.bridgebas...opic/58528-sam/

#2 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-February-12, 12:33

In my opinion, if you carefully evaluate your boards at this level (intermediate/advanced), you'll find your bad boards are almost always the result of one of these:

1) Defensive errors
2) Declarer errors
3) Poor Bidding Judgment or not making a good tactical bid
4) Forgetting system

Boards where you could have gotten a better result with a better conventional agreement very very rarely come up at this level.

So you're right. Keep it simple, work on your card play (especially defense) and bidding judgment, thats where the boards are won and lost. I think if players at this level spent all their time working on defending better, they'd see the most improvement. I've focused 90% of my energies on this aspect of my game over the past 6 months and the payoff has been huge. Good bidding judgment is also critical and can only come from grinding out tons of hands against opponents better than you.

#3 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2013-February-12, 12:48

View PostWayne_LV, on 2013-February-12, 12:23, said:

... Neither of us have any interest in accumulating Masters Points or BBO points ...

at this level and not concerned that much about winning, tend to make changes that improve your partnership's enjoyment of the game
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#4 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-February-12, 12:53

View Postglen, on 2013-February-12, 12:48, said:

at this level and not concerned that much about winning, tend to make changes that improve your partnership's enjoyment of the game

Sounds to me like they want to play well and have good results but aren't interested in point accumulation.

#5 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2013-February-12, 14:38

View Postdustinst22, on 2013-February-12, 12:33, said:

In my opinion, if you carefully evaluate your boards at this level (intermediate/advanced), you'll find your bad boards are almost always the result of one of these:

1) Defensive errors
2) Declarer errors
3) Poor Bidding Judgment or not making a good tactical bid
4) Forgetting system

Boards where you could have gotten a better result with a better conventional agreement very very rarely come up at this level.

So you're right. Keep it simple, work on your card play (especially defense) and bidding judgment, thats where the boards are won and lost. I think if players at this level spent all their time working on defending better, they'd see the most improvement. I've focused 90% of my energies on this aspect of my game over the past 6 months and the payoff has been huge. Good bidding judgment is also critical and can only come from grinding out tons of hands against opponents better than you.

My analysis concurs 100% with yours. But we still review boards to reduce the number of obvious errors on our part, as well as to find System errors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users