BBO Discussion Forums: Simple ruling.. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple ruling.. with a twist...

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-January-14, 15:44

The auction has gone..

(1)-2*-(4)**-P
(4***)-P-(6)-AP

*5/5M or rare 5/4 with a solid 4 card suit
**Gerber...
***2 Aces...

Partner, who has extremely bad hearing, alerts 2 as both majors, typically 5/5 but can be 5/4 if the 4 card suit is decent. The man hears her incorrectly, and inquires, both minors? (they can sound a little alike in Swedish) Partner does not hear this and passes. Nothing else is said and the bidding stops for play. I lead the A and continue clubs into west's hand. At this point he sets his cards on the table and says I will take the rest. In this spot, thanks to BBO forum reading, called the director immediately and explained what has happened. A few others are called and eventually the best director in the club is called to explain that in this spot the claim is assumed as running your highs since no line has been stated. It seemed as if he did not know that I held the majors.

This is where the twist comes in...Do I need to clarify for my opponents what the bid was when my partner has not heard the 2nd inquiry? Does the fact that they did not hear my partner's description accurately affect anything? The spades suit was something like...

-----------------------PARD(S)
------------------------VOID
(E)dummy AKQJ75----86 (W)declarer
-----------------------T9432
------------------------ME(N)
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-January-14, 16:37

View PostRunemPard, on 2013-January-14, 15:44, said:

The auction has gone..

(1)-2*-(4)**-P
(4***)-P-(6)-AP

*5/5M or rare 5/4 with a solid 4 card suit
**Gerber...
***2 Aces...

Partner, who has extremely bad hearing, alerts 2 as both majors, typically 5/5 but can be 5/4 if the 4 card suit is decent. The man hears her incorrectly, and inquires, both minors? (they can sound a little alike in Swedish) Partner does not hear this and passes. Nothing else is said and the bidding stops for play. I lead the A and continue clubs into west's hand. At this point he sets his cards on the table and says I will take the rest. In this spot, thanks to BBO forum reading, called the director immediately and explained what has happened. A few others are called and eventually the best director in the club is called to explain that in this spot the claim is assumed as running your highs since no line has been stated. It seemed as if he did not know that I held the majors.

This is where the twist comes in...Do I need to clarify for my opponents what the bid was when my partner has not heard the 2nd inquiry? Does the fact that they did not hear my partner's description accurately affect anything? The spades suit was something like...

-----------------------PARD(S)
------------------------VOID
(E)dummy AKQJ75----86 (W)declarer
-----------------------T9432
------------------------ME(N)

I think after the auction is over and before you lead, you should inform the person who inquired of your partner that she is hard of hearing and didn't hear the question. You should make sure the question he had is clarified before you make your lead.

It absolutely affects how the hand would be played here obviously.

Still a sloppy claim imo.

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-15, 08:03

View PostRunemPard, on 2013-January-14, 15:44, said:

Partner, who has extremely bad hearing, alerts 2 as both majors, typically 5/5 but can be 5/4 if the 4 card suit is decent. The man hears her incorrectly, and inquires, both minors? (they can sound a little alike in Swedish) Partner does not hear this and passes.

I don't understand this. It isn't partner's turn to call. Your LHO hasn't gotten an answer to his question ("both minors?") yet. Why would he call before he got an answer?

The central thing in this case is: Why doesn't everybody make sure that the communication at the table runs smoothly? I truely don't see why you couldn't ask your partner: "Did you hear his question?" when you see the confusion.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-January-27, 14:23

Would it not be nice if players asked "What does 2 show?"?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-January-27, 14:55

View Postbluejak, on 2013-January-27, 14:23, said:

Would it not be nice if players asked "What does 2 show?"?
In the OP, that question seems to have been asked and answered but heard incorrectly. Then, the rhetorical question "both minors?" wasn't heard either. Perhaps the director should consider the potential misinformation before judging the faulty claim. And rule that players switch on their hearing-aids :) or insist on written explanations :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users